turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shotgun scope

Started by Jimspur, March 04, 2021, 08:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimspur

For all you guys with scopes - do you mostly hunt in the timber or in open areas?
I've killed a few birds with a scope but it messes with my depth perception
in the woods.

Tom007

Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 08:11:09 AM
For all you guys with scopes - do you mostly hunt in the timber or in open areas?
I've killed a few birds with a scope but it messes with my depth perception
in the woods.

I hunt both scopes and red dots. I hunt big woods (timber), but in late season it turns to thicker cover. The scope works well in both, especially in the heavy cover. You can pick out the Gobbler easy in my opinion. I love scopes, been using them for years. Hope this helps..
"Solo hunter"

bbcoach

I'm a red dot guy, Jim.  I hunt both timber and fields.  I personally like the dot because I don't have to focus on crosshairs.  I focus on red (red dot) and red (redhead / waddles) and my job is done.  Line them up and Boom! 

the Ward

I've used a 1.75x 4 on one of my guns for the last season or 2. I keep it on the lowest power and it is like using a red dot or open sights at that setting. Shooting with both eyes open i don't think i would have any issues shooting a running or flying turkey should i need a follow up. Red dots are better than a scope if you have to take a shot from a twisted or contorted position, and you don't have to worry about getting bonked with the eyepiece when shooting from a less than optimum position.

MK M GOBL

I hunt both timber and fields with a scope, no issues. I have killed birds on the wing as well, in the timber during late seasons as it gets thick a "powered" scope has helped me pick out birds amongst the leafs.

MK M GOBL

Jimspur

Thanks guys - I have a cantilever barrel for my 11-87 with a Leupold
Vari-X II 1-4x. Thinking about using it more this year.
Didn't really want to spend money on a red dot but may eventually go
that route.

Jimspur

I've tried to use my scope with both eyes open but I can't do it.
The view through the scope takes over and it's like my vision in my
left eye gets blurred out.

the Ward

Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 08:56:52 AM
Some people have a hard time with it. Are you possibly cross-eye dominant? I had to teach myself to do it, i grew up closing one eye and it was tough training myself to do it, but it is really a better way to shoot, as it gives you better depth perception. I still find myself closing one eye occasionally though. Old habits are hard to break lol!

Tom007

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 04, 2021, 08:51:21 AM
I hunt both timber and fields with a scope, no issues. I have killed birds on the wing as well, in the timber during late seasons as it gets thick a "powered" scope has helped me pick out birds amongst the leafs.

MK M GOBL

X2, same here.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 08:53:31 AM
Thanks guys - I have a cantilever barrel for my 11-87 with a Leupold
Vari-X II 1-4x. Thinking about using it more this year.
Didn't really want to spend money on a red dot but may eventually go
that route.

You will love it, great scope....like stated above, keep it on the low power. I keep my 1x4 on 2 power, great Field of view.  Be safe, good luck...
"Solo hunter"

Jimspur

Quote from: the Ward on March 04, 2021, 09:05:20 AM
Quote from: Jimspur on March 04, 2021, 08:56:52 AM
Some people have a hard time with it. Are you possibly cross-eye dominant? I had to teach myself to do it, i grew up closing one eye and it was tough training myself to do it, but it is really a better way to shoot, as it gives you better depth perception. I still find myself closing one eye occasionally though. Old habits are hard to break lol!

I'm right eye dominant. I'll just keep it on 1x and keep aiming it and
trying to get used to both eyes open.
                                   Thanks to all, Jim

bbcoach

Quote from: the Ward on March 04, 2021, 08:49:56 AM
Red dots are better than a scope if you have to take a shot from a twisted or contorted position, and you don't have to worry about getting bonked with the eyepiece when shooting from a less than optimum position.
I don't understand the science behind this but as Ward said once the gun is initially setup you can raise your head up off the stock and twist and cant the gun in any direction and the gun and dot are ONE.  I've had to twist the gun 45 degrees in my shoulder and move my head to get around trees and saplings and it adjusts for those movements.

zelmo1

I like this thread. I tried a scope, not my thing. I tried a red dot, it's ok. But I went back to a dead ringer fiber optic. It works best for me. It's all preference and what works for you. Al Baker

Greg Massey

Scope with saddle mount, i can still use my bead if i prefer, that's how i roll in the turkey woods and fields. Just like everyone said, keep it on the low power. I use Nikon, Simmons, Tasco and Bushnell all do fine job.

Jimspur

Quote from: zelmo1 on March 04, 2021, 09:56:56 AM
I like this thread. I tried a scope, not my thing. I tried a red dot, it's ok. But I went back to a dead ringer fiber optic. It works best for me. It's all preference and what works for you. Al Baker

I looked through my friends Benelli with Fastfire 3 and it was okay.
Didn't jump out to me as night and day better than my ventilated rib
with bead. Maybe peoples eyes are different and that's why people prefer
different setups.