turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call pouch system

Started by RiverRoost, February 22, 2021, 03:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Need some help on figuring out a "system" for my mouth calls. Each year I buy a few new mouth calls and eventually a few make it into my pouch and my vest. My problem is remembering which call is which once I take them out of their plastic cases and put them in the pouch. Anybody come up with a system to remember these calls and which ones you are good at doing what on? I usually write on the plastic cases their names just so I can try to remember which is which in my truck or even leave one or two in their cases in my vest

SD_smith

I've really had problems with this in the dark sometimes. Curious to see what some have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I throw them all in the same container I wear on a lanyard around my neck.  Almost all the calls I own have a different color tape or different colored reeds. I play them enough I know exactly which is which. If they aren't any good then they don't make it to the case.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

albrubacker

I have all mine in a tiny tupperware container in listerine. I have gotten sick a few times before I started using listerine.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

jwm1485

GobbleNut

I have never gotten into the notching thing, although I see where some folks that make their own calls only cut the angle off of one side.  I assume that is so they can feel the call in the dark, if needed, to know which side is up. 

Personally, I carry a LOT of mouth calls with me when hunting, although I generally only stick with a couple of them while calling,...one for those early morning roost situations that I want to make those really "nasally" tree yelps with, and one that will make the more aggressive yelps and cutts which I will switch to after they come out of the tree and throughout the day. 

I have a couple of those plastic containers with three of four slots for individual calls.  Before the season, and before I go hunting, I will prioritize the calls in the slots in one of those containers so I know exactly which ones I want to use at any given time.  (Most all of my calls are color-coded with different colored tapes and/or reed color combinations)

The calls in the remaining slots and containers are of two types:  one type is the "back-ups" for my first two primary calls, and the other type are my secondary choices, and those calls usually have some sound characteristics that vary from my primary choices.

...Now, going beyond the original question a bit to explain my personal "theories":
I also carry at least one "general container" of mouth calls of various sorts.  Those are the calls that aren't quite making the grade for my primary containers, but that I can entertain myself with when I might be bored due to inaction.  Those calls rarely come out, but to be sure, there have been those admittedly rare instances where I have pulled them out and started playing around with them, had a gobbler suddenly answer one of those calls, and ended up with a dead turkey over my shoulder. 

Here's the explanation for why I carry so many mouth calls:  I am a firm believer that 1) turkeys have different voices (just like humans), and 2) gobblers (and hens) can identify the voices of the turkeys that they "hang with".  I want to be able to cover that general spectrum of turkey voices as much as possible when I am hunting.  Carrying an assortment of mouth calls with different pitch and tone characteristics allows me to possibly find one of those specific hen voices more easily. 

Having said the above, one would logically ask,..."Why, if you believe turkeys have different voices, do you stick with the two primary calls you said you use to start with? You are contradicting yourself." 

...Good point!  The answer is that I also believe that most turkeys fall between a certain range of "voices", in general.  I always want to start out with staying within that range,...and quite honestly, it is usually pretty difficult for me to abandon sticking to something within what I consider to be that range.  Over the years, I have just witnessed too many instances of turkeys responding to "turkey voices" that I never thought they would respond to,  to discount not trying something out of the ordinary once in a while. 

....Okay, so I got kind of carried away on the question,...I never claimed to be "short-winded"...   ;D
:newmascot:

Dtrkyman

I typically have 3 or four in the quickly accessible spot on my vest, 2 are the same style call and a couple different cuts on the others, all have been used and confirmed.  My favorite call is just the first one accessible, but that will change throughout the season typically.

On an inside pocket out of the way I have several more.  Luckily a friend of mine builds calls and I have a pile!  I typically hunt or guide with him every year so he makes me some each spring!

Greg Massey

I have one of the old cloth type case that folds and has slots for your calls, i just used pieces of freezer tape and wrote on the tape to identify the different styles and cuts of them.