turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who we are in the woods, reflects Our Character in life

Started by eggshell, February 10, 2021, 09:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

It's winter and I am bored, so I spend time reading different forums and watching some youtube videos. I have participated in and viewed several forum discussions that deal with behavior, sportsmanship and ethics in general. As we watch the daily current events, we see a society that is struggling with many issues from a pandemic, isolation, social justice and morality.

We outdoor enthusiast have a God given outlet for our energy and emotional therapy. The great out doors should be a balm and remedy for our pain and anguish, but I see us just bringing the daily pain along with us into the woods and interactions with our fellow outdoors enthusiast. There should be a sign at every forest gate/parking lot, stream access, boat launch and trail head that says, "Leave your anger, pain, emotions, greed and troubles here, they are not allowed beyond this point. You can pick them up when you leave". why do we eat our own?   

During 2020 many people had one of the most painful years of their lives. Many didn't know what to do and they came to the outdoors to get some relief. Some were greeted with smiles, but many got a cold shoulder and a snarl. We do not own God's creation we are only the stewards of it, and it was meant for all. That does not mean that sometimes these people are not aggravating and yes even butt holes, but that does not mean we should digress and be less than engaging, friendly and caring. To respond with contempt and resentment is a poison we pour into our own souls.

There is so much wonder in the great outdoors to enjoy. Let yourselves loose and enjoy it. If during your quest you encounter someone else, I challenge you to share a simple act of kindness. Perhaps two of you meet at a gate and both have targeted a specific Gobbler or you have one spotted. Just in the name of kindness, give way or maybe even simply put the other guy on the bird. Perhaps some day someone will do the same for you, or perhaps they already have. Life is a race to see who can gain the most the fastest, perhaps our time outdoors should be a little slower? Slow up and watch the wildlife, notice the flowers and listen to the songs of spring.

Why shouldn't we be better than what we see in society's unrest? Should we burn down the woods because we don't think what someone else done is fair? The Bible says, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". One thing I see seasoned outdoorsmen doing is griping about nimrods and newbies. when you encounter them, educate them in some small way, but be kind. We as sportspeople can and should be better....life sucks enough without dragging it along in our sport.

Post a story or example of a way you have shared an act of kindness or post a resolution of something you intend to do this year in your time afield.

Meleagris gallopavo

Well said.  Last season I shared hunting land with another hunter who I felt was being less than up front with me about where he was hunting and when.  In some instances I became very angry with this individual.  When scouting one day I saw a nice gobbler on part of the property where he usually hunts.  I really wanted that bird badly and I knew I could get him the next day.  I didn't feel good about doing that, so instead I told him about it and went so far as sending him a picture of the property and I marked the spot where I saw the bird and when I saw it.  I hunted across the road from that spot the next day.  I heard him shoot the bird and he sent me the pictures.  It was bigger than any bird I harvested last year.  I did not even hear a gobble in my vicinity that same morning.  I think we both are still in competition for birds for this upcoming year and I've heard some things he's said about me that are less than flattering.  I don't have any control over that, but what I can control is what I say and do. 
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

PharmHunter

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 10, 2021, 09:36:13 AM
Well said.  Last season I shared hunting land with another hunter who I felt was being less than up front with me about where he was hunting and when.  In some instances I became very angry with this individual.  When scouting one day I saw a nice gobbler on part of the property where he usually hunts.  I really wanted that bird badly and I knew I could get him the next day.  I didn't feel good about doing that, so instead I told him about it and went so far as sending him a picture of the property and I marked the spot where I saw the bird and when I saw it.  I hunted across the road from that spot the next day.  I heard him shoot the bird and he sent me the pictures.  It was bigger than any bird I harvested last year.  I did not even hear a gobble in my vicinity that same morning.  I think we both are still in competition for birds for this upcoming year and I've heard some things he's said about me that are less than flattering.  I don't have any control over that, but what I can control is what I say and do.

Thanks for sharing and kudos to you.  Your last sentence is a lesson that we all need to learn or have reinforced quite often, and we'd be better for it.

quavers59

Last year, I helped a Female Friend get her first 2 Longbeards. Took 12 Days. I probably  could have taken 2 more New Jersey Gobblers myself-- but helping her was more important.

jgard

PalmettoRon

Great post eggshell! You can indeed tell a lot about a person based on what they do or don't do when no one is watching.

Gobble!

I don't get enough tags each year so I commonly hunt with others. Watching my boys kill their first birds has been very special. I commonly hunt with friends and always enjoy their success. Taking a friend who has never killed a turkey this spring. Really looking forward to those hunts.

mountaineer long beard

Good post eggshell and good advice for all.

I hunt private land only so I dont see other hunters, however my resolution this year is the same as always. I will spend as much time in the field as possible and thank God for every opportunity I have. I will try to remember how blessed I am to just be able to hunt, knowing that most people on earth will never know the joy of watching a sunrise in the turkey woods. That's my plan anyway.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hooksfan

Quote from: eggshell on February 10, 2021, 09:15:15 AM
There should be a sign at every forest gate/parking lot, stream access, boat launch and trail head that says, "Leave your anger, pain, emotions, greed and troubles here, they are not allowed beyond this point. You can pick them up when you leave". why do we eat our own

Thank you for posting! The only thing I would add to that sign would be the word "pride".
I believe one of the best things we can do is offer to take in a youth or other beginning hunter who has had limited access and success. For me, that has meant working with disabled hunters and disabled veterans. God has removed the ego and pride I once carried and I actually enjoy my time spent hunting more than I ever have.

Tom007

Great posts here. Eggshell, very well said, I'd hunt with you anytime... Here's the way I look at the outdoor world. God indeed created the land and wildlife we all have the RIGHT to share. I hunt both public, and private lands. I've had my share with hunter interaction, but fortunately it has been minimal. What I find is the people that hunt the public are a bit more stressed and uneasy. I have to sympathize with them, because if you only hunt public, your competing for birds, and spots. It can wear on you. Private land hunters are way more relaxed, and less stressed. It's just a product of the two hunting conditions. Turkey hunting really is a solo connection between hunter and bird. It's a game of chess where he or she who makes the right decisions and moves win. The few interactions in my career that I have encountered, I ended up moved on to another area to hunt another bird. In my mind, the last thing I want is to squabble with a stranger that I totally do not know out in the middle of no where with a loaded firearm. We are all under stress with our divided country and pandemic. You never know how much stress an individual is under till you live in their shoes. That's why I have no problem sharing the woods with my fellow hunters. I harvest my share of gobblers, and enjoy every season and minute in the woods. I certainly do not ever want any negative interaction to spoil these adventures. The moral for me here is take control of what we can control. Avoid controversy, yield to others in our woods, and just be a kind human being. I have found that god has rewarded me with many beautiful gobblers, and for that and all he has created for us, I am extremely grateful. God bless everyone here on the forum, and all the other comrades we meet in the woods along the way. Be safe, best of luck this spring and many more to come.
"Solo hunter"

eggshell

As several has already stated, many of my best hunts and memories are when I helped people bag their very first gobbler. I can relive some of my own joy with each one of them. It is in fact one of the best things we can do. when we take someone under our wings, like an old hen with her clutch, we become the standard they gauge their own hunting by. 

Tom007

Quote from: eggshell on February 10, 2021, 11:37:29 AM
As several has already stated, many of my best hunts and memories are when I helped people bag their very first gobbler. I can relive some of my own joy with each one of them. It is in fact one of the best things we can do. when we take someone under our wings, like an old hen with her clutch, we become the standard they gauge their own hunting by.

Amen my friend
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

One of my fondest memories, was back years ago taking a young man on his first turkey hunting and calling a bird up for him and him killing the gobbler. Just this pass year he passed away at very young age, and the day after the funeral, i shared the story with his son about us hunting and his dad killing the gobbler. I also on several occasions took his dad catfishing on the Tennessee River. I shared all the stories that day with his son. It brought tears to us all and we had some laughs..that's what the outdoors is all about sharing memories with yourself and your friends and seeing those beautiful sunrises and sunsets. 

dublelung

Very well spoken! I think we all should read that about once a week.

tracker#1

Great thread Eggshell. The first organized sportsmen club I joined was an NWTF Niagara Frontier Chapter in western NYS back in 1983. At the time they had more members than at the state level had and the only chapter on this side of Albany, NY. I had no clue how to turkey hunt at all. A couple of members took me under their wing and took me out calling and scouting birds one early spring. On that first morning out, they called up a dominant hen and put her right on my lap. It was to this day an awakening. I will never forget those members who went unselfishly out of their way to help this rookie out. So now in return, I do the same for other newbies and youngsters who desire to learn the game. Over the years I have achieved many sportsmen awards from various clubs to which I belong, but the best on my den wall is a framed thank you card and picture of a young lady with a bird I had called in for and can not think of any better award...pass it on to others!