News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shotgun scope

Started by Jimspur, March 04, 2021, 08:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimspur

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 04, 2021, 10:03:57 AM
Scope with saddle mount, i can still use my bead if i prefer, that's how i roll in the turkey woods and fields. Just like everyone said, keep it on the low power. I use Nikon, Simmons, Tasco and Bushnell all do fine job.

That's a good setup. I already have the cantilever barrel so I really didn't want to spend more money.

the Ward

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 04, 2021, 09:56:56 AM
I like this thread. I tried a scope, not my thing. I tried a red dot, it's ok. But I went back to a dead ringer fiber optic. It works best for me. It's all preference and what works for you. Al Baker
I love the fiber optic sights too, but my eyes don't anymore lol!

ShootingABN!

My favorite is a old Simmons Pro Diamond. I couldn't afford a Leupold scope. I have a TruGlo scope on my other shotgun, the diamond is way smaller.

I hunt mostly woods, some open, some thicker, and the swamp once in a while. I have no issues so far.

Good luck.

btomlin

I have a bushnell 1.5x4.5 with the circle dot.  I tried it many years ago and after 2 gobblers(1 in timber and 1 in open, I decided it really wasn't for me.  I guess I don't remember exactly why I didn't like it.  It's been in the safe ever since.  I did get a kingslayer the other day.  The kingslayer has potential, but I'm fairly KISS so it is going to be hard for me to "give up the bead".  My biggest fear is the sight becoming "knocked off".

Jimspur

Quote from: ShootingABN! on March 04, 2021, 11:54:14 AM
My favorite is a old Simmons Pro Diamond. I couldn't afford a Leupold scope. I have a TruGlo scope on my other shotgun, the diamond is way smaller.

I hunt mostly woods, some open, some thicker, and the swamp once in a while. I have no issues so far.

Good luck.

Sounds like we hunt some of the same type of terrain.

Do you use yours with both eyes open?

Jimspur

Quote from: btomlin on March 04, 2021, 12:29:29 PM
I have a bushnell 1.5x4.5 with the circle dot.  I tried it many years ago and after 2 gobblers(1 in timber and 1 in open, I decided it really wasn't for me.  I guess I don't remember exactly why I didn't like it.  It's been in the safe ever since.  I did get a kingslayer the other day.  The kingslayer has potential, but I'm fairly KISS so it is going to be hard for me to "give up the bead".  My biggest fear is the sight becoming "knocked off".

I'm almost the same as you. I bought my setup years ago and killed a few birds with it but went back to the bead.
It's been collecting dust since then but the eyes aren't getting any younger.

wvmntnhick

I've used everything. Fiber optics, bead, red dot and scope. While I prefer a scope, they've all served me well. The biggest draw to the scope vs red dot is that it doesn't require a battery. No fear of the thing dying on me mid hunt if I forget to turn it off. But, having used them all, I'm not scared or turned off by any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Been using scopes for years. Would not change for nothing. Works great.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jimspur

I think I just need to use it more and get comfortable with it.

Which Gun

I tried a scope but after two coyotes came in super fast attacking my decoy I struggled getting on them
I did get one but with a red dot believe I could have gotten both. Missed an opportunity on a Tom with scope. My three guns have red dots.

bbcoach

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 04, 2021, 12:38:16 PM
I've used everything. Fiber optics, bead, red dot and scope. While I prefer a scope, they've all served me well. The biggest draw to the scope vs red dot is that it doesn't require a battery. No fear of the thing dying on me mid hunt if I forget to turn it off. But, having used them all, I'm not scared or turned off by any.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had a thread on here a couple of years ago about this.  Leupold states that the battery life of their red dot is 1000 hours at 4 to 8 illumination level.  If this is fact, you could leave the battery on 24 hours a day for 41 straight days.  As for me, I start out the season with a new battery every spring and toss it when the season is over to make sure I don't have a problem with leakage when not in use.  I normally only use a setting of 1 or 2 for my red dot so I should never have a problem.  So WAY OVERKILL on my part.

OJR

Quote from: the Ward on March 04, 2021, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 08:56:52 AM
I've tried to use my scope with both eyes open but I can't do it.
The view through the scope takes over and it's like my vision in my
left eye gets blurred out.
Some people have a hard time with it. Are you possibly cross-eye dominant? I had to teach myself to do it, i grew up closing one eye and it was tough training myself to do it, but it is really a better way to shoot, as it gives you better depth perception. I still find myself closing one eye occasionally though. Old habits are hard to break lol!

I have been trying to use my red dot with both eyes open for years now. I do pretty good when it's a target but in the heat of the moment when its a gobbler I instinctively close my left eye. Old habits are hard to break.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 04, 2021, 10:03:57 AM
Scope with saddle mount, i can still use my bead if i prefer, that's how i roll in the turkey woods and fields. Just like everyone said, keep it on the low power. I use Nikon, Simmons, Tasco and Bushnell all do fine job.

X10 here, my old eyes enjoy the little magnification. Add the ability to center your Point of Impact (POI) with these tight turkey loads makes them almost a necessity unless your shotgun POI lines up with the factory beads/sights.
"Solo hunter"

ShootingABN!

Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 12:32:14 PM

Good luck.

I have both eyes open to get him in the scope. Then I close one and go through my shot sequence. BOOM!

Jimspur

Quote from: ShootingABN! on March 04, 2021, 06:45:42 PM
Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 12:32:14 PM

Good luck.

I have both eyes open to get him in the scope. Then I close one and go through my shot sequence. BOOM!

That makes sense to me. Thanks