OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Drumming..... I can’t hear it

Started by Bottomland, February 12, 2021, 06:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

Anyone like me and can't hear a turkey drum?  Why is that?  I can hear them spit but no drum.

paboxcall

On a quiet day, maybe hear it 50-75 yards away.

More like I sorta feel it more than hear it.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Happy

Certain people hear different frequencies better than others. I have tinnitus pretty bad but I can still pick up the spit better than the drum.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HunterS5

It's - 10F here. All I hear are my teeth chatting? Sitting outside is quite far from my mind! 

Tom007

Quote from: Bottomland on February 12, 2021, 06:04:04 PM
Anyone like me and can't hear a turkey drum?  Why is that?  I can hear them spit but no drum.

It's a weird noise, kind of like a "tuning fork type" low hum. It's possible that certain people hear can't pick this noise up. I am by no means a med expert, just my guess on a possible reason here. I have watched numerous videos with 2 hunters, one saying to the other, "can you hear him drumming", and the other hunter saying no.....be safe, be well.....
"Solo hunter"

3bailey3

Tom that is what i was going to ask the OP if he had ever been with a buddy that had heard it and he hadn't. I think if someone else heard it and got you to listen close when they have heard it might help unless your hearing has been diminished.

paboxcall

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2021, 06:17:32 PM
Certain people hear different frequencies better than others. I have tinnitus pretty bad but I can still pick up the spit better than the drum.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hearing drumming is one thing, triangulating it is a whole other thing.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WV Flopper

I can hear.....TICK. That's it. 30 yards and strutting, TICK, no drum? My ears ring constantly, really don't even notice the ringing so much until it stops. Has been this way for 15-20 years. But, its amazing to me the turkey I hear gobble that others with me can't? Maybe my ears are conditioned to hear a gobble.

There are frequencies that I do not pick up.  I have seen this before, being around the woman who has undamaged ears. Cant hear much at all with a back ground noise, it usually takes over and drowns everything else out.

guesswho

I can hear it at amazing distances compared most of the people I hunt with.  Clear calm morning under the right conditions I can pick up on it a couple hundred yards or so away.  That is abig advantage being able to do so.  Pinpointing it is another ballgame.   I can usually narrow it down between 10 and 2.   But have been off by as much as 180 degrees.    Seems like the closer it is the harder for me to pinpoint the direction.  As mentioned earlier, it's almost like I can feel it in my chest.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom Threetoes

I've only heard it once in 30 years, I do have hearing loss but wear hearing aids. The only time I heard  it was very loud and the gobbler was at least 35 yds. away. That was 4 years ago.

Tom007

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 12, 2021, 06:35:22 PM
Tom that is what i was going to ask the OP if he had ever been with a buddy that had heard it and he hadn't. I think if someone else heard it and got you to listen close when they have heard it might help unless your hearing has been diminished.

Agreed, we also are all shooting enthusiasts that fire guns year after year in our recreational activities. Yes, we wear ear protection majority of the time, but we all know we have all heard too many gun blasts by our ears without same. This could be a bit of the problem too. Great thread, I hope they find out more info about this.....it is truly a sound that could be missed if not being pointed out. Great thought Bailey..
"Solo hunter"

Jimspur

The farthest I've ever heard it in timber while the bird was on the ground was about 100 yards away. I was looking right at him when he was doing it.
I know some people have trouble picking that low frequency up.

SD_smith

I'm 27 and have a very hard time hearing it. May be due to the multitude of gunshots going off near my head during bird hunting or rushed turkey shots by others across my body. I can hear it when he's within 50 yards, but farther than that I can only hear him spit. When I was in the Navy they noticed a good bit of scarring on my eardrums so who knows. I can hear gobbles extremely far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2021, 06:53:28 PM
I can hear it at amazing distances compared most of the people I hunt with.  Clear calm morning under the right conditions I can pick up on it a couple hundred yards or so away.  That is abig advantage being able to do so.  Pinpointing it is another ballgame.   I can usually narrow it down between 10 and 2.   But have been off by as much as 180 degrees.    Seems like the closer it is the harder for me to pinpoint the direction.  As mentioned earlier, it's almost like I can feel it in my chest.

Fantastic. Your ears are still real good. You must wear ear protection most of the time while shooting. I wish I did it more.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: SD_smith on February 12, 2021, 07:30:11 PM
I'm 27 and have a very hard time hearing it. May be due to the multitude of gunshots going off near my head during bird hunting or rushed turkey shots by others across my body. I can hear it when he's within 50 yards, but farther than that I can only hear him spit. When I was in the Navy they noticed a good bit of scarring on my eardrums so who knows. I can hear gobbles extremely far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hearing those gobbles is most important.......great news..
"Solo hunter"