OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you were going to buy one GREAT all around shotgun

Started by POk3s, March 02, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old3toe

My first choice would be mossberg 835. Very versatile and very dependable. Then mossberg 500 then remington 870. It really is hard to narrow it all down to one but I've had various 870's, winchesters, couple over and unders, side by sides, autos, and single barrels. I still have an over and under, 870 pump, and various others but my all time favorite is the moss 835. It's built like a tank, has a million chokes made for it. Can cover any type of hunting and shooting available in America, has a back bored barrel and will throw superior patterns compared to most guns with most loads. They're just plain hard to beat. I hunted with a binelli nova for a long time but it finally started getting heavy and cumbersome to me. The pump rattle was louder then any other pump I've had as well. Spooked two different birds with it because the 26" barrel hung on brush and pulled it off of my shoulder. All around it was a great gun but started to feel like I was fighting it to maneuver it through the thick places I hunt and then I got paranoid about the rattle. After 15 years I parted with it. Basically though it all boils down to what feels and looks good to you. But I'm still leaning torwards mossberg.lol

vt35mag

I have mossberg 500s, 535s, and an 835.
For more of a do-all pump, I would say a 535. It's the same as a 500, but can chamber a 3-1/2. Maybe you don't plan on shooting 3-1/2s, but it gives you the option. Especially if it was something you wanted for the few times you go for waterfowl. It's lighter and more maneuverable than the 835. The 835 is more barrel heavy, but you get the 10ga bore as a trade off. If you are an avid 3-1/2in user I might change my suggestion to the 835. On average it patterns 3-1/2in shells better.

POk3s

Quote from: old3toe on March 02, 2021, 05:27:21 PM
  My first choice would be mossberg 835. Very versatile and very dependable. Then mossberg 500 then remington 870. It really is hard to narrow it all down to one but I've had various 870's, winchesters, couple over and unders, side by sides, autos, and single barrels. I still have an over and under, 870 pump, and various others but my all time favorite is the moss 835. It's built like a tank, has a million chokes made for it. Can cover any type of hunting and shooting available in America, has a back bored barrel and will throw superior patterns compared to most guns with most loads. They're just plain hard to beat. I hunted with a binelli nova for a long time but it finally started getting heavy and cumbersome to me. The pump rattle was louder then any other pump I've had as well. Spooked two different birds with it because the 26" barrel hung on brush and pulled it off of my shoulder. All around it was a great gun but started to feel like I was fighting it to maneuver it through the thick places I hunt and then I got paranoid about the rattle. After 15 years I parted with it. Basically though it all boils down to what feels and looks good to you. But I'm still leaning torwards mossberg.lol

I was going to ask specifically about the 835 but was hopeful for this type of response so I didn't have to phish for the answer I wanted. Awesome to hear thank you!

POk3s

Quote from: vt35mag on March 02, 2021, 05:52:14 PM
I have mossberg 500s, 535s, and an 835.
For more of a do-all pump, I would say a 535. It's the same as a 500, but can chamber a 3-1/2. Maybe you don't plan on shooting 3-1/2s, but it gives you the option. Especially if it was something you wanted for the few times you go for waterfowl. It's lighter and more maneuverable than the 835. The 835 is more barrel heavy, but you get the 10ga bore as a trade off. If you are an avid 3-1/2in user I might change my suggestion to the 835. On average it patterns 3-1/2in shells better.

Thank you for the response! I used to think I was big and bad and needed the 3 1/2" but I've since toned it down some. I would still like the ability to use them however as sometimes, around here, the 3 1/2" waterfowl loads are on sale or simply just available.

vt35mag

You will get pump rattle but the couple that have seen the most use have quieted down and you don't get it at all when holding it into your shoulder.

shatcher

I'd go with a Browning o/u.  Lots of choices in the Citori and Cynergy lines.  Automatic - Winchester SX4.  Pump - New, Browning BPS; used, older 870.

THattaway

Franchi affinity. Loved some 870s in my time but that franchi is a sweet gun. You won't find one easier to break down and clean either.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

IAwoodsman

For an all around gun I would go with a benelli, 26" barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

If I had to pick just 1, It would be a Browning Bps, 12 gauge 3.5" 24 or 26" in a camo finish.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

paboxcall

Winchester 1300 - 22" smoothbore and a cantilever rifled barrel.

No matter the season, I wouldn't feel under gunned nor functionally challenged.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Vintage

Tom007

Great thread. I always was an over-under, semi auto fan till I joined the forum. Since then, after reading about some of the great pumps, I added a few laminated NWTF pumps to my collection. They are great, one is the Buck & Beard model with rifle sights. Love them both. Then I started reading about the Old Original Greenleaf and Bottomland 870's. My search began. Finally, through a friend I got an Original Bottomland 870 in mint condition with the original sling and paperwork. It has a 26 inch barrel, and I have all the original chokes. There is something smooth about the action, and there is very apparent evidence that the gun is well made. You can feel that this gun is built like a tank, it was made in the early 90's. After handling it, I can see why they are sought after. I believe it is one of the Ultimate turkey guns ever made. It throws a mean pattern too. I am searching for a Greenleaf 870 with the 21 inch barrel. Might never land one, but I will keep pursuing one. My first shotgun was a Light weight 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster pump. I sold it several years ago, a mistake I regret. I am glad Remington is coming back. Would love to see the old quality come back too. Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

bigriverbum

Quote from: THattaway on March 02, 2021, 06:37:29 PM
Franchi affinity. Loved some 870s in my time but that franchi is a sweet gun. You won't find one easier to break down and clean either.

i'm going to get one of these some day. synthetic stock because i think that's all that's available for lefties.

that thing shoulders so perfectly for me. the balance of the gun feels so much better to me than a mossberg or beretta a300

Old Gobbler

"On April 13, 2009, the ten millionth Model 870 was made"

There is a reason why ...with that said its a pump , but for turkey hunters thats pretty much a non issue

Aftermarket parts are everywhere
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

lunghit

Quote from: Tom007 on March 02, 2021, 08:10:45 PM
I am glad Remington is coming back. Would love to see the old quality come back too.

Are they coming back? That is great news. I still have my 1992 Remington 870 Wingmaster that I am thinking of having cerakoted. But right now I like my Winchester SX3 and it would be my top pick.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"