turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2021 Spring Turkey Hunting & Fishing COVID-19 Restrictions

Started by mookyj, February 07, 2021, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mookyj

The following update of currently impacted state hunting and fishing seasons is an unfortunate reality as they were this past year... I will continue to update this when states ease and or rescind restrictions entirely. Instead of season shutdowns, many states have opted for 10 to 14-day quarantines with options of 72 hour testing to forgo the quarantine which modifies our plans at the least, or ends the possibilities of taking the trip in the worst scenario. In general most of the restrictions will affect all travel without regard to purpose. Canada is currently shut down for all recreational activities for non-residents.

Please review your home state for return restrictions as you would for your next hunting or fishing destination as 23 of the 52 states are currently subjected to restrictions....   

more
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

rakkin6

Quote from: mookyj on February 07, 2021, 07:58:00 PM

The following update of currently impacted state hunting and fishing seasons is an unfortunate reality as they were this past year... I will continue to update this when states ease and or rescind restrictions entirely. Instead of season shutdowns, many states have opted for 10 to 14-day quarantines with options of 72 hour testing to forgo the quarantine which modifies our plans at the least, or ends the possibilities of taking the trip in the worst scenario. In general most of the restrictions will affect all travel without regard to purpose. Canada is currently shut down for all recreational activities for non-residents.

Please review your home state for return restrictions as you would for your next hunting or fishing destination as 23 of the 52 states are currently subjected to restrictions....   

more
So Kentucky recommends a 14 day quarantine. I live one mile across the state border from Kentucky in Tennessee. I am planning on hunting Kentucky this year.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Greg Massey

rakkin6

These politicians have no answers for any of that

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

mookyj

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 07, 2021, 08:14:18 PM
What about if you have taken the Covid vaccine shot ?

Read down thru the restricted states, some mention it, some do not. This a much larger state's rights issue vs federal control of travel and commerce between states. I am from NY and I can't say much about how its being ran, or how they have handled the outbreak despite being handed millions in resources. I apologize for the leadership I certainly did not vote for.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

Matt76cmich

Looks like I should be good to go

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: mookyj on February 07, 2021, 08:21:15 PM

Read down thru the restricted states, some mention it, some do not. This a much larger state's rights issue vs federal control of travel and commerce between states. I am from NY and I can't say much about how its being ran, or how they have handled the outbreak despite being handed millions in resources. I apologize for the leadership I certainly did not vote for.
Looks like maybe some of the states are over looking people who have taken the vaccine in my opinion. Looks like this information for some states was put together before the vaccine became available. Interesting for sure how all of this will play out this year.

mookyj

Information is as current as 2/6/2021 also after checking multiple sources. State covid websites updates are weekly if not daily. Should you see something not up to date, let me know as I do not rely on one or two sources. It takes a bit to verify all this.

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 07, 2021, 09:03:17 PM

Looks like maybe some of the states are over looking people who have taken the vaccine in my opinion. Looks like this information for some states was put together before the vaccine became available. Interesting for sure how all of this will play out this year.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

Jstocks

I'm already severely hindered on my season due to a new job, now this continues.....

avidnwoutdoorsman

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 07, 2021, 09:03:17 PM

Just because you got the vaccine doesn't mean that you cant be a carrier and transmit. They are going to use this card to keep us shut down as long as they can. Makes the test worthless doesn't it now too? Except the focus is hospital capacity isn't it? So if you cant get covid you can't go take a bed in the hospital... See what I'm getting at. Stop the spread or stay out of a hospital bed?

Mumbo jumbo political garbage
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

rakkin6

I tested positive for the antibodies last March and negative for the antigens through a physical I was taking for my retirement from the Army. Meaning I had it sometime at the beginning of 2020 or late 2019. Didn't show one symptom. They can keep the shot no need in taking it if I have the antibodies already. That's like shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. Didn't show not one symptom so I was surprised about it. They did an additional test to confirm so I could donate blood and plasma to help with a vaccine/study the virus. In my mind since I have the antibodies and I donated to help create it I will wait until next year to take it and let them give it to the elderly and people that have pre-existing issues and people in high risk jobs like front line workers educators etc.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

GobbleNut

First of all, anybody that could not see the possibility of this happening again this spring hasn't been paying attention for the last year.  If we don't get this under control, it could well happen again next spring. 

The real questions to me, as one who would like to travel a bit to turkey hunt this spring, are these:
>  What constitutes "quarantining"? 
    My current understanding is that it means you go to one location and stay there and stay away from
    contact with anybody else you might infect.  If that location is in the woods where you will have no
    contact with others, is that going to be acceptable?  And if you are in the woods by yourself, will you be
    able to travel in those woods in a manner in which you will not have contact with other folks?  And who is
    going to enforce any restrictions on that sort of activity?

>  If getting tested prior to a hunting trip is acceptable, will I be able to be tested in my home
    state/community prior to leaving on my trip, or do I have to get tested once I arrive in the state I'm
    going to hunt?  Will I be able to take one of the "quick tests", either administered by someone else or
    with the self-administered kits now available? 

>  How are the states going to enforce any of this?  Are there going to be "check stations" at the border of
    every state?  If not, are we going to be required to go straight to a test site to be tested for the virus?  If
    not, is there going to be someone following us to wherever we are headed and then enforcing the
    quarantine? 

In the end, the easiest way for states to prevent people like us from traveling to other states to hunt is to just not sell us hunting licenses. I fully expect that to happen again in some of the states that did it last year, and probably more to be added this year. 

The "well, I'm just gonna go huntin anyway" attitude some folks seem to be spouting is all well and good,...up until the time you get caught out in the woods and end up with about a $5,000 fine on your plate. 

Bottom line is that we turkey hunters are likely in for another rocky road in terms of getting to hunt wherever we want this spring. 

NCL

Greg

Thanks for asking was wondering the same thing. It seems like the vaccine is becoming much more available. We actually received a call from a our health provider to come in an get the shot.

GobbleNut

Quote from: NCL on February 08, 2021, 09:27:05 AM
Greg

Thanks for asking was wondering the same thing. It seems like the vaccine is becoming much more available. We actually received a call from a our health provider to come in an get the shot.

I am anticipating getting the vaccine prior to most state's seasons, as well.  It would be nice if that was going to make a difference,...but I have my doubts.  I don't think enough folks will have gotten the vaccine in the next few months to make a difference this year.  We'll see....

PalmettoRon

I've had both of the Pfizer vaccine shots. I will wear a mask out in public or around my unvaccinated friends, but I'm planning on hunting out of state for sure. I suspect many states will require a negative COVID test within 72 hrs before arrival and perhaps another if you're in that state 4 or more days. They may questionably cut you some slack if you're 2 weeks out from the second shot and therefore have as much benefit from the vaccine as you're gonna receive, but still will probably require testing as you could still be a COVID carrier.

It's everyone's business, but I've already bought the out of state licenses I can currently buy in case a state decides later to not sell further tags. I was refunded last Spring every state but one, so there is little downside to having a license/tag in hand.

This could all go sideways if the newer variants of COVID render the vaccine less effective. I'm optimistic that this will be a somewhat normal Spring, though it won't be completely normal for sure. There's just not been enough folks vaccinated to even begin to approach herd immunity.