OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

If you were going to buy one GREAT all around shotgun

Started by POk3s, March 02, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Everything has gotten so specialized today. Used to be you just used whatever shotgun you had and picked the shells you needed for what you were going to hunt and away you went.

POk3s

Quote from: the Ward on March 03, 2021, 01:54:26 PM
Everything has gotten so specialized today. Used to be you just used whatever shotgun you had and picked the shells you needed for what you were going to hunt and away you went.

That's exactly why I started this thread. I like having one gun to turn to for everything. I own a tikka 300 win mag, I have the upmost confidence in it and I use it for anything from antelope to elk. Even taking it pig hunting this weekend. My thought process is the same with shotguns. I like to have one that can do it all. It's how I've always used my shotguns but the next one I buy I want to be confident in killing whatever I'm after with it.

For arguments sake and for everybody who might be wondering I currently use a Remington m887. It was free and I am deadly with it on everything but it hasn't come without some growing pains. It's point of aim with turkey loads is a foot low and a foot left. After rifling through 3 different kinds of chokes and every kind of ammo I could get my hands on. I finally figured out that it's most accurate with its factory "full" choke and heavi shot. It just shoots a foot low with this combination. I like them to stretch their neck out, aim at the top of the head and let er fly  :turkey2:

Big Jeremy

I've owned a lot of shotguns over the years, and shot even more. As far as a "best all around", I keep coming back to an 870. I've had older ones, and more recent, and never had a single issue out of any of them. Older ones are higher quality, though.

A close second IMO, and first choice if going the SA route, would be the Browning Maxus. Excellent gun. Obviously, it would cost you quite a bit more than a pump gun.

Tail Feathers

I've become a fan of the 20 gauge.  Since I only hunt ducks, some dove and turkeys, my Winchester SX3 Universal Hunter (drilled and tapped from factory) with a 26" barrel has killed all of those for me, I'll go with that gun. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Brian Fahs

I picked up a franchi affinity 3 in 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel. Shoulders like a dream and shoots nice. It is very similar in appearance and feel to my benelli m2. At about 1/2 the price of the benelli it's a dam good all around gun.
If on a tighter budget an old remington 870 would be hard to beat.

ShootingABN!

I didn't read 4 pages worth of responses.

I did see if you could go with older 870 you can find them in pawn shops.

Or new.
Mossberg 500

I did see that you said you don't care for semi-auto. I just picked up a Mossberg 930 turkey so it has .670 XX full choke and mossy oak camo 24" barrel. I like it so far.
I did put in a different spring for the trigger pull. I'm also ordering a different choke. This gun will be for turkey and small game. I don't hunt ducks so? Barrel might be to short for you.

Good luck.

zombiewoof

870 gets my vote. Reliable and easy to find parts.

Boykin Hollow

WildTigerTrout

I only own one shotgun that is NOT dedicated to turkey hunting.  It's a 1959 vintage Field Grade Winchester Model 12 28" barrel fixed modified choke in 12 ga.  It is my "All Around" shotgun for everything but turkeys! I honestly can't think of any other shotgun I would rather carry for pheasants, rabbits, grouse etc.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Bowguy

If you could find an old 870, if not it's obviously a BPS

LRD

There's many good ones, but the 870 and preferably an older one would get the nod from me.

Loyalist84

Either an 870 Wingmaster made between '87 and '93, or a modern BPS.

the Ward

Most of my hunting revolves around waterfowl and turkey, with a spritzer of occasional deer. I would say a good all around shotgun would be a 12 gauge auto, 26" barrel with screw in chokes and factory drilled and tapped receiver. Easily available accessories for it like steadygrips, mag extensions, and scope/red dot mounts. Weight would be 7.5# or so loaded up. I have a Benelli vinci that fit's that bill and love it. I have long lusted for the new Browning A5 16 gauge with a 26" barrel, so one day soon that will probably be my all around gun of choice for my hunting, although it doesn't meet my own list of criteria lol!

wvmntnhick

Fierce Mayhem. Depending on your budget of course. It's a benelli but cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7shooter