turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which one would you shoot?

Started by Mossyguy, January 31, 2021, 09:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Both birds came in. Both birds standing clear at 30 yds. I'm shooting the paintbrush beard.

Gobbler428

BigSlam51

Quote from: Aholdren on January 31, 2021, 09:04:31 AM
First one that gives me a shot!!!
What Holdren said

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: PalmettoRon on January 31, 2021, 09:09:18 AM
If I can get a clean shot, the thick 9" bearded bird.

Me too. I`m going to be more picky this year and look for paintbrushes with nice fans. I`ve already got a thin bearded bird. I`ll be letting more walk this year.

Ol timer

Never really noticed much if a bird has two beards unless he's running or moving them around to even tell. Usually after I walk up on a dead bird it's usually a surprised he's a double or triple  :drool: I'll be happy to just come home successful with one either way.

mcw3734

TrackeySauresRex

Bird in hand is worth more then one in the bush. ;D
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

RiverBuck

I like big birds.
If I have 2 toms in range and one has a shorter beard but looks bigger and heavier, I'll shoot him... but w that said, I'm taking the one out of the two that I know I can kill.

Tail Feathers

Couldn't pass up a double beard given the chance.  But either one is a trophy so I take the one who gives up first.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

captfire

310 gauge

The younger me would give them both a barrel...haha.  The older me would take out the double beard now and hunt his buddy in the near future.

crow

With the ammo shortage being what it is I'd wait for both heads to line up,
just like Quigley

ShootingABN!

This reminds me of a beautiful hunt in Virginia. Hunting with a friend on private land. We had two long beards come in. Put on a show at 55 yards or so. They where in a field, hens came and went. My buddy was behind me about 40 yards, calling. Anyway the birds went back in the woods to circle around us. Something made them change there mind. The both popped out of a creek bottom 20 yards from me. One was diffidently dominant over the other. However at twenty yards I couldn't tell. As soon as I was able to aim, I pulled the trigger. The bird hit the ground. The other one just looked and finally walked off. I was hoping my buddy would get a shot at him but it didn't work out.... Virginia is a one bird a day state. I would like to know how big the one that got away was???

Good luck.

Mossyguy

I've been getting quite a few pics of them lately and the double beard is the one that has been doing all the strutting. If I didn't know any better you would think he didn't have a beard at all according to the pics!

g8rvet

When I have been faced with this choice (all things being equal), I always take the dominant bird.  For 2 reasons. He put on the show and he gets the truck ride-it just sticks in my mind better than the trophy.  Also, if you kill the dominant bird, another will take his place! 

I like this kind of tough decision though!   :funnyturkey:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.