OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bargain Walmart 870SM.....

Started by Reloader, May 23, 2011, 02:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I know we've discussed this frequently the past couple years, but had to revisit after fondling one last week.

I went by the local WM and they had knocked the 870SM down to $317 from $347.  I bought one of the RT HDWDs 870 SMs from WM two years ago for $347 and it is a great patterning turkey slaying machine.  The new HD pattern, Super Cell pad, SS style forearm, and 26" bbl is a pretty sweet set-up for a mere $317.  I like the pattern much more than the older pattern on mine.  For that price I nearly walked out with another, but sadly had to push away from the gun counter since I have a pile of turkey rigs already.

Can't think of a better deal for a good turkey slayer.

Have a good one,

Reloader

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is a great buy.  Congrats on adding a much needed gun to your already huge turkey slaying arsenal.   :lol:

Reloader

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 23, 2011, 03:03:18 PM
That is a great buy.  Congrats on adding a much needed gun to your already huge turkey slaying arsenal.   :lol:

I didn't buy it, but thought hard about it.  Already have too many.  I know, that's not possible :D

a-j calls

I bought the same gun at wal-mart last year, great price...

chrmayo

I bought one this past November. It has the HD pattern and all. I believe I gave 327 for mine if I am remembering right. It has an awesome feel to it. I didn't get it drilled and tapped in time for my FF2 so I never patterned it. I will be getting the sight on it pretty soon and finding a .660 JH for it also. Only thing I dislike is the forearm has some rattle to it. Does anyone know a fix for this? I am sure there is something to do for it.
-MAYO-

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My neighbor bought one of those.

doepee

Dang guys, walmart here in Illinois stop selling guns quite awhile back ???

trev33

Doepee,

They still sell them here in southern Illinois.  I just bought a 870SM at Wal-Mart last year.

Trev

pullit

I bought one a few years back as well. They are great guns for the money. Will have to stop by Wally World and check them out.

Ronny, thanks for the heads up......I think......I have several turkey rigs myself..... :TooFunny:

Reloader

Quote from: pullit on May 24, 2011, 11:54:22 AM
I bought one a few years back as well. They are great guns for the money. Will have to stop by Wally World and check them out.

Ronny, thanks for the heads up......I think......I have several turkey rigs myself..... :TooFunny:

But you need another John :D  As you always tell me: "There's no such thing as too many guns."

I would have bought it, but I have to get the new hammer lined out first.  Turning that SX2 into a turkey killing beast.

Also gota get the new rifle rolling.  Kirby did the action work last week and he's supposed to screw the Lilja on this week.  As soon as I get it back from Kirby the bolt is going to Karl and the action and stock will be coated by a local guy.

have a good one,

Ronny

Reloader

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 23, 2011, 03:33:54 PM
Ronnie,
I bought one of them last summer as you know and also got the Rem $30 rebate to boot! Got home and cleaned it to find heavy tool marks in the barrel. I put a VAHUNTER polish job on it and slicked it right up. Dad couldn't stand me getting a good deal on a gun so he went right over and bought one too. Barrel was identical so I did the polish for him too.

Stuck a jelly head in mine and well you know how it did for me this past season. Last 20+ years with Win1300s and now I'm back on the Rem870 Wagon for a while now it seems. Dad missed two toms I called in with his 870, entirely shooter error he admits but you don't rub your 72 year old Dad's nose in his mistakes. He said the gun just kicked too hard and though he's shot similar 870s for years he hasn't shot anything but a semi auto the last 5 years.

So, the other day he says "I'm gonna sell that new 870. It just kicks too hard!" Now I spent some time and effort polishing up that barrel and hate to give my good work to a stranger for nothing.

I bought it from him and put it up for when Knucklehead gets a little older. Heck, I already bought a couple chokes for it from guys here and will have it patterned before next spring.

Who says you don't need another new 870?

You certainly broke that new one in this season.  I love breaking in new rigs the bloody way :D

Did you swap out your sear springs on the two rigs? Makes a heck of a difference.

Reloader

Yeah, he finally got to it.  Didn't expect 16 months, but hope it stands up to the great hype I've heard on his work.

Reloader

Quote from: 2ounce6s on May 24, 2011, 01:46:18 PM
Quote from: Reloader on May 24, 2011, 12:19:34 PM
You certainly broke that new one in this season.  I love breaking in new rigs the bloody way :D

Did you swap out your sear springs on the two rigs? Makes a heck of a difference.

I sure didn't. To tell the truth the triggers on both these guns seem so much smoother than what I've been using I haven't had the need. I worked on that Win1300 trigger since last year like you and another friend suggested. Got it butter smooth then never even hunted with it due to the 870. ;D I'll keep the spring change in mind though. Thanks for the suggestion, I pay more attention than you might think.

Good deal.  I've only had one Rem shotgun that had a descent trigger from the get go. I always suggest that to anyone that buys a Rem shotgun.  Hard to beat and only $10

I havent hunted with my 1300s in a while. I did let a buddy whack one this year with one of them.  That new SX2 I bought probably has the best scatter gun trigger of any I've ever owned, breaks clean at 4lbs with no noticeable creep.

Have a good one,

Ronny