Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dropping one pot from the vest, which one?

Started by RiverRoost, January 21, 2021, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I'm carrying three pots in my vest and thinking about dropping one this season. I'm carrying a David Halloran Crystal Mistress, one of David's slates and David's ceramic. I'd like to keep the CM for sure so if I had to take one out which one between the ceramic and slate would get the boot and which one would stay to keep a varying sound from the CM?

sbbow

If it's his newest ceramic I would drop that one jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTH

Me personally, drop the one you have killed the most with and have the most confidence in. It will you make you get more proficient with the others.  :icon_thumright:
Phil 4:13

RiverRoost

Quote from: BTH on January 21, 2021, 12:41:56 PM
Me personally, drop the one you have killed the most with and have the most confidence in. It will you make you get more proficient with the others.  :icon_thumright:

Very good logic there. And I may try that, I like that idea. But to start the season I'm looking at dropping whichever sounds closest to the CM. Maybe I'll drop the CM AFTER I get the first bird of the season down, hopefully!  ;)

BTH

I completely understand. Get a bird in hand first so to speak! I like your logic better :agreed:
Phil 4:13

bbcoach

Don't drop any!  Add one more and use them all!  You never know what the birds are going to respond to.  I normally carry 4 pots, a box and several mouth calls and everyone will get used daily, unless I kill early.  I want to sound like different hens.  If I don't get a bird to respond, I will switch it up.  I will also use different cadences and different excitement levels.  Some will say only call every 15 to 20 minutes but if the birds aren't responding, change it up.  Good Luck.

rakkin6

Quote from: bbcoach on January 21, 2021, 03:53:39 PM
Don't drop any!  Add one more and use them all!  You never know what the birds are going to respond to.  I normally carry 4 pots, a box and several mouth calls and everyone will get used daily, unless I kill early.  I want to sound like different hens.  If I don't get a bird to respond, I will switch it up.  I will also use different cadences and different excitement levels.  Some will say only call every 15 to 20 minutes but if the birds aren't responding change it up.  Good Luck.
I agree add an aluminum, I carry 5 pot calls usually slate, ceramic, glass or crystal, an anodized and stoned aluminum. Along with a longbox, short box and 3 mouth calls. Really not to good on the mouth calls though that's why I carry so many other calls. I use these cases from cabela's to carry them in you can fit 2 calls in each case along with 2 strikers and there is plenty of room left in my pockets on my Tactical Tatr vest. I do have a vest that I use where I may only carry 2 if I am only hunting until maybe 8 or 9 and will be running and gunning the whole time. But usually my hunts last until at least 2 in the afternoon. When I do the later in the day hunts I usually setup on field edges or large open areas inside the woods with my turkey lounger and call about every 20-30 minutes or so. I would be willing to bet 70% of the birds I have killed have been between 10-2 when the hens have gone back to the nest.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

RiverBuck

Thanks for posting that call case.. I need one of those

For me, not taking a call to the turkey woods is an easy decision based solely on how they sound. I've got a lot of expensive dust collectors on a shelf.

bbcoach

Just to add another tidbit, this time of the year I'm practicing everyday.  I have 6 or 7 pots that I run 4 or 5 different strikers on, along with several mouth calls and a couple of boxes.  By the time our opener arrives, I'll have a REAL good idea what calls I'm most proficient with and sound the best and those are the ones that make it into the vest.     

Which Gun

I wouldn't drop a call. I've had birds coming in steady with one pot stop and turn away switched pot they turned came right on in. These birds were in a field so I could see they're response.

Ol timer

I'd stay with as many as you can add to your vest or bag, if your main go to is a friction call then I'd have as many options as possible.

Greg Massey

I personally wouldn't drop either one of the 3 pot calls , just carry one less shotgun shell...

owlhoot

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 22, 2021, 12:48:16 PM
I personally wouldn't drop either one of the 3 pot calls , just carry one less shotgun shell...
This right there

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Ol timer on January 22, 2021, 08:26:42 AM
I'd stay with as many as you can add to your vest or bag, if your main go to is a friction call then I'd have as many options as possible.
I agree with this and the statement about the aluminum above. I run three-four pots typically as well. You also don't have to "drop" one, just rotate them throughout season or each day based on weather. Slate doesn't run as good as the Ceramic in humidity. If you're proficient on a pot I'd look more at the outside factors like weather to determine which calls to bring that day, if you're not as proficient/confident then maybe you need that one you do feel confident on all the time which is just fine as well.

I'm to the point where I have enough different pots, and am confident enough running them that they get retired post kill whether it be for me or calling in a bird for someone else and I date the back of the koozie that the call stays in. It's definitely a fun added challenge not having that "Ol Faithful" that always does the job to fall back on. It will raise your confidence as a turkey hunter rather than raising your confidence in one call all the time.

EZ

Quote from: bbcoach on January 21, 2021, 03:53:39 PM
Don't drop any!  Add one more and use them all!  You never know what the birds are going to respond to.

I'm going with that. The last one I'd drop is the one you killed the most birds with. That's the one that "earned" it's spot. Might try some other call makers to get different sounds.