News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

From an 835 to a BPS advice welcome.

Started by YukonC, February 05, 2021, 04:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: Tom007 on February 05, 2021, 07:18:49 PM
Here's one on my Sweet 16. You can see how low it sits. Perfect...

That is a Burris Fast Fire 3 with the sun shade cover on it.......
"Solo hunter"

davisd9

Quote from: YukonC on February 05, 2021, 07:18:33 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 05, 2021, 07:14:54 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 05, 2021, 07:00:32 PM
Quote from: YukonC on February 05, 2021, 06:46:06 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 05, 2021, 05:18:49 PM
If you want to use the red dot: https://meadowcreekmounts.com/order-now/ols/products/burrisvortexdocter-rib-mount

Usually with handloads in TSS 12 gauge a 665-680 is a good choke range, would not worry about brand overall but do a little research or ask Hal his opinion.

Do not worry about gun not being camo. Hide in the shadows and keep movement down and it makes no difference. Best thing about getting it dipped is protecting it but that gun is quality so you should not have many issues.

3" shells is more than enough for any critter you want to hunt.

Good choice and I love a tang safety.
I saw these! I wonder how low profile they are. Really don't want to do any comb work as the stock feels really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of guys should be able to chime in on them. I looked through one and would not think you would need to mess with the comb

I have 2 Meadow Creek set ups. It is as low as you are going to get. You won't need any comb adjustment. Best way to go without drilling and tapping. Best of luck....
One quick question. I have heard with these when you remove your barrel and clean and reinstall you will have to rezero?

It is attached to the barrel so you should be fine. If it is attached to the receiver you just have to make sure the barrel nut is tightened the same each time.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

YukonC

Anyone have advice for a choke with a 28" barrel. Naturally I wasn't to get a IC which I think is a .665

YukonC

Naturally I want to get a IC I meant to say.

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

runngun

I have had great luck with a Pure Gold .670, you are definitely not handicapping yourself with 3 inches. Polish that barrel to a mirror shine!!!

Have a good one
Ray

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

YukonC

I have and Indian creek .665 & .675 as well as a pure gold .670 on the way.

Tom007

You will love them.....best of luck. Post some pattern pics....
"Solo hunter"

Brs2427

Just a question did you shoot geese with the red dot on your 835? Or take it off when it's not turkey season.

YukonC

Quote from: Brs2427 on February 16, 2021, 09:30:38 PM
Just a question did you shoot geese with the red dot on your 835? Or take it off when it's not turkey season.
Never got to use it for goose because of the light primer strikes! I was planning on leaving the dot.

Turkeytider

Quote from: YukonC on February 05, 2021, 04:06:36 PM
Well I am sad to say I am done with my Mossberg 835. I have had it for the last four years and it has taken plenty of nice birds but this week I went out to shoot it and check zero for a goose hunt and it started to create light primer strikes. After a sleepless week of troubleshooting and pin/spring replacements and talking to Mossberg I can't get it to stop and can no longer trust it.

So I found myself looking for a new shotgun in a very depleted market. I feel I got lucky finding a new (2019) Browning BPS Field 28" wood on black. Literally the only pump I could find that wasn't used and abused in my area.

What I like is that it is very similar to my 835 with the safety and from what I understand the barrel. When I shoulder it feels way more natural than the 835 did for sure.

What I don't like is that it's only a 3" BUT I am starting to make my own tss that is 3" so I should be okay. Just like the option of having the ability to use 3 1/2". It's a 28" barrel which I would prefer a 24" but jury is out. If it patterns good I'll leave it alone unless I find 4" really is a hassle in the woods. It is not tapped for a red dot mount which is a big bummer as I started using one last year and love it BUT this incident had me thinking what if I was pointing at a bird and that damn battery dies!!?? So I may consider putting iron sights on. It's not camo which that is a first to me but I really like the looks and I doubt it would hinder my concealment but you never know...

I was a huge fan of the Indian creek choke on the Mossberg so I am planning on buying that first but I would like opinions on that for Hal's 3" tss load if anyone has any. Any other upgrade advice is welcome!

I could tell the second I picked it up this gun will end up in the hands of my kids as it's going to last. Didn't have that feel with the 835.

You didn`t mention sending the 835 in to Mossberg or enlisting the aid of a good gunsmith (?). Just mentioning those options since you seem to like your 835, which is a classic turkey gun along with the 870. Not knocking the BPS, I`m sure it will do fine.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

YukonC

Well turn if events. Decided to go with what I really wanted which is the beretta a400 xtreme in bottomland. Now going to sell the BPS. Anyone have advice on a good place to sell online outside of gunbroker? I would think it would sell as it's never been fired.