OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW VEST

Started by MCturkey, March 02, 2021, 07:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCturkey

In the market for a new vest this year. Been using the ALPZ GRAND SLAM the past couple years. I like the storage but its just too big/heavy.

What do you like/use? Anything new hit the market this year?

Tom007

Quote from: MCturkey on March 02, 2021, 07:36:07 AM
In the market for a new vest this year. Been using the ALPZ GRAND SLAM the past couple years. I like the storage but its just too big/heavy.

What do you like/use? Anything new hit the market this year?

I know what you mean about heavy vests. I do a lot of mountain walking, after a few hours, all vests get heavy.   Look at the Badlands, O'l Tom, and Grounded(new Vest developed by a forum member). They are all fairly light and hold enough for a comfortable hunt. Great seats on all 3. There are tons of options out there. They all work great, it's all a function of how much we put in them. The strap type that have padded straps work well for me, when sitting against a tree, they are out of the way maneuvering to get a shot. I leave the vest unbuckled (open) will sitting. It's all preference, your size, and how much you want to carry. Hope this helped, best of luck. You will get a lot of advice from others on this that will help you out.
"Solo hunter"

ThunderChickenGetter

Check out the Grounded Impact vest. Designed by a member in here, made in America, and a quality vest. I got one in the mail yesterday and i was very impressed. The layout of the pockets are very nice, it's light weight, and quality built. Most of all it's made in the USA. I'll be carrying one to the woods this year. I told my Grand Slam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

If you want light weight look at the Knight and Hale RNG, I use the 200. The grounded vest looks really nice, but 4.6 lbs is hardly light.

MCturkey

I do like the looks of the grounded impact. But seems its sold out in bottomland. Ill contact them and see when it'll be available. Thanks

cknpro1

I just got a new version Ol' Tom T&M Easy Rider and I think it will be my ultimate choice over the Nomad MG for the very concerns stated by the OP. It is lighter and very comfortable wearing. I purchased both but may not remove the tags from the Nomad for return. Nomad's a great vest no doubt, and it was a hard choice just looking at them. But when I loaded both up and wore them around for a while, the difference became obvious. Ol' Tom is simply more comfortable. Unless the first couple hunts reveals hidden flaws, it's the clear winner for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swamp

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 02, 2021, 09:38:14 AM
If you want light weight look at the Knight and Hale RNG, I use the 200. The grounded vest looks really nice, but 4.6 lbs is hardly light.
How do you like that vest? Thats what I'm looking into getting but haven't seen one in person to see how much stuff I could actually carry in one.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: MCturkey on March 02, 2021, 10:10:21 AM
I do like the looks of the grounded impact. But seems its sold out in bottomland. Ill contact them and see when it'll be available. Thanks
$180 for a turkey vest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PALongspur

Quote from: cknpro1 on March 02, 2021, 10:34:27 AM
I just got a new version Ol' Tom T&M Easy Rider and I think it will be my ultimate choice over the Nomad MG for the very concerns stated by the OP. It is lighter and very comfortable wearing. I purchased both but may not remove the tags from the Nomad for return. Nomad's a great vest no doubt, and it was a hard choice just looking at them. But when I loaded both up and wore them around for a while, the difference became obvious. Ol' Tom is simply more comfortable. Unless the first couple hunts reveals hidden flaws, it's the clear winner for me.

Did they redesign the Easy Rider for this year?

HILBY72

Ol Tom Easy Rider for me.. light and carries just the right amount of gear

cknpro1

Quote from: PALongspur on March 02, 2021, 08:11:13 PM
Quote from: cknpro1 on March 02, 2021, 10:34:27 AM

Did they redesign the Easy Rider for this year?
I don't know. I don't think so. I picked up a used one, but it is exactly like the new one I saw at BPS. I wasn't sure I'd like it until I loaded it up and was surprised how it well it wore. Feels significantly lighter than he Nomad.

bushwhacker

The knight and hale 200 is awesome in my opinion. Just enough room, highly adjustable, and super light.

PharmHunter

The new Nomad Pursuit vest just hit their site finally!  More of a minimalist setup than their other vests.  Reasonably priced too.  I'd check it out.

NHCOR

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on March 02, 2021, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: MCturkey on March 02, 2021, 10:10:21 AM
$180 for a turkey vest?

Plus $30 for shipping

Stick

I picked up a RnG 300 to try this season and think it will work, just not crazy about the pot calls being so exposed. 

I'm keeping my Tactical Tat'r 2 handy just incase.