OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fun topic: Box call woods

Started by Wvturkeyhunter, February 01, 2021, 07:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wvturkeyhunter

Ok. So let's talk box call wood species. 1) Are there specific woods/combos used to get higher pitch/lower pitch/rasp or is it worked into the call when making? Also what are some of the more difficult woods to use in making a call but if u get it right it's special. Just a fun post for anyone willing to share.

culpeper

Often and not necessarily a standard, two 'harder' woods for lid and body, say Bloodwood/Black Cherry, or Ironwood/Sugar Maple for example, will produce a higher pitch, especially the front end and right at the break.  Matt Van Cise is great a such combo!  That said, I just finished two Bloodwood over Red Cedar boxes that are very high in the front with a bright crisp roll-over....with the Cedar they both drop hard at the back end and in this case, they worked...better than some.

At the same time, callmakers can and usually do a fair amount of tuning to bring in certain aspects, or accentuate a particular feature...a harder roll over, or a deeper bottom...to get more growl/rasp and such.  Truthfully any combo can be "difficult" if the wood just doesn't want to cooperate, but for me I have often found Walnut and Cherry for lids challenging...not sure why and Sycamore and Mineral Poplar for bodies.  And then there are those moments when for obvious reasons that can't really be explained, when both rails have it all, they start way up front, break hard run, slide and run themselves and fall into a sharp raspy deep bottom...but then that what my ears like to hear.

Wvturkeyhunter

I agree with the sycamore. It's very challenging for me as a body.