turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

remington 870

Started by captfire, February 19, 2021, 09:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captfire

I HAVE A REMINGTON 870 12 GA. TURKET GUN. HOW DO I GO ABOUT PUTING A SCOPE ON IT. IT IS DRILLED ARE TAPED...

Dtrkyman

Look up the proper weaver base for it, install the base and buy a scope and rings that are compatible with the base.  Really simple!

captfire

how do u put a base on it its NOT drilled are TAPED

sbbow

You have to get a saddle mount I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridger

A saddle mount is about $30 online.  Pay a 'smith to drill and tap your receiver or check this out as an option for a red dot: 

https://meadowcreekmounts.com/order-now/ols/products/burrisvortexdocter-rib-mount

USMC0331

If you want a scope and it's not drilled and tapped sumtoy can set it up for you or find a local gunsmith to do it for you, next option for a scope would be a B square mount and lastly vent rib pitatiny rail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

I have 2 - 870 remington with saddle mount and they work great. You can buy them with scope rings included. I have one on my 12 ga. and 20 ga. These saddle mounts also give you the best of 2 worlds, you can still shoot you bead also. You can send me PM and i will send you pictures of these setups.

owlhoot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 19, 2021, 10:21:00 AM
I have 2 - 870 remington with saddle mount and they work great. You can buy them with scope rings included. I have one on my 12 ga. and 20 ga. These saddle mounts also give you the best of 2 worlds, you can still shoot you bead also. You can send me PM and i will send you pictures of these setups.

X2 on that .
Seeing under the mount. But some mounts you can't. So check before you buy.

Bowguy

If somehow this mount allows you to shoot high and low I'd flat out avoid it. Like shoot through scope mounts it sounds. You should shoot with a good cheek weld always not float your head kinda sorta near where it needs to be. Remember now anything that allows you to see underneath actually allows your primary sighting method to be compromised. That makes no sense. Drill and tap it and be done would be my suggestion

owlhoot

Quote from: Bowguy on February 19, 2021, 05:29:12 PM
If somehow this mount allows you to shoot high and low I'd flat out avoid it. Like shoot through scope mounts it sounds. You should shoot with a good cheek weld always not float your head kinda sorta near where it needs to be. Remember now anything that allows you to see underneath actually allows your primary sighting method to be compromised. That makes no sense. Drill and tap it and be done would be my suggestion
No it actually sets very low on the 870 . In fact nothing like a rifle see through mount.
In fact its a small tunnel. Low enough in fact that with the sureshot stock you have to try really really hard. And put the red dot right in line.

West Augusta

B Square mount.  Knock out the two pins for the trigger, slide the saddle on and there are 2 allen screws that replace the pins.  I have them on both of my 870 turkey rigs.  Work great.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Tom007

Quote from: West Augusta on February 19, 2021, 07:04:16 PM
B Square mount.  Knock out the two pins for the trigger, slide the saddle on and there are 2 allen screws that replace the pins.  I have them on both of my 870 turkey rigs.  Work great.

Question, do you guys know if this scratches the side of the action? Just curious...thx
"Solo hunter"

captfire

SOUNDS LIKE IAM GOING WITH A B-SQUARE. BOT LIKE TOM 007 ASKED DOSE IT SCRATCH YOUR GUN ?

owlhoot

Quote from: Tom007 on February 19, 2021, 07:09:19 PM
Quote from: West Augusta on February 19, 2021, 07:04:16 PM

Question, do you guys know if this scratches the side of the action? Just curious...thx
Haven't had a problem but I am careful on and off.  Express finish or custom dipped anyway.

Greg Massey

The ones i have are dedicated turkey guns and I've never taken the saddle's back off. As far as seeing your bead it just the same as sighting down your barrel without the saddle on the gun and if you have the circle of death in that scope it's dead.. pretty much like red dot in a lot of ways. Scopes are parallel free with the circle scopes for turkeys.  I wouldn't trade having the ability to see my bead with the saddle mount for one drilled and mounted on the receiver. I just like having the ability to use both the bead and scope.