OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking to have an 870 Wingmaster dipped...Suggestions?

Started by Cut N Run, March 02, 2021, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

I inherited a 20 ga. 870 Wingmaster from my Grandfather.  It has the grooved forearm, walnut stock, and a six digit serial number, probably from the first or second year of production.  My idiot older brother bulged the barrel at the choke from shooting slugs through it, one right after the other when the barrel was hot.  He planned to saw the barrel off and keep it in the trunk of his car as an alley sweeper (told you he was an idiot).  I traded him a junker 12 ga. side by side that he immediately cut the barrel down on.  He will NEVER lay a finger on that 870 again as long as I'm alive.

Anyway, I had William at Sumtoy cut and thread the barrel below the bulge & bought a choke from him to rig it up for turkeys. It has a 2.75 inch chamber, but that will be plenty with today's TSS loads.  I want to get it dipped, but I have no experience with who does quality work and who I should stay away from.  I appreciate any suggestions/costs/pictures.  This gun means a lot to me and I'd love to get it back in the field, doing what it was intended for. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

lunghit

I will be sending a gun to Tarjac real soon. They have excellent reviews and I have spoken to them a few times. So far they have been very good and answered all my questions. Hope to have the gun to them next week.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

shatcher

Bowguy

Wow your grandfathers wingmaster dipped? God forbid. You'll drastically lower the value of a great gun. Given the state of things they could be a gun of the past someday. I'd strongly reconsider that

2eagles

Cut N Run

Thanks for the replies.  I have not totally committed to having it dipped.  Didn't realize they were worth that much? 

It is all machined and solid, way before Remington dreamed of adding stamped parts to any of their guns.  I killed a bunch of doves and ducks with it before my (idiot) brother bulged the barrel.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

lunghit

I have two 870's from the good years. One is a 1967 and the other my dad bought me when I was a young kid in 1992. About 15 years ago I made the mistake of giving the one from 1992 a home made paint job and it's been in the safe since. I am going to have it cerakoted in a black finish or even dipped in a camo pattern that was popular at the time. I'm thinking Greenleaf
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

BINK McCARTY

ABSOLUTELY-POSITIVELY NO WAY I'D GET THAT GUN DIPPED...YOUR (IDIOT BROTHER)...LMAO HAS ALREADY DEFILED THIS GUN ENOUGH. Buy a new Retay to beat and bang around in the turkey woods. You won't be disappointed!
retayusa.com

Swampchickin234

Just hunt it natural!   Those deserve wood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Tom

Cut N Run, I have dipped my 870 that is a '92 model that I bought many years ago off a guy that hunted with it one time....put in the safe and oiled it once a year. Had been shot only 1 time. Have all the paper work, chokes, etc. I replaced the  walnut stock with Remington black synthetic stock and forarm. Sent mine to Jim Crumley Camo in Virginia and had it done in the Mossy Oak Bottomland pattern....he does perfect work. Been several years now and looks like new still. He even put swivel screw in stock and the swivel in forarm. He has done 3 of my guns over the years and his web site use to show all the patterns to choose from. Good luck.

Uncle Tom

Cut N Tun, mine is a Wingmaster also, forgot to post that. Brings new life to that ole gun.

briton

My 2 cents is don't dip the wingmaster! Keep it original and find a used 870 to get dipped.

owlhoot

Would be a hard decision . With the barrel change it would be devalued I would think. But has sentimental value to you. Believe I would leave it alone and get another with a 3" chamber and have it dipped.

Tsawyer340

The wingmaster especially grandpas deserves better than a dip. If you want it to have some camo I would pick up and extra barrel and stock to have dipped.