turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys that won't gobble

Started by Greg Massey, February 26, 2021, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack86

If I know there's birds there I will build me a blind and call every so often. I'm not big on blinds but is easy to get busted when they come in silent. Killed many silent birds this way but it's alot like deer hunting.

Tom007

I had a small spot in PA that I hunted years ago. It was probably 100 acres. There was an area of White Pines in there that the turkeys always frequented. I used to get in there opening day, set up and soft call regardless if I heard a bird or not. I harvested my share of silent birds there, they did give me a quick gobble just before the shot. It was a weird spot, but long sits and very soft calling  worked well there. Be safe....
"Solo hunter"

Jimspur

If I know I'm within 250-300 yards of a gobbler, I'm hanging tight for an hour or two. Only gonna call once or twice and then shut up. To me if they come in silent, you still called him in. To me that's not really like deer hunting as you called previously and then he came in silently.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Jimspur on February 26, 2021, 07:26:53 PM
If I know I'm within 250-300 yards of a gobbler, I'm hanging tight for an hour or two. Only gonna call once or twice and then shut up. To me if they come in silent, you still called him in. To me that's not really like deer hunting as you called previously and then he came in silently.
Plenty of times been out deer hunting, blew my doe bleat or grunt call and have deer show up. Turkey hunting like that for me is not my cup of tea. I'm all about the chase/ playing the game. No interaction takes a lot of the excitement out of it for me.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

quavers59

I can always come back in a few hours or so to the area where, I heard Gobbling before Sunrise.
   Real early though, I  am moving to find one that does Gobble.

roberthyman14

Quote from: Howie g on February 26, 2021, 01:07:06 PM
The only way I'm staying put is if this is the only place I can hunt.
Absolutely no fun to me to deer hunt em
100%  I'm chasing turkeys that gobble.  Deer season ends today.  I'm done sitting and waiting.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Jimspur

There's only two times I can kill a turkey. When he's gobbling, or when
he's not gobbling.

Meleagris gallopavo

If I had to wait to get one to talk to me where I hunt I'd have to stop turkey hunting.  They gobble first thing in the morning and shut off as soon as their feet hit the ground.  If my son isn't with me I can wait for hours.  I almost never hear hens do anything.  I call every 15-20 minutes and wait.  Sometimes I've had hens run right to me and not say a word, sometimes with a gobbler in tow.  Every now and then you'll get a gobbler to answer and that's golden.  Gotta catch them in a dying mood.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Old Gobbler

I'm from florida ...silent birds are my specialty
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gooserbat

Be patient and wait.  9:00 can be magical.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dah

Gooserbat ,
  Would you think 9:00 would be magical with gobblers that have no hens and returned to early gobbling area after a few hours of not finding anything , or do you think a breeding group might work its way back to where they gobbled early ? just asking , Thanks .

turkey_picker

Quote from: Howie g on February 26, 2021, 01:07:06 PM
The only way I'm staying put is if this is the only place I can hunt.
Absolutely no fun to me to deer hunt em

X2

zombiewoof

Can't kill em from the couch. Get to mid-morning travel corridors and feeding areas or go look for one that is gobbling if you have the option.

roberthyman14

Quote from: zombiewoof on March 03, 2021, 04:17:17 PM
Can't kill em from the couch. Get to mid-morning travel corridors and feeding areas or go look for one that is gobbling if you have the option.
Yeah but living in Florida.  If the birds aint gobbling I can guarantee the fish are biting.   I give it till noon. Head home and grab the family and surf fishing gear.  Beach is 30 minutes south of me.   

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

joey46

Middle of the State - Florida - gobbling on the roost then shutting up after fly down seems to be the new normal the last few seasons.  We've been waiting them out.  In most cases they show up strutting behind a hen or group of hens.  Patience usually pays off.