turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys that won't gobble

Started by Greg Massey, February 26, 2021, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

How do you hunt them? If you know birds are definitely in the area and they are not gobbling after sunrise, do you stay in the area or do you leave and go to the Quick Stop for breakfast?

Nathan_Wiles

Sometimes I'll find a likely spot to kick back and wait em out may even doze off a little. Other times I'll leave and go looking for more agreeable turkeys might check em later on. But...if im hungry its breakfast time.
My favorite tactic though is to find a comfortable spot and wait on 'em, I hate leaving birds to find birds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I'm sitting. Breakfast is in the bag. So's lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I kill very few silent birds. In fact I can only recall 1 bird that I killed on a hunt that I heard zero gobbles that day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ol bob

Where I hunt in western N.C. hearing a bird gobble after fly down is rare. Don't know the reason but it's been like this for several years now. Hunt them silent or stay home.

Dtrkyman

If I have multiple birds located or I know the area has lots of birds I'm out.

If I am limited on area and know a bit about a birds habits and weather has him quiet I will camp out on him.

Killed many silent birds!

owlhoot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 26, 2021, 12:51:05 PM

If I am limited on area and know a bit about a birds habits and weather has him quiet I will camp out on him.

X2 Killed many this way. Just last year 2 I shot hadn't gobbled in over 3 hours. One showed up while I was half asleep, he got in very close and woke me up drumming. The next one I heard him spit from behind me, and walked past at 9 feet , always fun.

Howie g

The only way I'm staying put is if this is the only place I can hunt.
Absolutely no fun to me to deer hunt em

paboxcall

If they gobbled at daybreak, but got quiet after flydown as the OP suggested, I'm staying in the area. I'll go quiet right with them, quietly relocate and get into a better calling position for the mid morning. They aren't going far.

Whole different game mid and late morning.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

fmf

i aint hunting birds that aren't gobbling if I don't have to.  I will go try to find some that are, if that doesn't work I can always go back to that area

GobbleNut

Quote from: Howie g on February 26, 2021, 01:07:06 PM
The only way I'm staying put is if this is the only place I can hunt.
Absolutely no fun to me to deer hunt em

Yup, same here.  If other folks enjoy waiting on silent gobblers to show up, more power too 'em.  They ain't gonna have any competition from me doing that.  If I've got the room to do it, I will look all day for a gobbler that wants to have a conversation rather than wait on one that doesn't. 

Having said that, I realize there are some places where maybe that attitude will have me running around the woods looking for a talkative gobbler that just isn't out there.  But, I will exhaust all possibilities before I choose to hunt the quiet ones. 

Now, I will be the first to admit that I have been lucky enough to live and hunt where talkative gobblers can usually be found with some effort.  I have also found that to be the case in most of the places I have traveled to hunt them, although there have been some rare, frustrating exceptions.

I have said this many times before.  For me. the thrill of spring gobbler hunting has always been about the gobble.  If they don't want to do that, quite honestly, they can just stay in the woods.  I'll leave those birds for the folks that are content with killing them that way...and I will readily admire their patience and persistence in doing so.   :icon_thumright:

Gobble!

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 26, 2021, 12:51:05 PM

X2

guesswho

Bobcat, sit and call and sit some more.  If no luck, repeat.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeytider

On the properties I hunt, there have always been birds, gobbling or not. I know general areas that they frequent. I`ll set up and periodically soft call all morning. A  big part of turkey hunting for me is the experience that the woods provides and the things you see ( in addition to turkeys ). It ain`t for everybody for sure!

Hwd silvestris

Depends on circumstances.  Private or public land.  If private and is a small tract with no other birds gobbling then I will absolutely stay with him.  If it's public public woods I ain't a staying.  Far as I know someone killed him yesterday evening on the public.  I have killed turkeys with just only seeing tracks and no gobbling.  However I would much rather kill one doing the whole turkey thing and not deer hunt them. 
I really don't think private land exists in south Mississippi due to poachers.  They are everywhere.