turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rib mounted red dot accuracy issues?

Started by YukonC, February 13, 2021, 12:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YukonC

Has anyone had any issues with a rib mounted red dot setup? I am about to do this to a bps that is not tapped. Just wondering if it moves at all as barrel heats up or when removing snd installing barrel after cleaning? If so it's getting tapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

I have one on my 870 no problems thus far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Ditto, no issues with mine.......they work great.best of luck
"Solo hunter"

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Fl strutter

It shouldn't move when removing barrel for cleaning like it would if reciver mounted because it's attached to the barrel. The meadow creek mounts are solid.

YukonC

This is good to hear that is what I have ordered. I just came across a random thread about the dot moving when the barrel warms up during zeroing and that some claim when you remove and install the barrel it needs to be re zeroed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

Mark your mag. Cap and tube . That way when you remove , line them back up and your good.  If not you will have a difference on impact.

Tom007

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 13, 2021, 02:53:23 PM
Mark your mag. Cap and tube . That way when you remove , line them back up and your good.  If not you will have a difference on impact.

Great tip, thank you....
"Solo hunter"

USMC0331

May you bust many big gobblers.

stinkpickle

Since it's mounted directly to the barrel by the rib, removing and reinstalling the barrel shouldn't do anything to it.

USMC0331

If that magazine tube is not tightened to the same spot your point of impact will change.

davisd9

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 18, 2021, 12:32:21 PM
If that magazine tube is not tightened to the same spot your point of impact will change.

Not when it is mounted to the rib, it will if mounted on the receiver. I would mark it and do as you suggested anyway.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

stinkpickle

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 18, 2021, 12:32:21 PM

How exactly?  The relationship of the rib to the barrel should remain the same, unless tightening the lug somehow bends the rib...or worse yet, it bends the barrel.

USMC0331

When the mag tube is not completely tight or a little play is left  where you have a bolt going through the hole  and the mag tub cap is not tightened to where there  is wiggle room,  the barrel will slightly move left to right or up and down. When you pull the trigger your point of impact will change.

davisd9

Quote from: USMC0331 on February 18, 2021, 01:00:37 PM
When the mag tube is not completely tight or a little play is left  where you have a bolt going through the hole  and the mag tub cap is not tightened to where there  is wiggle room,  the barrel will slightly move left to right or up and down. When you pull the trigger your point of impact will change.

With the red dot on the rib, it will follow the barrel. As long as the the mag tube cap is tight you are fine