turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you were going to buy one GREAT all around shotgun

Started by POk3s, March 02, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

A little backstory- I had tried to research best I can but simply can't find a starting point on what I'm asking. Google links show the best "all around shotguns" and then add in tactical and home defense. Other articles have to throw in their sponsors or you can tell they are one sided towards a particular manufacturer that gives them money. So, I figured I would just ask.

If you were to buy one more shotgun what would it be. I hunt waterfowl a handful of times per year, I also hunt upland game once or twice. Then, obviously I travel around hunting turkeys in the spring, and even have hunted a few "shotgun only" deer  areas in my day. So, does anyone have a bead on something that would do all of those well!? Would it still be the Remington 870? The last few years the quality seems to have dipped and I'd hate to hang my hat on something that's not what it once was. Maybe a mossberg 500? I don't need semi auto, as I've used pumps all my life but id really purchase one at any "realistic" price point for a shotgun that gets used and abused and doesn't sit on the shelf for decor. Thanks for any info you might have.

notsure

Prior to Remington's demise, I'd have suggested the 870. Simple, inexpensive, plenty of aftermarket, and reliable. But today, my nod would go to the Mossberg 500.

ChesterCopperpot

I'm going 12ga 26" Benelli Supernova. They shoulder good for me, have a good choke system, and are a seemingly bomb proof action. Wouldn't bother me a bit to drop it in a duck blind, crawl through the mud with it chasing turkeys, or tote it on a deer drive. Hell, I took one squirrel hunting this year when the woods were still good and thick. In an all around all purpose shotgun I want a beater that just keeps on firing and that one fits the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

POk3s

Quote from: notsure on March 02, 2021, 02:01:20 PM
Prior to Remington's demise, I'd have suggested the 870. Simple, inexpensive, plenty of aftermarket, and reliable. But today, my nod would go to the Mossberg 500.

Yep. I looked at a few 870s and just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on one. Kind of glad I did it. I'd like to have a short list and go swing a few around the store to see which one I liked best.

POk3s

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 02, 2021, 02:09:30 PM
I'm going 12ga 26" Benelli Supernova. They shoulder good for me, have a good choke system, and are a seemingly bomb proof action. Wouldn't bother me a bit to drop it in a duck blind, crawl through the mud with it chasing turkeys, or tote it on a deer drive. Hell, I took one squirrel hunting this year when the woods were still good and thick. In an all around all purpose shotgun I want a beater that just keeps on firing and that one fits the bill.

My dad has a Benneli. I believe it's the nova and the gun is "loud". Like the pump part of the gun fits loosely to the gun, even though everything is tight, and it rattles as he walks. It drives me absolutely batty and I've heard of others mentioning this too, but nobody has really mentioned this with the super novas.

jhoward11

I think we need to define great, but if we are talking about a quality gun, with a quality price, that can be used as a better than average gun in multiple areas....I would go with the Mossberg 500. Several yrs. ago..maybe the 870, but not anymore. But that's my opinion....I'm sure others have had other makes that excelled in several areas also.

tal

For 'all around' I'd pick a 12 gauge. Browning BPS, a Benelli for inertial action bomb proof, or even a Beretta Xtreme Plus, the gas will function with low recoil loads.

2eagles

Going with 870's not being what they used to be, what about 870 WINGMASTERS? Mine is from 1975 and while I have other shotguns, if I could only have one, it's the one I would keep. Smooth, reliable and beautiful. I have used it to kill most everything huntable in Iowa. Because I'd never shot a turkey with it, I snagged a Primos choke, bought some Turkey Thug shells and shot a turkey. Wingmaster can do it all!

catman529

An older walnut stock 870

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turkeytider

Quote from: POk3s on March 02, 2021, 02:11:23 PM
Quote from: notsure on March 02, 2021, 02:01:20 PM

Yep. I looked at a few 870s and just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on one. Kind of glad I did it. I'd like to have a short list and go swing a few around the store to see which one I liked best.

Of course now, you`d be lucky to find an 870 Wingmaster for under 1K. That`s IF you can find one at all. I wouldn`t hesitate to buy one for an all around gun. My Remingtons, to include some relatively recently manufactured guns ( a V3 in `17, an 870 Express manufactured in `15 ) have been flawless.

jordanz7935

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

g8rvet

I would find an older 870 - like about an 80's model.  Wingmaster would be nice but a lot more coin.  I would hunt the pawn shops and such.  Then I would put some new furniture on it (like camo synthetic).  My son took the one I bought in 89 - had a 26" barrel and it has killed - ducks, geese, turkey, deer, hog, squirrels, dove, 1 possum ;), and shot skeet and sporting clays.  Never a hiccup.  Same extractor.  Parts are easy to get. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Kygobblergetter

If I was looking for a true do it all gun it would probably be a benelli sbe 2. I've had mine for several years now. They are higher priced than most of the guns mentioned but mine has never had an issue and I've crawled through plenty of mud with it and even used it as a kayak paddle. Great feeling gun for waterfowl and a deadly shooter for turkeys even though it hasn't been carried on a turkey hunt in a few years now since I switched to a 20 gauge

POk3s

Thank you guys. I know there are plenty of "what's the best gun" threads but I couldn't find an answer to what I wanted. It doesn't look like my short list is changing much except for adding that benneli to it!  If I trip over an old 870 I won't give it a second thought to buy it. Mostly if we can get some banquets going again, I'd like to be ready to wheel and deal with a guy if he ends up winning the one I want hahahaha!

No franchi fans?? Maybe not best for an all around hunting gun but it was on my list too.