OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rib mounted red dot accuracy issues?

Started by YukonC, February 13, 2021, 12:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Ahhhh, I see what you're saying.  Yeah, not having it tight might cause all kinds of problems anyway.

USMC0331

Quote from: davisd9 on February 18, 2021, 01:09:08 PM
Quote from: USMC0331 on February 18, 2021, 01:00:37 PM
When the mag tube is not completely tight or a little play is left  where you have a bolt going through the hole  and the mag tub cap is not tightened to where there  is wiggle room,  the barrel will slightly move left to right or up and down. When you pull the trigger your point of impact will change.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

With the red dot on the rib, it will follow the barrel. As long as the the mag tube cap is tight you are fine
That was my point. When I pattern,  I clean between shots ( remove barrel) each time. By marking the way I do,  it ensures the barrel and mag tube cap are exactly in the same spot each time.  I Learned this the hard way.

Tom007

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 13, 2021, 03:42:16 PM
May you bust many big gobblers.

Ditto to you my friend..
"Solo hunter"

lowoctane

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 18, 2021, 12:29:15 PM
Since it's mounted directly to the barrel by the rib, removing and reinstalling the barrel shouldn't do anything to it.

Ditto! Drilled and tapped a red dot to the rib of my 870 SM about 14 years ago and no issues...  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

Quote from: lowoctane on February 25, 2021, 10:15:56 PM
Since it's mounted directly to the barrel by the rib, removing and reinstalling the barrel shouldn't do anything to it.

Ditto! Drilled and tapped a red dot to the rib of my 870 SM about 14 years ago and no issues...  :camohat:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Tom007

Quote from: lowoctane on March 19, 2021, 05:50:04 PM

Quote from: lowoctane on February 25, 2021, 10:15:56 PM

Nice set up!

"Solo hunter"

wchadw

I have been shooting a rib mount rmr on my gun for last 3 years and haven't noticed any problems. Make sure and use a little blue locktite to keep mount/sight from working loose