turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who we are in the woods, reflects Our Character in life

Started by eggshell, February 10, 2021, 09:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstocks

I actually enjoy meeting and talking with new folks. There's actually a couple folks on some of the hunting forums I visit, including this one, that I've dropped pins on maps for in places I've heard turkeys, seen turkeys, or killed turkeys. I always enjoy hearing back from them if they visit those places and I'm always curious if they had any success. I've had people return the favor, I've had others help me without it being a favor.

I like to see others be successful. Especially new hunters.

Tom007

What's nice about reading this thread is the fact that we all seem to be happy in the woods when we hear a distant shot...we are all grateful that another comrade had success, not the fact that a bird in the area may be gone......be safe,
"Solo hunter"

albrubacker

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 10, 2021, 04:18:35 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 10, 2021, 03:39:02 PM
So what your saying is I shouldn't be pulling into a public land parking spot 5 minutes before daylight while wearing a pair of pib overalls held up by one strap, no shirt, a clown mask and cranking slipknots " Custer"as loud as it will go? Man you guys suck the fun out of everything. Now I am gonna have to get up early and deal with people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I thought you were way to old to know who Slipknot is, let alone one of their songs!

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

ddturkeyhunter

Last year while hunting some very used public ground in WI, I got a very good laugh from a passing hiker. Because of covid there were a lot of extra users in the woods last spring. I was having a very hard time getting away from everyone. The birds were quite from so much people activity, I figure I would find a spot and sit for the afternoon. I found a trail that had been posted Closed off from hiking because they re-seeded the area. I placed a hen decoy out, moved back thirty yards into a log pile and settled in. Wasn't long before I heard somthing coming in the leaves, and to my supprise it was a black lab sniffing where I was hiding. I didn't move to spook the dog into barking, and a long comes the owner. He see's my decoy looks around and see no one, so he figures it would make a nice selfie. He bends down takes his picture and when he got back up I was now standing and he see me. I waved to him he waved back to me the dog never barked and he got his butt out of there fast. I got another story to tell to add to my other public land hunting, and a smile. And I am sure it has to bring a small embarrassing smile to his face when he thinks of his hike that morning also. Just one of many groups sharing our public lands.

Sir-diealot

Unfortunately my turkey hunting friends are all right here on this page, wish some of my friends turkey hunted but they do not. I have had the good fortune to help a few kids get started by giving them pot calls or so on which I enjoyed. I told the last two which were brothers that if they got a turkey with one of the calls or strikers I gave them they would have to name their next 13 kids after me. (Don't laugh, they are Mennonite, it could happen!)

Had one person I started to hunt with, liked the guy quite a bit, one day we were in the blind together and he picked up one of my strikers and kept looking at it and turning it around and I asked him what it was that he liked about the striker. He told me it was just like one his dad had when they started hunting together many years ago. He went ahead looking for turkey as he moves better than I do and when he was gone I stuffed the striker into the bottom of his hip sack, I figured anybody looking at a striker that intently and having such  vivid memories because of it should have it. Later he helped me with getting my tail feathers done from the first and only turkey I have gotten. I gave him one of Niels diamond wood strikers because for helping talk me through what I was doing. 

I will be picking up a blind that opens in the back next month and donating it to my local NWTF Jakes Program so that maybe they can get some disabled kids out there hunting and I hope maybe it can get used for some Vets to get out there as well. I know all too well how hard it can be to get out there after an injury and I don't want to see anybody else loose out like I did for all those years.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."