OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tss through tight choke

Started by thundrchikin, March 02, 2021, 09:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundrchikin

I've been thinking over this for awhile maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on the forum can enlighten me. It seems to me with the hardness and density of tss shooting it through a tite for gauge choke could pose some potential problems. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me if you have a heavy payload of tss traveling down the bore and it suddenly "hits" a tight choke it would almost be like hitting a wall for better lack of words. Would this not potentially blow choke or pull barrel threads or something. I dont believe with a more open choke the potential would be as great as the shot would flow through the choke better. Maybe I'm way off base not sure.

BandedSpur

Turkey size TSS (7-9) flows fine through tight chokes. The problem with hard shot and tight chokes is generally associated with large steel shot (F-BB), although similar size TSS and HS could exhibit the same problems. Large shot tends to "bridge" together and not flow through the choke like smaller shot. After hundreds of rounds of turkey size TSS, I have never experienced nor have I ever heard of anyone experiencing an issue. Having said that, I would still stay away from super tight chokes like the .643 SSX choke in 12 gauge. TSS shoots better patterns IME with chokes in the .665-.690 range anyway.

Ridge Rooster

I have shot some impressive patterns with a Carlson 640 and 650 with Apex 3.5 2 1/4oz loads. Does not seem to blow patterns. Carlson's TSS chokes are tight. They designed them that way for a reason.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Ridge Rooster

Also seen a lot of great groups come out of Indian Creek 555 which is on the tight side for the 20's.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

owlhoot

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on March 03, 2021, 09:51:17 AM
I have shot some impressive patterns with a Carlson 640 and 650 with Apex 3.5 2 1/4oz loads. Does not seem to blow patterns. Carlson's TSS chokes are tight. They designed them that way for a reason.

Ridge Rooster
That works great with the Federal shells too. Carlson's .640 for the 12 and .555 for the 20.