OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate call help/question

Started by Mnrookie, January 14, 2021, 10:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnrookie

Who makes a great slate, aluminium,crystal slate call?
Which do you recommend and why?
Looking to buy a new one.
Thanks for your opinions

Mnrookie

I was looking at Woodhaven but that is just to much for me to spend

Greg Massey

check with , Mark Cornelius, Clay Townsend, Larry Buster Halford, Nathan Taylor just to name a few , these guys make some fine custom pot calls.. My suggestion buy you a good custom pot call..

captpete

I will add Paul Hicks Jr. (Daddy Rat here on OG) and Jimmy Schaffer to Greg Massey's list. Mr. Hicks has several calls listed in the classifieds section right now. His Osage glass/ slate is very good.

PEte_A

All the call makers mentioned here would make you a fine pot. One call that has really impressed me in the last year was Paul Hicks Jr's zebrawood double sider, glass on front and a small slate in back. If I were looking for one call right now I'd be seeing if Paul could make one of them. As for the why, I think it sounds really good and has some added versatility as a 2 sided pot. It's also not hard on the eyes. But no need to take my word for it, he posted a pics and a sound file here:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,98192.msg966122.html#msg966122

Mnrookie

Thank you for the options, greatly appreciated

243kid

Mark Cornelius (Mac Calls) and
Dustin Jones (Blackstone)

outdoors

There's some good ones listed
I have a few really nice slate calls from John Sinclair, he makes M in a lot of exotic , beautiful wood
And all turkey ........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Turkeytider

Quote from: outdoors on January 15, 2021, 04:47:32 PM
There's some good ones listed
I have a few really nice slate calls from John Sinclair, he makes M in a lot of exotic , beautiful wood
And all turkey ........

X2 on John Sinclair slates. Also, for an aluminum, all weather pot, Al Holbert ( Enticer calls ). THey are in corian pots that you can soft call on the back. Two calls in one.

Sir-diealot

Mark Cornelius (Mac Calls) Paul Hicks Jr. (Daddy Rat here on OG) Jimmy Schaffer, John Sinclair and Mark Cunningham who just made me a set in each kind of slate in persimmon pots and I have gotten others from him as well.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Happy hooker

Mnrookie are you in Minnesota???

BTH

Mark Cunningham persimmon slate over glass. Should have never sold mine I have an Eddie Wynne 2017 slate in the same pot, I swear Mark's ran and sounded a little better.

Paul Hicks slate is a killer too.

Mac's cherry pot slate over glass is a good one.

Buster makes a good slate as well.

Phil 4:13

Loyalist84

Buster makes an outstanding glass (and ceramic) call, and you can't go wrong with Nathan Taylor for slate. I don't own a crystal call to recommend, but Jimmy Schaffer makes a great Aluminum call in his blasted/anodized surface that runs very easily. All 3 will talk to you and figure out which pot will get you the sound you want. Lots of great makers out there that others have mentioned. Can't forget Roger Parks if you're a fall hunter - his slate Gobbler Pot has some great old boss hen in it too. If I had to bring it down to one, it would be a Taylor slate in any combination or a Buster Osage Glass double sider. All of these men are building pots that will go the full spectrum of volume too - screaming to tree talk.

rakkin6

Mark Cunningham, Brad Roberts, Jimmy Schaffer, Lonzo Trice, Tj Johnson, Chad Remenaric. That's what I got lol

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Mnrookie