turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who we are in the woods, reflects Our Character in life

Started by eggshell, February 10, 2021, 09:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

So what your saying is I shouldn't be pulling into a public land parking spot 5 minutes before daylight while wearing a pair of pib overalls held up by one strap, no shirt, a clown mask and cranking slipknots " Custer"as loud as it will go? Man you guys suck the fun out of everything. Now I am gonna have to get up early and deal with people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on February 10, 2021, 03:39:02 PM
So what your saying is I shouldn't be pulling into a public land parking spot 5 minutes before daylight while wearing a pair of pib overalls held up by one strap, no shirt, a clown mask and cranking slipknots " Custer"as loud as it will go? Man you guys suck the fun out of everything. Now I am gonna have to get up early and deal with people.

I thought you were way to old to know who Slipknot is, let alone one of their songs!

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

g8rvet

I have helped and been helped by friends on ducks and turkeys.  I don't really count those as being all that generous because they are my friends and I would do most anything for the few I truly count as friends. 

I was scouting a week ahead of the season on a well worn piece of public ground and it just slipped my mind it was youth weekend.  I was just parking at high spots and listening.  I eased up to my first spot and saw a man and boy getting out.  It was a while before gobble time so I pulled over to chat.  When I saw them gearing up I realized it was youth weekend. I told them where I had been the Wednesday before and where two birds were and where the headed when they hit the ground.  It was a grandfather and grandson.  He kind of hesitated and asked if they should hunt those birds - like he was not sure why I was telling him.  I said, heck yes, that is why I am telling you.  I backed out and he loaded in his truck and headed that way.  I heard through some of his kin that the young un got one, but I don't really know if it was my info that did it. I hope so. 

My motto for both turkey and duck hunting is:
Psalm 118v24.  "This is the day the Lord hath made, let us rejoice and be glad in it"
That is some excellent advice for any day afield right there - duck, turkey, redfish or just a walk through the woods or on the water. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bigriverbum

i'm pretty open about helping people find decent public spots. 

i was duck hunting 2 years ago on a damned up trout stream and when i got done there was an older lady with walking crutches fishing a spring pond i new had nothing in it.  i gave her a public stream map book and spent a good half hour circling places i knew she'd be able to physically get to with her disability. i gave her a few spinners i had in my truck. i give spinners and flies away quite often. last year i met a couple from chicago by way of russia and could tell they were beginners. i probably gave them a dozen flies i knew they'd catch fish on

deer hunting this year i had a guy come up on me and say his buddies(from out of state) were doing a drive towards me and he let me take a good spot in case they bumped something. we didn't see anything, but i gave them another spot to try after they left. i always feel a bit worried when i do that, but it'd bother me afterwards too if i didn't try and help them out a bit.

Tail Feathers

I recently read a Zig Ziglar quote.  Something like "Life is like an echo, you get back what you give out". 

Give kindness and receive kindness in return.

But I still won't share my honey holes. :goofball:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Howie g

Awesome post . 
  I'm a firm believer in the fact that the good Lord smiles upon those who provide smiles to others .

eggshell

I agree tailfeathers, you reap what you sow. I also agree I don't freely give away my honey holes. The rewards in life mean more when they are earned. I never intended that we hand away our turkey hunting kingdom to someone who may not cherish it as we do, but to simply give them the tools to build on and an opportunity to use them. Even the Bible say we must work out our salvation. It also tells us to instruct others with kindness and respect and most of all not to think to highly of ourselves. There is balance in everything.

MO_HUNTER

eggshell

hmmm isin dis one of them thangs....oh shucks what thay callit, oh yeah an oxymoron. To make this statement with the handle "Happy"

sometimes your friends are just like a turkey beak, always picking at something

HunterS5

Very good reminder Eggshell!  I agree, we need to realize that God made this world for us all. Also for the generations to come!

avidnwoutdoorsman

Last season I took out not one but two brand new turkey hunters successfully.

The first was a guy I saw mumbling around on a local hunting form about how he'd love to learn how to hunt turkeys or kill one. I reached out to him and asked him to come join me for a hunt.

The second was a groomsmen of mine that texted me last winter "I want to kill a deer next year". I replied with how about we start with a turkey. We got two opening weekend. Last fall he got a decent muley opening week of our home state and a lifetime muley in MT with another friend. All he has ever talked about even after them two beautiful bucks is hunting turkey again.

This year my goal is to get a youth out and an "adult" for their first hunt. Minimum of one new hunter every year is the goal.

Keep Calm and Gobble On!

RiverRoost

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 10, 2021, 09:49:39 PM
I recently read a Zig Ziglar quote.  Something like "Life is like an echo, you get back what you give out". 

Very true. We have a guy at our hunting club that's handicap and rides the main camp road in his wheelchair. Well at one point during last Turkey season the mosquitos were awful, without a doubt too bad to hunt without a thermacell. So he's coming down the road in his chair and in shorts and short sleeve shirt, mosquitos wearing him. He flags me down as I'm pulling out of my drive to go into the woods and tries his best to talk and ask for mosquito spray. So I tell him I have some and turn around and go back inside to get it snd he meets me in the drive and tells me to cover him in spray. I mean they are tearing this man up. So I spray him down real good and he goes on his way. My brother is in the yard messing with something and I tell him what the guy wanted and I gave him some spray. Proceed to tell my brother that maybe that afternoon the favor will be repaid and I'll kill my other bird that afternoon. Wasn't gone 10 minutes, didn't make it to where I wanted to start hunting at and round the curve and there's two gobblers strutting in the dirt road with hens. Bail off my ATV and put my gloves etc on and run in the woods and start calling and one of the gobblers comes right in. Firmly believe that bird was a nod from the big man for a deed well done earlier that afternoon!

deerhunt1988

Quote from: RiverRoost on February 11, 2021, 12:37:08 AM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 10, 2021, 09:49:39 PM

Very true. We have a guy at our hunting club that's handicap and rides the main camp road in his wheelchair. Well at one point during last Turkey season the mosquitos were awful, without a doubt too bad to hunt without a thermacell. So he's coming down the road in his chair and in shorts and short sleeve shirt, mosquitos wearing him. He flags me down as I'm pulling out of my drive to go into the woods and tries his best to talk and ask for mosquito spray. So I tell him I have some and turn around and go back inside to get it snd he meets me in the drive and tells me to cover him in spray. I mean they are tearing this man up. So I spray him down real good and he goes on his way. My brother is in the yard messing with something and I tell him what the guy wanted and I gave him some spray. Proceed to tell my brother that maybe that afternoon the favor will be repaid and I'll kill my other bird that afternoon. Wasn't gone 10 minutes, didn't make it to where I wanted to start hunting at and round the curve and there's two gobblers strutting in the dirt road with hens. Bail off my ATV and put my gloves etc on and run in the woods and start calling and one of the gobblers comes right in. Firmly believe that bird was a nod from the big man for a deed well done earlier that afternoon!

I found this hilarious cause I totally thought you were gonna help the wheelchair guy kill a bird. Not kill it yourself.  :TooFunny:

Happy

Quote from: eggshell on February 10, 2021, 11:17:22 PM

hmmm isin dis one of them thangs....oh shucks what thay callit, oh yeah an oxymoron. To make this statement with the handle "Happy"

sometimes your friends are just like a turkey beak, always picking at something
Hey, I may be one of them there dumb ox thing's you mentioned:).
but I do like to have some good natured fun. In all honesty though if killing a turkey means so much to someone that they are willing to treat others poorly then I feel sorry for them. There are much bigger concerns in life. But eggshell you need to hang with me and I can teach you a thing or two. Gotta always keep them guessing and wondering just how tightly your wrapped.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

QuoteBut eggshell you need to hang with me and I can teach you a thing or two. Gotta always keep them guessing and wondering just how tightly your wrapped.

A wise old nut told me about stranger danger and that if they didn't know the safe password to not get in the truck with them....do you know the password, Happy? He warned me there are people out there that could lead me astray. 

Oh, being one of those Oxy things doesn't mean anything about someones intellect....yeah I used a big word and my wife questions my I.Q. daily.

Having fun with someone is actually part of a healthy friendship