turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you were going to buy one GREAT all around shotgun

Started by POk3s, March 02, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

The mossberg 535's are good guns too but as far as I know they're the lightest weight 3 1/2" chambered gun ever made besides the h&r single shot. I've shot the nova, 835, 870 super mag, and win sx2 all with magnum loads and they will all get your attention for sure. But a 535 turkey thug with 20" barrel and lightweight collapsible stock will take your breath away, possibly cause a slight black out, and cross and water your eyes all at the same time!! I can't imagine waterfowl hunting with one even a few times a year.lol As a matter of fact everyone I know that had them sold them quickly or they never shoot 3 1/2's in them after their first try. They all shoot 3" loads in them.

Kylongspur88

Remington 870. I've seen these guns get absolutely abused in the duck blind or goose field and never an issue.  Mossberg makes a great pump but they rattle like a coke can filled with rocks and I'm just partial to the trigger safety

idgobble

zelmo1

Not a bad suggestion on this thread. I would go with a Browning Gold Semi, Maxus now. I have killed every legal game species up here except for a moose. The pattern master code black turkey choke is the best I ever tried on it and I tried them all. Good luck, al

Turkeytider

Quote from: lunghit on March 02, 2021, 08:56:04 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 02, 2021, 08:10:45 PM
I am glad Remington is coming back. Would love to see the old quality come back too.

Are they coming back? That is great news. I still have my 1992 Remington 870 Wingmaster that I am thinking of having cerakoted. But right now I like my Winchester SX3 and it would be my top pick.

I think most, if not all of us hope so, but I`m not sure it`s definite that they`ll be back.

rakkin6

Mossberg 835, can handle 3.5" if you so choose (I don't no need but some still like them) the gun is back bored. Throws a nasty pattern with Longbeard XR and most chokes in the .675 range. Very well balanced gun and it will not break the bank.

If money is not a consideration my wife bought me a Benelli SBE3 turkey gun for a retirement present from the Army which is phenomenal also. But for the money I go with the 835 and mine will be in the woods with me at least 50% of the time this year with some #9 TSS.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

turkey_picker

Winchester 1300 12ga with 22" barrel and laminated stock. It is the best gun for me.

Dtrkyman

A Beretta or Benelli semi auto 20ga or O/U.  I do hunt waterfowl and upland, while I do use a 12ga for waterfowl a 20 will do just fine, I shoot decoying birds and the 20 works well.

I prefer the weight and the way a 20ga handles.

owlhoot

Quote from: catman529 on March 02, 2021, 03:54:50 PM
An older walnut stock 870

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This right here. can't beat it. All around gun 12 gauge 26" barrel. Points good , swings good.
Don't shine and spook game. Don't rattle around. Plenty of choke tubes available.
Why not a 835 ?  Every swing one of those in the quail and pheasant fields ? Its a good point and shoot turkey gun no doubt , but upland gun? Deer hunt with an 835 ? No slugs without a new barrel.

Marc

Frankly there is no "Great" all around gun.

Inertia operated guns are great for reliability, but recoil more.
Gas guns recoil less, but take more time to clean, and are more apt towards jamming.

The preferred 28" barrel for waterfowl is a bit long for fast-swinging upland...  Not optimal for turkey hunting either.
A 26" barrel is probably the best all-around length, but not optimal for waterfowl or dove/pigeon shooting.
A 24" barrel is good for turkey, but horrible for waterfowl, and a bit too "whippy" for even upland.

O/U's are probably the best for reliability, and many shooters shoot better with them (including me).  You are limited to two shells, and they recoil with stout load, and can be heavy to carry around.

Pumps are affordable and reliable and allow for 3 shots...  But they recoil far more than an auto, and you get more barrel jump than an auto or O/U, and you have to pump them.

That is why you have to convince the wife of the necessity of multiple hunting and clay shooting guns. ;D

Personally, I shoot a 28" Beretta 12 ga. for waterfowl and turkey.  The longer barrel does not bother me for turkey hunting...  I shoot a 26" Beretta 20 ga. for most upland...  When I run out of turkey ammo for my 12 ga., I will likely invest in ammo for the 20 ga. and use that.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

budtripp

Benelli SBE2 and be done with it. Probably one of the best do it all shotguns ever made.

Moneyball11

H&K imported SBE1 if you can find one. The GOAT in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

Older 870 , can be used as a boat paddle to a zombie killer !

hoythunter

If you decide to go with a semi auto check out Browning maxus. I've used mine for everything including sporting clays waterfowl and turkeys.

timberjack86