OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Funky toenails

Started by Hwd silvestris, February 21, 2021, 05:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hwd silvestris

Anyone else got any turkeys pics with funky toenails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MO_HUNTER

Thats neat! Never had one like that, but I did kill one that was missing a toe once.

Old Gobbler

I got a buddy who is a breeder of exotic pigeons,  he has hundreds of em' , and some are endangered species...rare, rare super rare varieties....anyways we were talking about line breeding and genetics with PIGEONS and he said that if you inter-breed them too much you will see long toe-nails/ long beaks ...not sure if thats relatable to wild turkeys

He has some fantastic stories with eradicating preditors like hawks that were traumatizing his PIGEONS in his pens ....he had to knock em out with a airgun

Long ramble ...but eliminate the harrassment and thr hens start laying fertile eggs and hatching them.
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

MK M GOBL

My buddy killed a bird in the U.P. of Michigan like that, but its toes were twisted too to let him walk, never could tell when he came in. It didn't affect the spurs at all, guessing different but those could have been some long spurs!

MK M GOBL

Spitten and drummen

Thought this post was talking about my toenails lol.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 21, 2021, 07:30:06 PM
Thought this post was talking about my toenails lol.
I thought it was talking about mine!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Hwd silvestris

I have also killed a gobbler that didn't have spurs at all.  Not even a bump real close to the funky toe one.  I have always heard the spurless turkeys were due to inbreeding.   The other foot looked to had a lil stubby(shorter than normal pinky toe. Had normal spurs tho.

Hwd silvestris

I would imagine that the two toed gobbler that
Mo hunter killed would leave you scratching your head seeing his tract in a sandy spot

G squared 23

That bird needs some Lamisil!

guesswho

I've killed them with all kinds of foot, leg and toe ailments.  Long toenails like what you posted, missing toes etc,  but this is about the worst one I've seen.  Killed him in Kentucky.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Hwd silvestris on February 21, 2021, 08:02:41 PM
I would imagine that the two toed gobbler that
Mo hunter killed would leave you scratching your head seeing his tract in a sandy spot

LOL Here's my "Tommy Two Toes" his foot was so muddy I didn't even notice till I got him home and was cleaning him up.

MK M GOBL

Hwd silvestris

Quote from: guesswho on February 21, 2021, 08:37:41 PM
I've killed them with all kinds of foot, leg and toe ailments.  Long toenails like what you posted, missing toes etc,  but this is about the worst one I've seen.  Killed him in Kentucky.

That's incredible!  Was the turkey healthy other than the the leg wound?

old3toe

Though I haven't killed any myself like this, when I hunted Ft. Campbell a lot it was very common to see birds brought in with deformed feet, broken or missing toe or toes. From setting off undetonated explosive devices in certain training areas. Every year you'd see several gobblers in the middle of some of these "Danger" zones strutting almost every day.

guesswho

Quote from: Hwd silvestris on February 21, 2021, 10:12:20 PM

That's incredible!  Was the turkey healthy other than the the leg wound?

Yes, otherwise healthy.   He was hanging with three other longbeards.   I can't figure out what may have caused his injury. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

albrubacker

Ouch!!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott