turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which one would you shoot?

Started by Mossyguy, January 31, 2021, 09:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyguy

I'm sitting here in my treestand on the last day of deer season. About 20 minutes ago I had a hen followed by 2 gobblers come by. They fed around for awhile at about 50 yards and I was able to get a pretty good look at them. The first gobbler had about a 9" beard and was thick as a paintbrush. I noticed the other one had two beards. The first was about 8 inches but about the size of a pencil. The other was about an inch shorter but was half the the size of the first one. Best I could tell from the spurs both appeared to be 2 year olds.

So come opening day if you call these birds in and you recognize them which one are you putting your bead on?

Aholdren

First one that gives me a shot!!!

Tom007

The first one that presents clean, well within range shot. They are both nice birds.....
"Solo hunter"

PalmettoRon

If I can get a clean shot, the thick 9" bearded bird.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Aholdren on January 31, 2021, 09:04:31 AM
First one that gives me a shot!!!
Me too. Can't eat beards but the pencil thin ones do make for better floss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Ahh yes, one of the age-old questions! 

Around these parts, multiple-bearded gobblers are as rare as "hens teeth", so I would definitely choose that one in this situation.  They are, in fact, so rare that I would probably have to do a "quadruple take" to convince myself that he actually had a double-beard and not just a split-beard. 

On the other hand, if I had to choose between letting them both walk off or shooting the other gobbler, he would very likely be in big trouble,...a snood-dirt-bath is probably in the offing!   :toothy12:

Then again, I once let an 8-bearded gobbler walk off without pulling the trigger.  I know he had eight beards because he made the mistake of coming back about an hour later!   ;D

SwampRooster17

If I had a choice probably the paintbrush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

TauntoHawk

Does this assume I look at the beards hard enough to see that on my own?

I have less multi beards than I do paint brushes so I'd shoot the double in theory in practice I killed the first one that gave me a good shot.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

In the heat of the battle , i would take the one that gives me the best shot opportunity. But i like the one with double beards. I would probably take the one who is the most aggressive and strutting of the 2 gobblers.

catman529

Whichever one gives me the first clean shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jstocks

Can't say that I typically look at one's beard much other than to verify it's a longbeard. First one up in the clear inside 40 yards takes the hit.