OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The future of hnting and todays delemas

Started by eggshell, February 25, 2021, 07:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Recent discussions here on OG has me thinking about not only the state of hunting today, but the future of it. I'm afraid it's not a great picture.

Make no mistake, I am not saying hunting is going away, but I do think we will see more conflict and reduced participation.

I have participated in the thread on youtube videos and the most revealing thing about all the discussion on it is, opportunity to hunt is being lost and we are being crowded into smaller and smaller areas. There is more competition for game than ever in the U.S. When it comes right down to it we are withdrawing into self preservation mode. When I was growing up everyone hunted and you could go just about anywhere. We farmed a lot of ground and hand hundreds of acres of woods. It was not uncommon for someone to knock on our door and ask to hunt or fish. We also had 2 miles of river frontage. My dad would never say no, but he'd warn  them if they left trash or tore ground up they were done. Many days we'd here a shot and look out and see neighbors in our field or woods and never even blink. On weekends many guys came out of the city and hunted. It was these very guys that took me along on grouse hunts and talked me into turkey hunting as a kid. They were true mentors. Later they helped me train dogs and one even gave me my first real turkey gun.

So what has changed?

MOre people is a biggy. The population has doubled since then.

The me first attitude has invaded. This is also part of the self preservation reaction, because ppl feel threatened.

Places to hunt have decreased. The new land owners are part of the me first generation. we have lost the family farm and thus the mom and pop attitude. Much of the land now is owned by big farming operations, corporations or people who do not live on or work the land. The first thing that happens when land changes hands is posted signs go up. Part of this is the fear of a society of litigation, lawyers looking for an excuse to sue someone.

Land leasing of hunting rights. No other thing has so decreased the available hunting land around me than this. Out-of-state hunters have leased over 2,000 acres of land I hunted freely just 15 years ago. Now I am threatened with bodily harm if I step on it. I wonder if it's the same other places?

Youth have a lot of distractions and hunting and fishing take way too much effort and doesn't afford instant gratification.  Plus they have no mentors. Many hunters just don't take youth under their wings anymore, some do but not like it used to be.

State agencies are loosing funding and the do gooders are winning votes in the government. From firearm laws to loss of funding, game management is in trouble.

Loss of habitat to development and farming practices  are hurting game densities and populations.

I could go on, but what I want to say is, we need to be a kinder gentler group of people and quit eating our own. This extends also to being more thoughtful to others, (e.g. youtubers don't need to compound someones already difficult situation with sending more people their way). Sometime that means sharing the resource as well. Being good neighbors. Be active in helping conservation organizations. If they are off track then be part of the change of putting them back on track or starting new efforts.

Thanks for listening ....I am preaching to myself as much as anyone.

Meleagris gallopavo

I think you hit the itchy areas spot on.  I have a landowner held harmless clause in my permission letters, but some folks are quick to say it won't hold up in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

deerhunt1988

Unfortunately, I agree 100%. The future is a bit grim for us.

This year there has been an abundance of ridiculous hunting/anti-hunting bills introduced in states all across the U.S.. One promising thing to come out of it is I have noticed a substantial increase in hunters being aware of these bills and speaking up in opposition. E-mailing their representatives and expressing their concerns. In these instances, social media is being put to great use for us hunters!

With the current political climate, I'm afraid we are going to have to fight harder than ever just to KEEP what we currently have. Gaining any ground will be one heck of a tough battle.

Howie g

100 % agree with eggshell and Deerhunt88.
  My dad has a ole saying ... " you can be part of the problem or part of the solution "   

topnotch

Spot on !
The days of free hunting are gone. Yes there is an abundance of public land.
But access is hard to find, it's unbelievable at how much is landlocked.
Before deer was reintroduced here in East TN neighbors allowed us to hunt rabbit, quail and squirrel with just a handshake.
Suddenly, when deer arrived, so did the least land posted signs.
If kids don't have the opportunity to enjoy small game hunting, idont see them growing into our sport.
The concept of trophy hunting has promoted a competitive side to the sport, long gone is the comradarie of hunting with neighbors and friends as a social event.

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: topnotch on February 25, 2021, 08:56:50 AM
Spot on !
The days of free hunting are gone. Yes there is an abundance of public land.
But access is hard to find, it's unbelievable at how much is landlocked.
Before deer was reintroduced here in East TN neighbors allowed us to hunt rabbit, quail and squirrel with just a handshake.
Suddenly, when deer arrived, so did the least land posted signs.
If kids don't have the opportunity to enjoy small game hunting, idont see them growing into our sport.
The concept of trophy hunting has promoted a competitive side to the sport, long gone is the comradarie of hunting with neighbors and friends as a social event.
I agree one thousand percent. Everything has turned into a blank measuring contest and it's no longer a pastime with family and friends. Sad. I'm thankful I got introduced to hunting in a different light than today's new hunters.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Tom007

Well said eggshell.  Strength is in numbers. We have a tough road ahead of us keeping gun rights, hunting privileges, etc.  The beautiful resources we utilize, whether private or public can disappear in a heartbeat. If we all stick together in sharing and enjoying these resources, we have a better shot in keeping them for future generations.
"Solo hunter"

Hayudog

Figure you're pretty spot on.  Loss of access is huge.  Public land is getting tougher. YouTube and Facebook / social media has about ruined some of my hunting spots.
What used to be if a vehicle was parked in a duck hunting spot, I'd move on to find a spot without a truck.  Now, 4-6 trucks every shoot day.  Hate to say it, but it is 90% because of social media.  Hero pictures with young guns, flat brimmed hats, folded arms and tough guy looks behind a pile of birds. Day after day after day. 
And when I reached out to the main poster, he said he wasn't afraid of competition.  Said he had enough friends he hunts with, someone would always be able get the spot.  And there you have it... our future.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Hayudog on February 25, 2021, 09:13:45 AM
Figure you're pretty spot on.  Loss of access is huge.  Public land is getting tougher. YouTube and Facebook / social media has about ruined some of my hunting spots.
What used to be if a vehicle was parked in a duck hunting spot, I'd move on to find a spot without a truck.  Now, 4-6 trucks every shoot day.  Hate to say it, but it is 90% because of social media.  Hero pictures with young guns, flat brimmed hats, folded arms and tough guy looks behind a pile of birds. Day after day after day. 
And when I reached out to the main poster, he said he wasn't afraid of competition.  Said he had enough friends he hunts with, someone would always be able get the spot.  And there you have it... our future.
Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

GobbleNut

Good post eggshell.  I agree with you and pretty much all of the points made.  In the end, the question is "what to do about it?"  Many of the problems brought up have solutions.  The fundamental obstacle to that is an unwillingness by those having the authority to make the necessary changes to do so.  At the end of the day, much of that unwillingness is totally a function of who controls the dollar-bills involved.  It so often comes down to who has the money,...and the associated power and clout that comes with that.   ...So here we sit....

Turkeytider

Probably 90-95% of hunting today is private land ( you own it or know someone who does that hunts with you or permits you to hunt on their land ), leased land ( hunting clubs ), or public land ( and all the issues that go along with that ). Needless to say, the old days that many of us grew up in are gone forever most likely. When I was growing up in rural Alabama in the late 50`s and through the 60`s, if you told me that one day you`d have to pay money ( and no small amount! ) to hunt, I would have told you that you were nuts. I wish I could say that I see a bright future for hunting over the next 20 or so years, but I don`t. I would like nothing more than to be dead wrong about that, too.

Dtrkyman

All true, exactly the reason we need to quit complaining about the youtube crowd, regardless of their intentions they draw new hunters to the sport.

With the bulk of the population in large cities and very few exposed to the outdoors we need all the help we can get!

New Mexico banned trapping on public lands a few years ago, ridiculous.  As per usual people only follow the science that aligns with their personal beliefs, over half the state is public land!  However the politics are controlled by a couple large cities!

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 25, 2021, 10:16:59 AM
New Mexico banned trapping on public lands a few years ago, ridiculous.  As per usual people only follow the science that aligns with their personal beliefs, over half the state is public land!  However the politics are controlled by a couple large cities!

Actually, that has not happened yet,...but it is apparently about to.  The bill is currently going through the NM legislature and is expected to pass.  Still, as you point out, half of NM is PRIVATE land, so trappers will still have plenty of opportunity to do so,...and fortunately, furbearers don't know where the property boundaries are...

JMBknvc

eggshell, well said, good post and agree.

Was doing some research for an out-of-state hunt and found out that that state lost two public land hunting areas that were leased from timber companies. Loss of public land will increase pressure on other public areas, and that is just from locals in the state. We all need to start getting the state agencies to start purchasing land for public use. 

greencop01

When I started hunting in high school around 68, 69, my friends father said hunting is all done. Private land closed, more hunting less game and gun laws. Well I've hunted small game, birds and turkeys since then for 50 years and I'm still hunting. I get a turkey(s) every year and hunt deer and varmits too, almost all on public land. I can also say that I look at the glass as half full.           
                     Many say the sky is falling. The sky is not falling. I read about people hunting all over this great country and being successful at it. Look at Tom Miranda, and all the people on You Tube being successful. I find you have to do your homework, use the internet and resources like Google Earth which is still free. State resources like various Fish and Game Depts, state and national forests.I can add I have a bad foot and I overcome it with hard work and perseverance,   and am successful. Massachusetts is a populous state and on public land turkey hunters are getting turkeys. Many are passing up jakes and getting toms later in the season. Let's join together, the You Tubers, out of staters, private land owners, lease people, Outdoor Sports people and work together. If people don't they will be left out. I don't see  the doom I read here, I see times are good. When I don't find many turkeys in my neck of the woods, I harvest birds from other places.  The good times are now people, look around.     :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!