turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbling

Started by Greg Massey, February 24, 2021, 11:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you think gobblers communicate to each other by gobbling and are not necessarily always trying to attract hen's?  So what other ways does a gobbler communicate ?   

ChesterCopperpot

Most assuredly they gobble to communicate to one another. That's why it's such a deadly tactic late season when the boys start getting back together. I gobbled two in late last year on a Halloran box. They wouldn't respond to hen calling because the hens weren't calling. The hens were on the nest. But the gobblers and jakes were still talking to one another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Yes, gobbling is for territory, letting a buddy know where you are, calling to a hen to let her know the your location, fighting, etc. 
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

Listen to Dr. Michael Chamberlain, he explains the exploded lek that turkeys use for breeding purposes.  When you hear multiple gobblers on a 200-300 acre property for ex. gobbling from multiple locations in that area your witnessing an exploded lek and those gobblers are communicating to each other that this is my spot and I'm still in the game.  There also letting the hens know, hey baby, I'm right here!  Here's a link from the NWTF-

https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/what-is-exploded-lek

rakkin6

I am sure it works, but super iffy about using it where I hunt since it is public land. Currently no private land to hunt on. Kind of makes me nervous.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 24, 2021, 11:13:24 AM
Do you think gobblers communicate to each other by gobbling and are not necessarily always trying to attract hen's?  So what other ways does a gobbler communicate ?

I think Strutting lets the flock know he's ready, dominant, and ready to rumble. I also think that the color in their head and neck that changes with mood is a communication technique? Just a thought...
"Solo hunter"

albrubacker

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 24, 2021, 11:32:52 AM
Listen to Dr. Michael Chamberlain, he explains the exploded lek that turkeys use for breeding purposes.  When you hear multiple gobblers on a 200-300 acre property for ex. gobbling from multiple locations in that area your witnessing an exploded lek and those gobblers are communicating to each other that this is my spot and I'm still in the game.  There also letting the hens know, hey baby, I'm right here!  Here's a link from the NWTF-

That was a good article. Thanks!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

PalmettoRon

Definitely feel it's a form of communication. I too have used it late in the season several times to call up gobblers that were getting back into bachelor groups. Called up 3 longbeards out west once and have called in singles and doubles late in the south. They likewise gobble in the fall on occasion when hens are no where nearby nor are the hens even interested.

fallhnt

They gobble in fall. With hens roosted near,without hens roosted near,in the tree,on the ground along with spitting and drumming. So I say communication.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Flgobbler

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 24, 2021, 11:32:52 AM

Interesting article, thanks!

FullChoke

Late in the season one year, after the bachelor groups had formed, I called a giant gobbler on heavily hunted public land back to me by imitating a Spit/Drum with my mouth mixed with hen yelps. The group had ignored the yelping, but the idea that an interloper was courting one of the giants girlfriends was too much for him. I have also heard a gobbler yelping in the woods. I assume that it serves the same purpose to gobblers as it does for hens.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Ranger

All of the above. Funny you mentioned gobbler yelps Full Choke...my experience has shown that when one gobbles and then at a certain distance stops and only yelps, it isn't his first Spring breeding hens
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

FullChoke

Quote from: Ranger on February 24, 2021, 03:19:24 PM
All of the above. Funny you mentioned gobbler yelps Full Choke...my experience has shown that when one gobbles and then at a certain distance stops and only yelps, it isn't his first Spring breeding hens
This particular bird came past me yelping and gobbling through the woods. It sounded like a yard dog yapping at a neighboring farm house. I wound up calling his hen back up to me and killing him. He was a good 3 year old. As you said, he had bred hens before and planned on repeating himself that morning.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Dtrkyman

I call it an eff u contest.  Like getting in between that argument!

quavers59

I believe  they Gobble to let me know they have arrived on my Lawn and looking for Breakfast. That happened  this morning and out,I  went with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.