OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Moonshiners

Started by 3bailey3, February 17, 2021, 09:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Rzrbac on February 18, 2021, 12:56:03 AM
I watched documentary on Popcorn Sutton long before that show. I have always been intrigued by running a still. Always hoped I would get to know someone who was part of that culture. I'm pretty sure a lot of that show is faked, some of those guys don't look like they are in good enough shape to pack that equipment and mash ingredients very far in the woods. I really enjoy the master distiller show more. I've been contemplating trying to build a still and running a batch. I'm not much of a drinking man but I much prefer the clear corn liquor over aged in oak barrels. I was given some that was made in Georgia several years ago. There's nothing better for a cough or sore throat. Sure wouldn't mind having a stash for medicinal purposes. Maybe I'll get around to building a still when the weather breaks. I'm thinking of using beer kegs if I can find a couple.
The majority of the show is fake (it's entertainment). Popcorn was not, though he was quite entertaining so long as foul mouths didn't bother you. The documentary you likely saw would've been one of Neal Hutcheson's who wrote the book above. If you liked that documentary, the book really is outstanding. Gorgeous photography. And, for the most part, Popcorn's life in his own words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nativeks

I too enjpy the show. I wish Kansas didn't have such strict liquor laws. Id like to have a small still and make some brandy off of the plums, persimmons, raspebrries, blackberries, etc that grow on my property.

ol bob

One of the moonshiners on the show lives a few miles from me, went to high school with my daughter in law.

NCL

Watched the show for several years, definitely some interesting characters on that show. The history behind the making of the liquor, the personalities involved, and even the liquor makes it interesting. Kind of wondered how they are getting away with their actions as according to the show it is illegal and all involved are named?

Rzrbac

I'm not so sure on the legality of it, never checked the law where I live. I figure if they can sell marijuana for medicinal purposes I can make some shine for the same reason.

What got me interested in it was the Popcorn Sutton documentary. That would have been a blast to have ran a batch with him. I love the history behind some of the recipes. I figure I can acquire about any of the ingredients needed to make mash, just not sure what kind of yeast those folks use.

I also read a good book called "The Wettest County in the World".  It ending up being a movie about the Bonderants in Virginia. The outlaw and bootlegging days are long gone but people still seem to be secretive about it. Maybe shiners should get together and have a Unicoi where folks can sample and buy their product.

Happy

Plenty of fellows still making it. Matter of fact there is a legal moonshine distillery within a half hour of my house. Its legal to make in a lot of areas as long as its not sold and is in limited quantities.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bigriverbum

i enjoy the show for what it is

no need for 'shiners in wisconsin. we've allowed everyone to get their drink on whenever they want for a long time

i live in a town of 240 people and we have 3 bars. before covid they were always packed(lots of tourist outside of winter), lots of bars out in the boonies(though nothing close to what it was like in the 50's and 60's-drunk driving)

can buy beer and liquor at any gas station, grocery store, liquor store, or big box store. the idea of "dry counties" blew my mind.

i could go to a bar at like 15 with my parents and if the bar didn't care i could drink with them

bigriverbum

also, as a teenager parties would get busted and nobody got in trouble

heck, up until the 90s the cops would drive everyone home and that would the the extent of kids "punishment"

Jbird22

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 18, 2021, 12:43:07 PM
Quote from: Rzrbac on February 18, 2021, 12:56:03 AM
I watched documentary on Popcorn Sutton long before that show. I have always been intrigued by running a still. Always hoped I would get to know someone who was part of that culture. I'm pretty sure a lot of that show is faked, some of those guys don't look like they are in good enough shape to pack that equipment and mash ingredients very far in the woods. I really enjoy the master distiller show more. I've been contemplating trying to build a still and running a batch. I'm not much of a drinking man but I much prefer the clear corn liquor over aged in oak barrels. I was given some that was made in Georgia several years ago. There's nothing better for a cough or sore throat. Sure wouldn't mind having a stash for medicinal purposes. Maybe I'll get around to building a still when the weather breaks. I'm thinking of using beer kegs if I can find a couple.
The majority of the show is fake (it's entertainment). Popcorn was not, though he was quite entertaining so long as foul mouths didn't bother you. The documentary you likely saw would've been one of Neal Hutcheson's who wrote the book above. If you liked that documentary, the book really is outstanding. Gorgeous photography. And, for the most part, Popcorn's life in his own words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQjCKAI4gA&ab_channel=SuckerPunchPictures

I've watched that several times. I don't drink (not at all) but I absolutely love that documentary. Neal did the world a huge favor by filming that. It's a dang shame that Popcorn couldn't peacefully live what was left of his life in the mountains where he belonged.

bigriverbum

we used to have overnight parties on islands on the upper mississippi and the dnr would bust us. they'd take the coolers and leave. we'd pull the back up coolers out of the woods

we'd be clearly out riding jet skis and kneeboarding while everyone was drinking.  i'm glad i got to experience that kind of stuff and everyone thankfully made it out safe, but good lord. insanity.

if i knew my nephews did stuff my generation did i'd have a heat attack

Gobbler428

I really enjoy watching Moonshiners, especially Mark & Digger. Back in the late sixties, I would pass bootleggers running liquor with their headlights off on two lane mountain roads on my way back to college on Sunday nights. Later on, I had permission to grouse hunt some land in western NC in the mid 70's but was told by the land owner to avoid getting off his property due to an active still on his neighbors adjoining property.

nativeks

Quote from: Happy on February 18, 2021, 06:44:30 PM
Plenty of fellows still making it. Matter of fact there is a legal moonshine distillery within a half hour of my house. Its legal to make in a lot of areas as long as its not sold and is in limited quantities.

I wish it was like that here. We can do beer, wines, and ciders. You can own a still to produce essential oils and water. Making a little shine ain't worth loosing my 6 figure job over.

dwcim

I don't know what part of WV you come from, but I am one of those good ole local boys from the southern end and it is illegal as crap.

Happy

Quote from: dwcim on February 19, 2021, 01:41:52 AM

I don't know what part of WV you come from, but I am one of those good ole local boys from the southern end and it is illegal as crap.
Your correct, I was wrong on that. Was thinking that the laws are the same as beer and wine for family consumption. My apologies sir.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bear hunter

Moonshining has been and is still a tradition in western north carolina and east tennessee.