turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 535

Started by RED NECK, February 27, 2021, 09:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I got up earlier and decided that I needed more ammo, and seeing as It's freezing rain and nasty outside, I wouldn't be shooting today. I went for a drive, and came home with a 535 3.5" 22" mossberg. I was not planning on buying a gun but they were marked down 44% off, so I bought one. I know these kick like mules as a good friend won one at a turkey dinner a decade ago.This one is moob finish with the marble sights.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Meleagris gallopavo

Good score.  Have fun sighting it in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

rakkin6

I have one, DON'T SHOOT 3.5" SHELLS IF YOU HAVE FILLINGS LOL. They do kick harder than anything I think I have shot. Mine patterns really well with an Indian Creek .665 and 3" Winchester Longbeard XR #6 1 7/8 loads.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

RED NECK

I just put it together and cleaned barrel. I have put a dozen or so 3.5" turkey shells through my buddies 535, It is the 2nd hardest kicking shotgun I have shot, with my tc 12 gauge single being the hardest. I really like the marble sights on this gun, hope its shoots poa. I will be shooting 3.5" from this beast, longbeards in 4,5 or 6's.

RED NECK

When I take it out to pattern, I have a trulock .660, Carlson's tss .640 ,hs strut undertaker .675 and xx full .670 stock choke It comes with,I am going to try and get 3.5" #4 longbeards to pattern.

twyatt

I have one, kicks like a mule and I refuse to shoot 3.5's out of it, but with a Carlson's ported .660 it throws a killer pattern with everything I put in it.  3" longbeard 6's and Federal TSS 9's are smoking good, and the gun is light and easy to carry.
I cringe every year though just thinking about checking the pattern before season.  It jumps clean out of my lead sled, shucks itself, and bout knocks my hat off, and that's with 3" lol.   I don't feel it when hunting during the excitement, and it patterns WAY too good to get rid of it, but it has become my backup gun now. 

RED NECK

It will be a backup backup that I use sparingly for sure. I  agree its a beast with recoil.I  just like collecting shotguns.

RED NECK

I am already working on a new gun, Browning silver nwtf 3", Ill know later if the man wants to ship it.I already talked to him on phone,he was on road and will be home after dinner, I want that gun real bad.

Tom007

Good luck with the new Mossy
"Solo hunter"

lunghit

Good luck with the new gun. Not your model but I bought an 835 way back in the mid 90's and used that thing hunting the salt marshes by me and it never missed a beat. I sold that gun years ago and wished I had it back. I have the 835 Tactical Turkey that sits in my safe now. Bought it brand new for a dedicated turkey gun and actually never shot it. I decided to get a softer shooting semi and now own a few of those for turkey. Enjoy the new gun.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

jrmcclure

I have got one of these and have had it for years. They are fairly mild with a 3" 2oz hevishot loads or 3" 1 3/4oz tss loads. I guess it due to the reduced payload and velocity that these typical run. That being said when I first bought it I felt the need to shoot magnum velocity 3 1/2" 2.25oz lead loads out of it and they kicked the snot out of me everytime. I hope I never shoot another 3 1/2" lead load through mine. The hevi and tss loads are easier on the shoulder and shot 10 time better anyway, so the decision was an easy one.

Mine is lighter than my 870 20 gauge turkey setup and a full 2 pounds lighter than my 12 gauge 870.

Mallard1897

I have a 535 that was sold as a field/turkey combo. Only time I've seen a gun sold with a smooth bore cantilever barrel. I used to run it with the 28" barrel for turkey with 3-1/2s and put a scope on the other barrel for rifled slugs for deer. Shot a bunch of everything (turkeys, ducks, geese, and deer) with it. Guess the 3-1/2s never bothered me for turkey since I used to throw quite a bit through it in the goose blind.

Used to be the go to before it started having mechanical issues. It will occasionally be out of timing and let a round out of the magazine tube either before or after the elevator would drop into place. I replaced the cartridge interrupter, magazine spring and elevator and still to this day of you baby it when working the action, it still has the occasional FTF. Hopefully it's just a problem with the original model and you don't have any issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I was all set and even packed the 535 and my bps up and was planning to fire a few shells but, It is -22 and It is supposed to warm up this week. I really am Itching to get out and pattern, so tired of this sickening weather. I'm going next weekend even if there is a 80 mph wind storm as I am tired of winter.

RED NECK

I ordered a pistol grip stock in obsession camo from phoenix technologies along with a few other items for stock and they shipped Monday. I'll wait until everything is here to set up and pattern.

RED NECK

I just finished installing the pistol grip,cheek piece and shell holder on the 535. I like it.I will be patterning the gun this Saturday afternoon. I am going to order the same setup for the Mossberg 500 20 gauge I am picking up Thursday after work.

I bought two of these guns and one was for my father.I guess he went and shot his and tried to pattern it but It was hitting 10" high over the cardboard with the marble sights.  I shimmed it up for him and we will see this weekend as there will be three of us going to pattern.

If mine are way off, I will just put a set of fiber optics adjustable's on. I do like the idea and they seem well built, hope I can easily "shim" if I need too.

I screwed the .660 trulock in and will runs a few different sizes of longbeard,federal,browning through it and shoot the one that patterns the way I like.