turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What do yall use to cut spurs off with?

Started by campcreekfarm, May 22, 2011, 11:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

campcreekfarm

I was wondering what yall use to cut spurs off the legs?  And what everyone uses to skin the leg part around the spurs for those that do it.  For 30 years I have used a hacksaw and and razor blades but I know there has got to be an easier way.  This gets way to teadious every year doing 15-20 sets of spurs.  Just looking for an easier way. 

chipper

I use a hacksaw,or dremel with cut off wheel.

savduck

Georgia Boy

davisd9

Long handle limb cutters and razor blade.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Mailman

Hacksaw needlenose pliers and utility knife.
One Shot One Kill

magicman

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

FullChoke

I cut mine with a bandsaw, but a hacksaw works just as well. I then drop the spurs in boiling water and simmer for about an hour (make sure that the water does not boil away). After a while the scales and stuff on the legs will come off easily. The spurs themselves will also come off. Save the spurs. Clean the leg bones thoroughly and let them and the spurs dry completely. I then hot glue the spurs back onto the projections on the leg bones.

Completely clean, no smell, no bugs.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

turkey slayer

PALongspur

Divenut2

Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

pcgobbler

TnTurk