OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First turkey Gun

Started by tonybart55, February 21, 2021, 10:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybart55

Hey Guys, been a member of ArcheryTalk for about 2 years now but new to Old Gobbler. Wanted to get y'all's thoughts on something.

So I used my Father-In-Laws Rem 870 12Ga  last turkey season and although I didn't get a bird I had fun going and want to Get my own turkey gun, but I'm trying to decide from two different guns for 2 different reasons. I am a novice is every sense of the word when it comes to turkey hunting. But here are my two thoughts of a potential turkey gun and was curious of y'all's thoughts too.

After doing a lot  of research I initially was going to go with the Girsan MC312 Gobbler 12Ga. It's a semi auto for follow up shots, comes with a red dot, and takes very easy to come by beretta/benelli mobile chokes, and it's right around $550-$600.

My other option is on the other end of the spectrum with the Stevens 301 .410. I've seen countless reviews and even a couple posts on here,before I made an account, talking about the patterning out to 40 yards with TSS loads. This option appeals to me because it's $179 at my local Academy, the ammo that I've seen is typically cheaper (when you can find any for either cartridge), it comes with a factory XF turkey choke, and I can take my nephew (6 yr old) out turkey hunting with me and he can shoot it due to the low recoil.

What are your thoughts for my first turkey gun? Or would y'all recommend something else? Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old3toe

Honestly if I were you I wouldn't start out with a .410 as your first turkey gun. With tss they will kill at 40 but you have to remember you still have an overall smaller pattern size to put on target. This is tricky at times when turkey hunting plus you don't really have much experience it sounds like as far as encounters with turkeys up close and personal. Maintaining your composure, adrenaline, and control of your shooting skills at crunch time will be challenging enough on an old long beard at 25 yds but keeping such a small pattern on target can add to the mix and possibly lead to disappointment if you miss. Personally I'd start with a 12ga or possibly a 20ga if you want to go the tss route. Once you get some experience and some gobblers under your belt then you'll have a better idea of what you might like and either way you'll still have a great versatile shotgun you can keep for multiple uses even if you decide to go sub guage later.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeytider

Quote from: old3toe on February 21, 2021, 11:58:25 PM
Honestly if I were you I wouldn't start out with a .410 as your first turkey gun. With tss they will kill at 40 but you have to remember you still have an overall smaller pattern size to put on target. This is tricky at times when turkey hunting plus you don't really have much experience it sounds like as far as encounters with turkeys up close and personal. Maintaining your composure, adrenaline, and control of your shooting skills at crunch time will be challenging enough on an old long beard at 25 yds but keeping such a small pattern on target can add to the mix and possibly lead to disappointment if you miss. Personally I'd start with a 12ga or possibly a 20ga if you want to go the tss route. Once you get some experience and some gobblers under your belt then you'll have a better idea of what you might like and either way you'll still have a great versatile shotgun you can keep for multiple uses even if you decide to go sub guage later.

Agree with this.

Bowguy

Welcome brother. Somethings to add. It seems perhaps you're looking to keep expense minimum. TSS ain't gonna help you do that. For one the shells themselves are expensive. Two you may want an optic. That costs. Now even without an optic you need to pattern the gun. You'll be shooting those expensive shells.
A .410 is an expert gun. Not a novice gun. Stay away for now.

You want a semi for follow up shots. Not necessary. The turkey walks in and stands there for the shot. No second shot needed. If so a pump really isn't a whole lot slower once you get familiar w it.
Id say go got the pump. It'll be cheaper. Get a 12 ga. A  20 ga could work too but I'd recommend 12. Use copper plated lead shot. No longboard type loads. They're too tight. Pattern the gun and if needed Wilson sells sights clamp onto your barrel rib pretty cheap. I bet you'd get away with all this including shells for a couple years less than that semi.
You may want a turkey choke down the road. If money is an issue start w a factory full. Pattern to see where it gets too sparse and stay within that range. I bet you'd not give up all that much.

ChesterCopperpot

Like everyone has said above, I wouldn't go with a .410 as a first and sole turkey gun. I'm unfamiliar with the Girsan, but if you've researched it and your heart's content on having one, get it. The 12 will serve you better across a wider range of opportunities. Only thing I'll say about gun choice (as that's absolutely up to the individual), there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who have spent a great deal of money and time figuring out what guns like what chokes shoot what loads. As  [mention]Bowguy [/mention] said above, you could likely get into a good solid pump for cheaper and you'd have all that other info to fall back on to get it set up and shooting. Just food for thought.

tonybart55

Thanks for the replies!

I hear y'all on the .410 Out of curiosity, if follow up shots aren't needed very often, would something like an over/under be a good option? Two chokes for two different ranges?

Bowguy

Yes and no. In theory absolutely. The kicker, good ones are expensive like in the thousands. You seem worried about expenses. Cheap double barrels often aren't correct. They will shoot slightly lower and higher w some overlap. With reasonable patterns it'd be great. On good guns the barrels are checked/worked until they're right. Cheap ones just thrown together often not as they should be. Say one is high right, one low left how would you aim or set up optics? Turkey loads you want relatively tight most times. That would add to issues.  A good over/under absolutely. Cheap one get the pump I'd mentioned

tnanh

If you like the Stevens get the 20 gauge version. Shoot lead til you find your max range or shoot Hevi 13 6 or 7. Put 2 3/4 inch shells in it for the nephew, even 7 1/2 lead will work as far as it patterns well. He will have a better chance of hitting what he aims at with the 20 but to be honest, 6 may be a little young depending on the kid. No one can answer that but you and his dad. Also, if money is a problem, Fiochi Golden pheasant 6s shoot good enough to 35 yards in both my single shot 20s. I love single shot shotguns and never owned one until I got serious about turkey hunting. The Stevens single shot 20 gauge will probably be a turkey gun you will hunt for the rest of your life.