OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gould's

Started by Ridge, February 05, 2021, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridge

Looking for mountains, a drive across the border with your own guns, authentic Mexican food, 2 birds, and cold cervezas. Who do you recommend?

slicksbeagles1

El halcon, you will have to fly. Manuel knows his stuff and everything is taken care of, all paper work. We took our guns with no problem, Manuel was at the airport and was with us checking in guns, it was a breeze. I would recommend that if you drive make sure the outfitter is with you and knows there stuff and has the right connections.

PalmettoRon

Absolutely do not drive across the border yourself with guns unless you have done a ton of homework to get the paperwork absolutely correct. The Mexicans will put you in jail even for bringing shells in, even without a gun, if you don't have the requisite paperwork.

Lovett Williams used to lead cross border excursions for Goulds, but he's gone to that Big Roost in the sky. Jay Scott outfits Gould's trips that involve them driving you across the AZ border into Mexico. I have not hunted with him ever, but hear good things.

El Halcon has a good reputation. I've never hunted with that outfit, but again it's fly in.

I haven't hunted Goulds since 2009, but did so several times with Wingshooters Lodge. It's fly in too, but lots of birds. You can hunt with your own guns and they handle the Mexican government paperwork and getting you through customs.

Personally, I wouldn't drive through Sonora or Chihuahua if you paid me. Too much can go sideways down there not only with the outlaws but also with"law enforcement."

Ridge

Thanks for the advice. I should have clarified, but thought it was implied. I will not be driving across by myself with guns without an outfitter. Was just talking about crossing by land and not air.

PalmettoRon

My mistake. Jay Scott is probably a good choice. Have fun! You will!

avidnwoutdoorsman

Quote from: PalmettoRon on February 07, 2021, 06:08:56 PM
My mistake. Jay Scott is probably a good choice. Have fun! You will!

:agreed:
Keep Calm and Gobble On!

GobbleNut

Having gone the "do it yourself" route a few times in Mexico for Goulds, I would say to stick with a reputable outfitter if you can afford it.  The "peace of mind" factor is worth a great deal when contemplating the potential pitfalls in going it alone.  The language barrier in itself adds a certain level of uneasiness to the entire affair.  ...Aren't many folks out in the wilds of Mexico that speak English! 

dzsmith

Do not drive period. I broke down in Saltillo in my own vehicle by myself , with no cell service 2 years ago. Fuel pump . You have no help there , nobody is coming to save you.... it wouldn't matter if you had somebody who could save you they can't save you. Mexico isn't 3rd world ... it's 4th world . And it's getting more dangerous every year. If you don't fly , make sure an outfitter takes you from the u.s to your destination and back. And they help you every step of the way. Otherwise don't risk it..... it ain't worth being broke down like I was and having to buy your way back to the border. Do not take your own gun ..... use the outfitters. They likely won't give you a vehicle permit unless you slip them cash.... everybody there will try to stand you up one way or another . Toll roads armed to the teeth everywhere you go ..... and once you get off the border nobody speaks English period . Absolutely do not go by yourself . Life has no value there .... I know that's hateful , but it's reality. Use a 5 star outfit or stay at the house.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

GobbleNut

Quote from: dzsmith on February 09, 2021, 07:20:11 AM
Do not drive period. I broke down in Saltillo in my own vehicle by myself , with no cell service 2 years ago. Fuel pump . You have no help there , nobody is coming to save you.... it wouldn't matter if you had somebody who could save you they can't save you.

I can only imagine that "alone" feeling one would have in that situation.  Glad it never happened to me/us when we went down there,...but it was ALWAYS in the back of our minds. ...Definitely not a place where you want to get stranded,...and especially by yourself!  :o

WW

Do not drive period. I broke down in Saltillo in my own vehicle by myself , with no cell service 2 years ago. Fuel pump . You have no help there , nobody is coming to save you.... it wouldn't matter if you had somebody who could save you they can't save you. Mexico isn't 3rd world ... it's 4th world . And it's getting more dangerous every year. If you don't fly , make sure an outfitter takes you from the u.s to your destination and back. And they help you every step of the way. Otherwise don't risk it..... it ain't worth being broke down like I was and having to buy your way back to the border. Do not take your own gun ..... use the outfitters. They likely won't give you a vehicle permit unless you slip them cash.... everybody there will try to stand you up one way or another . Toll roads armed to the teeth everywhere you go ..... and once you get off the border nobody speaks English period . Absolutely do not go by yourself . Life has no value there .... I know that's hateful , but it's reality. Use a 5 star outfit or stay at the house.

How did you get your vehicle repaired? Paid someone to tow it to a shop?

PalmettoRon

Ridge indicates he is not looking to personally drive to and from Mexico. I know Jay Scott outfits drive in trips from AZ to Mexico although I have never hunted with him. I have read nice things about his hunts. You should be able to bring your own gun on such a trip even driving across the border. The outfitter can handle all the paperwork. It may not be worth the extra cost to do so. Most outfitters have good quality guns in Mexico. If you don't bring a gun, ABSOLUTELY do NOT bring any shells. If you are caught with the shells and no paperwork, you will go to jail. Only bring the gauge shells appropriate for your gun. Make sure your serial numbers of your gun 100% match your weapon.

As long as you are with an outfitter it will be relatively safe. The operative word is relatively. When I hunted in Yecora Sonora with Wingshooters Lodge, I took the 4 hr very scary mountain drive in a van from Ciudad Obregon on a few occasions. Nothing bad ever happened, but we were stopped and searched on several of the trips at dark in a remote area. That had my attention. I also took the 45-50 minute small plane from Obregon to Yecora, landing on a lava rock strewn air strip. The Mexican army enjoyed going through our stuff all the while with young dudes carelessly moving their automatic weapons.

I can say I truly loved the scenery and those very receptive and beautiful Goulds. I got scared off with all the drug traffic in the border area of Sonora and Chihuahua and haven't been back since 2009. I'm getting older and am contemplating another trip in 1-3 years. Most likely everything will go fine and the hunting is really a blast, but you have to understand, you have no rights down there. Most of the authorities are crooked and if you were to come up on some drug activity to or from your hunt in the dark, it would not end well.

I want to win the NM Gould's raffle! USA Goulds is the best of both worlds. Also, may start applying for AZ Gould's hunts, but I so enjoy hunting Merriam's there, that I haven't been willing to risk not getting drawn for Merriams by applying for Goulds.

GobbleNut

Quote from: PalmettoRon on February 09, 2021, 09:39:44 AM
I want to win the NM Gould's raffle! USA Goulds is the best of both worlds. Also, may start applying for AZ Gould's hunts, but I so enjoy hunting Merriam's there, that I haven't been willing to risk not getting drawn for Merriams by applying for Goulds.

Yeah,...don't we all!    Good luck.  I'm rooting for someone here on OG!    :D
There is the auction tag available, as well.  I think the auction hasn't taken place yet.  That happens at the NWTF convention, and since it is going to be virtual this year, maybe that tag will a reasonable opportunity.  Then again, it may work the other way. 

I'm not sure what the auction tag has gone for in the last few years, but when it was first offered, I believe it was going for around $3,000 or thereabouts.  That's about what a Mexico Goulds trip is running on average now.  Soooo,...you might take a look at the auction tag.  I think it is coming up pretty soon....   :icon_thumright:

PalmettoRon

The last time I was in Nashville, I think the tag went for around $4500. I think an outfitter has been buying the auction tag the last several years, but am not sure of that. $3K would be very tempting, although that's one bird. My kids are all grown and on their own, so I'm less risk averse now for travel to places that are a bit dicey, although I was never too risk averse. Gould's hunting based on the terrain, the way the birds work and look and even the way they gobble--it sounds like gobble or obble--makes it a definite bucket list item for every turkey hunter.

cramerhunts

Jay Scott 100%. Just look at GouldsTurkeyHunt.com and watch some of the videos, read about the hunts, or contact Jay directly.

dzsmith

Quote from: WW on February 09, 2021, 09:23:23 AM

How did you get your vehicle repaired? Paid someone to tow it to a shop?
2 guys.  Stopped.  They had a jack. And tools. We lowered the tank off the vehicle.  They wrote on paper "pump" and "auto store".... guys couldn't speak English . They left me there and I just prayed they were coming back. 2 hours later they showed up with a brand new fuel pump in a box. We put in in. By the way my tank was  full to the brim. Then they drove me to an atm...... i payed them what they asked for because i was in no position to barter.  And I drove all night and crossed back into American soil about 2am.   And said never again.  I also got in a bad traffic jam in Monterrey and run over a dog while stuck in a street packed with people while they stared at me as my tire was sitting on top of a dog screaming for its life.   And I couldn't move my vehicle ...... yeah that wasn't a comfortable moment.  I'll tell you this.     I was prepared to walk back to border if I had to and leave everything I had if that's what it took.  Fortunately by the grace of God I didn't have to .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."