turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Banded Turkeys

Started by Will, February 08, 2021, 01:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I was just curious as to how many on here have killed a banded turkey. Years ago I remember seeing a full bodied banded turkey mount at Daves Sport Shop on 349 outside of Salisbury Maryland. He mentioned the bird was relocated when they were building populations on the Eastern Shore.

PalmettoRon

Killed one in 1998 on private land adjacent to the Savannah River Plant in SC where nuclear weapons were made. The bird was a 3 yr old with 11 1/2" beard. Had a metal leg band and also a radiotransmitter mounted on its back with 2 flexible loops securing the transmitter at the base of the wings. I notified the SC DNR and received info that the bird had been banded about 2 yrs prior and the site was about 1 1/2 -2 miles from where I killed it.

That's my one and only and I've been fortunate to be old enough and hunt multiple states to have taken a lot of gobblers in almost 40 years of being after them. it's always cool to stumble on something like this, wspecially with migratory waterfowl.

Treerooster

I've got 3 banded turkeys. All the birds were part of a study being done at the time or a few years after the study.

One Merriam's from SD Black Hills in 2002. He was a 2 year old.

Two Rio's from Colorado. Got both of those the same year, 2015. One was 6 years old (1 1/8" spurs) and the other was 7 years old (1 3/8" spurs).

I also called in a Rio banded 3 year old (1 1/4" spurs) in Colorado in 2012 for a buddy of mine.

The Merriam's from 2002 did not have a riveted band. That was before they were using riveted bands on male turkeys, or maybe they had just started. Now I am pretty sure all male turkeys get riveted bands.

1st pic Merriam's. 2nd pic 7 year old. 3rd pic 6 year old. 4th pic My friend and me with his banded Rio.

Tail Feathers

I killed one.  He traveled less than a mile from the banding site in a year.  I talked to the guy who handed the bird.  He said he only out bands on two jakes the year before.  one was a double beard.  Mine was a single beard.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

g8rvet

Based on the number of ducks I have shot to only get two banded birds, I don't think the ratio provides it likely I will ever kill a banded bird.

I did a necropsy on a banded, radio collared hen.  Does that count? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

guesswho

I've killed and or saw a turkey or two get killed over the years.  Seen some weird stuff injury wise, but have never seen a banded turkey killed. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

deerhunt1988

I've got 3.

First two from a state east of the Mississippi. Both birds also had radio transmitters. One was killed close to where he was trapped a few months prior. The other was killed 1.3 miles away from where he was trapped 2 years prior. Longest spurred bird was at least 4yo.

Third came the next season from a midwest state. He was banded the year before as a jake, not far from where he was killed.

FLGobstopper

I shot one in 2003 or 04 on a WMA in FL that was in partnership with some lands the University of Florida was doing a 5 year study. Got mine in about year 4 and about had a chance the next year at the last one I ever saw again with a band. The one I got had a metal band like a duck band then 3 other colored bands on the other leg. Guess the different colors were for easier ID when the researchers saw them. It was cool, wish I would of mounted that bird, but I was in my 20's and well, you know.

Gumby

One killed and buddy another. Same area. Same year. Kansas

RutnNStrutn

I haven't ever killed a banded duck, much less a banded turkey!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

simpzenith

I recently spoke to wildlife biologist from a state that I plan to hunt this spring and he was telling me about a banding project currently underway but I just couldn't him to disclose the locations of the release sites. Dang it!   :TooFunny:

Will

A banded duck or goose is one thing but a banded turkey.....that to me is another level.

Ol timer

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to help my local NWTF chapter and State Wildlife officials trap and relocate turkeys to another part of the state I helped with the operation boxing and banding the trapped Turkeys.

PalmettoRon

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 08, 2021, 07:37:32 PM
I've got 3.

First two from a state east of the Mississippi. Both birds also had radio transmitters. One was killed close to where he was trapped a few months prior. The other was killed 1.3 miles away from where he was trapped 2 years prior. Longest spurred bird was at least 4yo.

Wow that's crazy getting 2 banded birds in one hunt. Haha, a state east of Mississippi--uh starts with South! I thought I kept things close to the vest. I wonder if the SCDNR has done more of the banding and research than some states based on the NWTF being located in Edgefield?

Third came the next season from a midwest state. He was banded the year before as a jake, not far from where he was killed.

Tail Feathers

:welcomeOG:
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 09, 2021, 12:11:24 AM
I haven't ever killed a banded duck, much less a banded turkey!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.
My first greenhead was a banded bird.  12 years old.  I couldn't find that band to add to this one of my turkey band.  That's a Pappy tube call and you may recognize the other items.  :toothy9:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!