OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking to have an 870 Wingmaster dipped...Suggestions?

Started by Cut N Run, March 02, 2021, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

I wouldn't dip it either. I inherited a Remington that belonged to my Grandpa.  12 gauge 1100. He killed a bunch of gobblers with that thing. HE taped it up with light green old school camo and to this day it still got it exactly that way. I had  a gunsmith do some work on it cuz it wouldn't cycle. I informed him what ever you do, DONT REMOVE THE CAMO TAPE! Lol. Point being, it was like Grandpa had it and hunted with it so that's the way I want it to be. Sentimental. 

Bowguy

Quote from: Cowboy on March 05, 2021, 10:53:44 PM
I wouldn't dip it either. I inherited a Remington that belonged to my Grandpa.  12 gauge 1100. He killed a bunch of gobblers with that thing. HE taped it up with light green old school camo and to this day it still got it exactly that way. I had  a gunsmith do some work on it cuz it wouldn't cycle. I informed him what ever you do, DONT REMOVE THE CAMO TAPE! Lol. Point being, it was like Grandpa had it and hunted with it so that's the way I want it to be. Sentimental.
Funny you say that, I don't mean to hijack the op post but my uncle recently passed. My cousin asked me to take his old recurve and shoot a deer w it. He gave me the bow. It's only an old Kodiak but means a lot. He spray painted it black and I understand the sentiment behind leaving it as he had it. I'll never change that either

captpete

I definitely would NOT dip that gun. If you want to hunt it and think you need it camo, use this:  https://www.mossyoakgraphics.com/shotgun-wrap-mossy-oak-camo-gun-skin

Pretty easy to apply, inexpensive, won't hurt the natural finish of the gun and can be removed without any indication you had the wrap on the gun. If you take your time, have some patients, access to a hairdryer and an exacto knife, nobody will know it was wrapped instead of dipped when you're done.

Check out this thread:  http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,101692.0.html

Cut N Run

Quote from: Cowboy on March 05, 2021, 10:53:44 PM

I wrapped my old Stevens single shot in camo tape that it still wears.  I killed every turkey I shot at with that gun (17) for the 10 years I hunted with it, including (an accidental) one shot double.  It has a fixed modified choke, so I had to call 'em in close, or give 'em a pass for another day.  Knowing I had limited range definitely made me a better turkey hunter...having a great place to hunt where he might survive a while helped too.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.  I met Jim Crumley back in the early 1980s and still have some TreBark camo he made.  I like the idea of having a gun dipped in an old school pattern by him, but after reading the replies here, I'll keep my Grandfather's gun as close to original as I can & look for a 3" 20 ga. 870 somewhere that is better suited for dipping.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.