Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

So what's your best piece of Osceola advice ???

Started by Yoder409, March 05, 2021, 11:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on March 06, 2021, 05:36:42 PM
Depending where you are hunting in the state you may be faced with wide open pasture land, or stuff so thick and wet you wouldn't think a turkey could walk/wade through it.       

Spot on. I've seen Osceolas wade through water up to their chest, and disappear into thick stuff that you scratch your head figuring out how they did it. They don't hang up at fences and water like Easterns do.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 06, 2021, 06:19:42 PM
Food plots and roads..... Not much of a decoy guy.

Osceolas, at least to my experience, don't gobble as much as other subspecies, especially once they're on the ground. If you don't get on them right off the roost, I've done a lot of sitting and calling over decoys. I've found that running and gunning doesn't work as well on Osceolas, due to their lack of gobbling. When trying, I got busted more often than not when toms came in silent.
Food plots and road intersections are ideal locations for decoy use.
Best of luck on your hunt!!!

fallhnt

Hunt in Florida

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Yoder409

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 06, 2021, 08:35:41 PM
Avoid people ..or anywhere you suspect they will be ....and I mean be MILES away ..the turkeys are no problem....its the people that will mess you up %100 of the time

Both places are private ground, so..........  Hoping pressure to be minimal.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 06, 2021, 09:11:44 PM

Osceolas, at least to my experience, don't gobble as much as other subspecies, especially once they're on the ground. If you don't get on them right off the roost, I've done a lot of sitting and calling over decoys. I've found that running and gunning doesn't work as well on Osceolas, due to their lack of gobbling. When trying, I got busted more often than not when toms came in silent.

Will keep all this in mind.  Thank you, sir.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SD_smith

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 06, 2021, 09:29:45 PM

If it's open pastures then moving slowly around the edges and glassing can work, but the gobbling on most days is minimal once they're on the ground. You'll get some mornings when they'll gobble a bit, but those are few. I agree with intersections and blind calling. They will come in silent real quick so build a good blind for a late sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: SD_smith on March 06, 2021, 10:10:31 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 06, 2021, 09:29:45 PM

If it's open pastures then moving slowly around the edges and glassing can work, but the gobbling on most days is minimal once they're on the ground. You'll get some mornings when they'll gobble a bit, but those are few. I agree with intersections and blind calling. They will come in silent real quick so build a good blind for a late sit.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

Tom007

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 05, 2021, 11:28:02 PM
Headed down in a couple weeks to try and give a couple black wings a hard time.  Will be hunting private land.

So, I cut my teeth on Easterns.  Have managed to kill Merriam's, Rios and Gould's.  To you guys who've killed 'em all..........does anything stick out as being different about the Osceolas ??

I only ever harvested one Osceola. The one thing I learned was they are very aggressive to other Tom's. The Full Strut Gobbler decoy from Primos, I think it's called "Bubba" gets his attention real quick. It actually pulled the Tom I got away from a hen. He came about 125 yards to fight. He got TKO'd. Best of luck my friend....
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Quote from: Tom007 on March 07, 2021, 07:32:43 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on March 05, 2021, 11:28:02 PM
Headed down in a couple weeks to try and give a couple black wings a hard time.  Will be hunting private land.

So, I cut my teeth on Easterns.  Have managed to kill Merriam's, Rios and Gould's.  To you guys who've killed 'em all..........does anything stick out as being different about the Osceolas ??

I only ever harvested one Osceola. The one thing I learned was they are very aggressive to other Tom's. The Full Strut Gobbler decoy from Primos, I think it's called "Bubba" gets his attention real quick. It actually pulled the Tom I got away from a hen. He came about 125 yards to fight. He got TKO'd. Best of luck my friend....

Good to know.

I may have a trick like that up my sleeve I could pull out.   ;)
PA elitist since 1979

ChiefBubba

But most of all have fun and enjoy yourself. Take in the whole experience. Bubba

Tom007

Quote from: ChiefBubba on March 07, 2021, 07:40:25 AM
But most of all have fun and enjoy yourself. Take in the whole experience. Bubba

Amen, x2
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Quote from: ChiefBubba on March 07, 2021, 07:40:25 AM

^^^^^^^^^

THIS is ALWAYS numero uno for me when I hit the turkey woods.

At this point in my life........my turkey hunting life............the experience, the scenery, the local culture, the ride there........is ALL the point.  I love "looking at different trees" when I hunt.  The Osceola is likely the last new sub-species I'll ever chase as I don't know how badly I crave an Oscellated hunt.  Looking forward to hunting old blackwing in some palms and palmettos.

PA elitist since 1979

WV Flopper

I am a mountain hunter. I have been to Florida twice and hunted. Both times I was there, I experienced something different than what has been describe in this post. I can hear a turkey in Florida for what seems miles. The water carries the sound so well. Think of it like this, your in a boat on a pond and the guys 400 yards away in another boat are having a conversation, and you can hear every word. If in a pasture I suppose it would be different, but seeing how water covers 50% of the ground there its something to think about.

I have had trouble with locking down the locations of turkeys while gobbling in the swamps as well. It seems to me the sound is everywhere around you making it hard to locate. If you get a roosted turkey sounding off, take a couple extra minutes/gobbles to pinpoint him. In WV I can usually pin one down with two to three gobbles, not so for me in Florida.

Be prepared to get wet, have extra boots. Maybe even take a boot dryer with you for back at the camp.

God luck with your trip! I will be there the 20th for the first gobble.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 07, 2021, 08:55:08 AM
I am a mountain hunter. I have been to Florida twice and hunted. Both times I was there, I experienced something different than what has been describe in this post. I can hear a turkey in Florida for what seems miles. The water carries the sound so well. Think of it like this, your in a boat on a pond and the guys 400 yards away in another boat are having a conversation, and you can hear every word. If in a pasture I suppose it would be different, but seeing how water covers 50% of the ground there its something to think about.

I have had trouble with locking down the locations of turkeys while gobbling in the swamps as well. It seems to me the sound is everywhere around you making it hard to locate. If you get a roosted turkey sounding off, take a couple extra minutes/gobbles to pinpoint him. In WV I can usually pin one down with two to three gobbles, not so for me in Florida.

Be prepared to get wet, have extra boots. Maybe even take a boot dryer with you for back at the camp.

God luck with your trip! I will be there the 20th for the first gobble.

For me it's this way down here. I can usually tell when they get near and can tell when further off. Now that I'm older I may have a problem with direction but can still pretty much hear them far off.
Most of my hunting is done on a property that the birds don't roost on and just about all of my gobbling is heard off in the distance. Bubba

ChesterCopperpot

Set up under a wild citrus (maybe orange, maybe grapefruit) and that way you got a good breakfast whether you kill or you don't.