turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hotter core or perfectly even?

Started by ChesterCopperpot, February 15, 2021, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THattaway

I like a hotter core but hot for me is 150-160. That prob puts me in the even crowd on this site. Have probably killed a pile with the edge of a pattern. Said it before here, someone needs to invent an oval shaped barrel that throws a 2' wide pattern that is 10" tall. Name it the same as my 870, the gobbler cleaver.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: THattaway on February 15, 2021, 04:11:26 PM
I like a hotter core but hot for me is 150-160. That prob puts me in the even crowd on this site. Have probably killed a pile with the edge of a pattern. Said it before here, someone needs to invent an oval shaped barrel that throws a 2' wide pattern that is 10" tall. Name it the same as my 870, the gobbler cleaver.
Like you, I think I tend to like a hotter core, but, yes, the definitions seem to be absolutely dependent on the individual. Gooserbat's comment above is a great example. His pattern strikes him as "even" even though 50% of the load is contained within 25% of the total pattern area. And I see what he's saying, or what I think he's saying—the 10" pattern is even and the distribution within the 10-20" is also even. But for me I would define that pattern as a "hot core." I guess my question came about for this exact reason which is how do we define a good pattern, and I'd say it's absolutely subjective. A pattern I'm not totally happy with—primarily because it lacks a core—some people praise because it's perfectly even over the total area. Both trains of thought seem perfectly valid to me. Both obviously kill turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 15, 2021, 04:44:23 PM
Like you, I think I tend to like a hotter core, but, yes, the definitions seem to be absolutely dependent on the individual. Gooserbat's comment above is a great example. His pattern strikes him as "even" even though 50% of the load is contained within 25% of the total pattern area. And I see what he's saying, or what I think he's saying—the 10" pattern is even and the distribution within the 10-20" is also even. But for me I would define that pattern as a "hot core." I guess my question came about for this exact reason which is how do we define a good pattern, and I'd say it's absolutely subjective. A pattern I'm not totally happy with—primarily because it lacks a core—some people praise because it's perfectly even over the total area. Both trains of thought seem perfectly valid to me. Both obviously kill turkeys.

It may be from older times when the shot loads weren't big enough for someone to want and even pattern across 20" circle. That's why the 10" was probably what was used mostly.

It's only possible now with 500 plus pellet count loads to have a huntable 10" and still even across the full 20"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WildTigerTrout

I personally prefer a nice even pattern with no holes.  Does not matter what sights I am using.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on February 15, 2021, 05:23:16 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 15, 2021, 04:44:23 PM

It may be from older times when the shot loads weren't big enough for someone to want and even pattern across 20" circle. That's why the 10" was probably what was used mostly.

It's only possible now with 500 plus pellet count loads to have a huntable 10" and still even across the full 20"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'd say you're absolutely right. If you went by the old 100 in a 10" rule you'd have to have 400 in the load to achieve perfectly even across 20". I still think I like the hotter core, and with the modern loads and numbers like what Gooserbat quoted above I'd say we've reached a place where a load with a "hot core" can still produce a forgiving pattern.

falltoms

Even forgiving pattern. Call um into 40 and under and don't worry about it

Goat boy

Even pattern with no holes for a hunting pattern

zelmo1

Even pattern is always better. I do a lot of patter/choke/load work for sport shooting and hunting. If people saw the holes in their patters get bigger exponentially as you get further back, we would have more ethical hunters. This is with all chokes and ammo. AA target ammo is a premium for Clays and if people saw the holes at 40 yards it would scare them. Be safe and God Bless, Al Baker

Jimspur

Prefer nice even pattern with no holes for hunting. It just doesn't take
300-400 pellets in a 10" circle to kill a turkey.

Which Gun

Shooting 870 supermag 3 1/2" #5 longbeards.  At 40 yds I have a nice even pattern. Anything inside 35 it's hot. I had to add a red dot to compensate for that. Most of my birds are inside 30 or closer when I decide to shoot. I'm not going to adjust my shell or choke to open pattern just in case grandpa hangs up at 40.

trkehunr93

Even for me, I like to know I've got plenty of shot to the left and to the right in case a bird moves as I squeeze the trigger. 

Dtrkyman

I shot a .580 for the first few years from my 20ga, nice clean even patterns and lethal further than I would shoot. Found a good price on a .555 so I tried it.  The close up pattern is not that much tighter so I went with it! 

justin.arps

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 16, 2021, 09:45:44 AM
Even for me, I like to know I've got plenty of shot to the left and to the right in case a bird moves as I squeeze the trigger.
Same here wiggle room.

Goat boy

A gobblers head is constantly moving , twisting ,turning ,pecking ,preening ,and periscoping.  A little wiggle room with a even pattern is good in most cases. Limit your range by calling him into range , then get him out of strut and his head up and alert before making a good ethical shot.The bird deserves nothing less.