turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Northern States Winter Turkey Survival.

Started by Ol timer, February 11, 2021, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol timer

This winter with more snow than last season in some areas will your spring be seeing less turkeys ? There was a less than usual acorn drop this past fall in my areas and with the lack of food sources and heavy snow covering the ground will last years young birds make it. I remember in the pass I find dead birds that froze to death on the limb while hunting deer in January that spring I saw a lot of Toms with beard rot and they all looked smaller than usual in weight. So what do you expect or think your spring might look like this year after a harsh winter with all the snow,and with all the winter moisture will it lead to a wet rainy spring also not helping things either.

turkeygod4

I was just thinking about this as I was looking up the current temp in Rapid City (-10). I have several Northern states on my list for 21'. I know those birds are pretty dang tough. I expect some wont make it body weights to be down. Mother nature does what it does.

MO_HUNTER

I lived in Montana for a few years, those turkeys adapt. I'm sure there is a certain amount of decline, but they are pretty tough. I have never really looked at cold weather studies...mainly just predation and rain effects on populations. Interesting question.. I hope someone chimes in with more educated info than mine...HA

quavers59

Up here in New York- we have had 2 major Snowstorms. The 2nd dropping 26"s of Snow.
   This year,I  am feeding 21 Wild Turkeys.- 10 Gobblers,5 Hens,4 Jake's, + 2 Jennies.
  Breakfast of Unsalted - dry roasted  peanuts + birdseed.
  Been doing this for 8 years now. Now- no Hunting where,I  feed them and give back for the Scores  of Turkeys ,I have killed.

bbcoach

Here's a recent post that may shed some light on your post.  A few of the guys from Wisconsin chimed in.  They normally see plenty of snow and -20 to -30 temps every winter. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,101307.0.html

catman529

I don't know much about turkeys and cold winters up north but it gets very cold every winter up there and they have plenty of birds to go around. I'm sure they can eat buds on the tree tops if nothing else. They're like chickens, they'll eat anything, not just acorns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mossberg90MN

I was listening to a podcast interviewing a wildlife biologist from here in MN. He mainly focused on Turkeys in MN.

He said cold temps aren't the issue. That they can survive till about -50. The issue is when snow is more then a foot deep for more then 30 days, that's the issue.

I know some north eastern states got hit hard this winter. Hopefully this turkeys found a good source.

I don't think it will really effect the season all too much. Probably only going to kill the old and sick birds.

I've seen them gravitate towards the suburbs or farms when it's deep snow. Kinda ditch the woods until the snow goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol timer

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on February 12, 2021, 02:51:08 AM
I was listening to a podcast interviewing a wildlife biologist from here in MN. He mainly focused on Turkeys in MN.

He said cold temps aren't the issue. That they can survive till about -50. The issue is when snow is more then a foot deep for more then 30 days, that's the issue.

I know some north eastern states got hit hard this winter. Hopefully this turkeys found a good source.

I don't think it will really effect the season all too much. Probably only going to kill the old and sick birds.

I've seen them gravitate towards the suburbs or farms when it's deep snow. Kinda ditch the woods until the snow goes down.

I agree the cold is not as much a problem as deep long last snow and ice, I have cameras out all season and the data I'm getting back  on turkey moving by has all but stopped since the deep snow started. I have went to check for tracks while  out at the cameras and nothing so they are hiding somewhere.

Sir-diealot

I am not so much worried about the amount of snow here in NY right now as much as I am the condition of the snow. When the snow is fluffy it is not as big a problem, but this has been a hard crusty snow and you can even see where the deer have been pawing at the snow trying to get a meal so I worry about the turkey getting down far enough to find a meal. That said I saw a flock of 40 or more on the side of the road yesterday, figure they are eating the rock salt and other nutrients thrown to to the side by the snow plows.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

troutfisher13111

When the turkey numbers were their highest in NY we had much worse winters than we do now. I think we should give them more credit in the survival department.

chow hound

I don't think the winters matter very much.  Turkey numbers are all about the success of the hatch.

greencop01

When the snow is kinda deep the birds live in the trees and eat the little buds. The only thing that wears down the numbers are ice storms, they can't eat if the food source is covered with ice. They are tough old birds. I seen three big toms going to the rear of a house here in Mass and roost in a couple of huge white pines during a recent snow storm. Been seeing them for years in the same spot. I got a set-up on a power line a half mile from there and called in huge toms once in a while, still hard to get in range, but with soft calling and patience, and not every year, bird feeder fed all winter. These are tough birds, about the only thing they can't handle is 2oz of lead or heavy shot in the brain housing group.  :OGturkeyhead:

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Tom007

Mid 40's coming next week in NJ. Will melt some snow. We will get through it, March right around corner..... :turkey2:
"Solo hunter"

Ol timer

Quote from: Tom007 on February 14, 2021, 10:57:53 AM
Mid 40's coming next week in NJ. Will melt some snow. We will get through it, March right around corner..... :turkey2:
I agree a few warm days and they will be separating from them winter flocks, and then let the games begin.

quavers59

I had 16 Wild Turkeys come in for Breakfast  this morning.  They are doing well. Warming up now in New York! Can't  wait for the New Jersey + New York Openers.
   Hopefully, I  will bag a good 4 Gobblers.