OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where to go this year... torn between states

Started by slave601, February 16, 2021, 11:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

I'm taking off work the majority of the season this year. I always hit Mississippi (my home state) and Missouri. I'd like to add another state or two to the trip this year. I'm pretty set on Tennessee. Other options are Kansas, Indiana, or Kentucky. This will be an all public land hunt. Any advice or pointers would be helpful. Also if anyone is looking into coming to hunt Mississippi public land I can point you in the right direction. Either pm me or open chat. Thanks guys
"thinnin the flock"

bbcoach

My question to you is, Do you have your Slam and are you interested in getting it?  If you are Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska would be prime candidates since you already have your Eastern.  Rios in All 4 states and Merriams in Nebraska or maybe South Dakota.  Any of these states have different terrain and are beautiful with a good population of birds.  Also since each state starts at different times, you can start in your home state of Mississippi and work your way north over a couple of months.  Good luck with your planning and keep us posted with some Pics.

slave601

I don't have the slam yet, but I do have the Osceola and eastern under my belt. Not really interested in the slam like I once was. Not saying I wouldn't mind giving it a try but not just heart set on it as of right now. I'm really wanting to try Kansas but I'm move of a timber hunter than open land guy if that makes sense.
"thinnin the flock"

bbcoach

Understand.  Stay east of the Miss then.  Tennessee, Virginia, NC (my home state), along the Appalachian Mountains has plenty of National Forest and mountainous woody terrain.  You can go north from there and have a couple of months to hunt the farther north you go.

slave601

I've seriously thought hard on North Carolina. Not sure to hit the western or eastern side of the state
"thinnin the flock"

guesswho

Video it and put it on YouTube.   Show gate numbers etc.   It will give me something to read next year.   Good luck which ever direction you go.   Safe travels!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

PalmettoRon

If you're looking hard at Kansas, their Wildlife Dept has a fairly extensive Walk in land access.(Private land that the public may hunt.) I've hunted Eastern birds in Northeast KS before on these properties with success. I would check out the Walk in Atlas. There is apparently good Rio hunting to be had elsewhere In KS. From a buddy I know in KS, while you most definitely can get on birds, the numbers are down.

B Rogers

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: slave601 on February 16, 2021, 01:55:20 PM
I've seriously thought hard on North Carolina. Not sure to hit the western or eastern side of the state
Plenty of turkeys in Northeast NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Dtrkyman

I have had good hunts in Indiana on public, only problem is a single bird limit!

Parrot Head

Let me know if you have any question about IN  I will help if I can. 

deerhunt1988

Kansas and Kentucky are going to be destination states for a ton of non-residents this year due to last year's cease on selling non-resident licenses. Something to keep in mind.

bbcoach

I live in Eastern NC and the population here is doing well.  I have never hunted the rest of the state though.  With more people in the woods, due to COVID, we did see our best harvest.  Unfortunately the jakes took a tremendous hit.  I hope that doesn't effect our Gobbler population the next few years but I'm not optimistic about this.   

timberjack86

Quote from: B Rogers on February 16, 2021, 02:23:13 PM
Can't go wrong with Tennessee in my opinion.
Tn ain't as good as it used to be. Lots of pressure these days and less turkeys

slave601

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 16, 2021, 04:08:49 PM
Kansas and Kentucky are going to be destination states for a ton of non-residents this year due to last year's cease on selling non-resident licenses. Something to keep in mind.
You're right about that! Guessing it's most definitely going to be Kansas.
"thinnin the flock"