OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pot Call Advice Needed

Started by GunRunner, January 16, 2021, 11:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I always carry a crystal or slate call in my vest, but over my 25+ years of turkey hunting I have gained much more confidence in box calls and diaphragms and lean on them primarily.
When I run my old Thunderdome Slate or Halloran Crystal Mistress at home and indoors they sound great. However, more times than not they sound completely different when I run them outdoors. I hunt in the coastal plain areas of GA and SC, and I think my problem is the high humidity that always is present in these areas even on the sunny days and during extended dry periods. The calls do not sound as crisp and clear and even sometimes it is like the striker slips on the playing surface. So I seldom reach for the pots when hunting because I just don't have confidence in them.
I remember reading somewhere that an old timer would run his cigarette lighter flame over his slate to chase the moisture out before running it. I am hoping maybe you folks that excel with pot calls can give my some more practical advice. Are there conditioning tricks for playing surfaces or strikers that I need to learn? Or maybe I need to focus on metal  or ceramic pots?

Thanks

GunRunner
:turkey:

rakkin6

Quote from: GunRunner on January 16, 2021, 11:59:29 AM
I always carry a crystal or slate call in my vest, but over my 25+ years of turkey hunting I have gained much more confidence in box calls and diaphragms and lean on them primarily.
When I run my old Thunderdome Slate or Halloran Crystal Mistress at home and indoors they sound great. However, more times than not they sound completely different when I run them outdoors. I hunt in the coastal plain areas of GA and SC, and I think my problem is the high humidity that always is present in these areas even on the sunny days and during extended dry periods. The calls do not sound as crisp and clear and even sometimes it is like the striker slips on the playing surface. So I seldom reach for the pots when hunting because I just don't have confidence in them.
I remember reading somewhere that an old timer would run his cigarette lighter flame over his slate to chase the moisture out before running it. I am hoping maybe you folks that excel with pot calls can give my some more practical advice. Are there conditioning tricks for playing surfaces or strikers that I need to learn? Or maybe I need to focus on metal  or ceramic pots?

Thanks

GunRunner
Yeah I run a lighter under my slate. Hold it bout 6 inches under it. You will see a lot of moisture wick away. I also give it about 20 minutes between wicking the moisture away and using scotch brite.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

afhunter1

You can also use chalk on your striker to help grip.   

I carry my calls in a round Tupperware container and only get them out when using them.  They have one that fits pot calls perfect. 

I carry my strikers in plastic mailer tubes

rakkin6

I know a lot of guys swear by rain chalk. I mainly run pot and box calls. I am not very good with a mouth call.  I say rough up your strikers with a green scotch brite and has far has humidity is concerned I say get a good glass/crystal and you will be good to go.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Turkeytider

Al Holbert with Enticer calls makes a very good, I think, raw aluminum call that will run in very damp conditions. Pair it up with one of his carbon tip strikers. I always keep mine with me even if I intend to use other calls. Never know when it`ll be damp in the southern woods! Tempted to try the lighter trick, though.

TauntoHawk

Slate is my least favorite surface for the reason they seem to be the most finicky. Never had an issue running a crystal call unless raining.

I use rain chalk on all my boxes and scratch boxes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jordanz7935

In my expereince crystal and metal surfaced(aluminum & copper) are much more finicky in humid weather. But sounds like your in a much more humid environment than up here in NY. That said all pots can be finicky in humid conditions.  Waterproof and carbon tipped strikers definately seem to help get a better grip on most any surface in humid conditions. As far as slate goes, i have a green slate that seems to work alot better in humid conditions, also that call doesnt need to be conditioned half as much as a gray slate pot call. Whether a certain type of call sounds good or not to the turkeys, as you know confidence is key with any call. And it takes time and having positive calling interaction with the real thing to become confident.I know exactly what you mean, 2 seasons later I feel like im finally turning that corner with my trumpet call. Slate is by far my favorite surface for pure turkey talk.Problem is nowadays that seems like half of the good custom slate calls seem to all sound just like glass and crystal calls to my ear. Ive used and would reccomend Cody, Woodhaven, Blackstone for good  sounding slate call, but theres a lot of good customs out there by other makers and alot of the makers are right here on this forum. As for taking a lighter to a slate, ive never done it but would definately try it in a heat of the moment situation, but personally wouldnt do it regularly on one of my go to calls.

Ol timer

I for one would not add any flame to slate you run the risk of several problems cracking the slate and also heating up the glue holding down the playing surface. Best thing to do scotch brite green pad on playing surface and striker keep the dust on it to add grip.

Greg Massey

Quote from: GunRunner on January 16, 2021, 11:59:29 AM

Thanks

GunRunner
I always carry and use handwarmers .. these are a lifesaver for pot calls ...never use a lighter...

PanhandleStrutter

I wouldn't use a lighter either. I tend to just make sure I condition the slate really well before I use it and touch up the striker tip a bit. I tend to prefer a mouth call in the damp mornings vs a pot call and wait until the sun burns off some of the humidity before I break them out.