OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My nemesis round 3

Started by reflexl, December 28, 2020, 09:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reflexl

this is the reason I am nearly insane. I have killed 9 mature birds trying to kill this one.
His name is Kevin and he is smart. At least 5 years old. He has spent the last 3 years out smarting me and using a fence and gap that went into no mans land to elude me while I shot his buddies. He has the longest spurs I have ever seen on a live bird. What Kevin doesn't know is this year I can shoot across the fence. Unless he figures that out my chances are much better this year.

reflexl

here he is hung up accross the fence at 29 yards.

AppalachianHollers

Hope you turn the tables on him this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5arraquiver

After you shoot him this Spring. Please show this old Tom some respect and give him a full name.
Kevin Turkey Bacon
Good luck brother!
Questions? Answer: Jesus

Tom007

Best of luck, hope you roll him. I will tell you though, I had a similar experience years ago, and once I got him, there was a weird sadness that the pursuit was over....be safe....
"Solo hunter"

reflexl

Quote from: Tom007 on December 29, 2020, 06:38:34 AM
Best of luck, hope you roll him. I will tell you though, I had a similar experience years ago, and once I got him, there was a weird sadness that the pursuit was over....be safe....

I have had a few birds that I hunted for more than one season. I know that sadness. I killed one we called crooked beard that was nearly like an old friend after I finally got him.
He was easy to identify but nearly impossible to kill. He would move roost sites during the night. I would think I was set up on him then he would fly down 200 yards away. I finally got in between him and where he wanted to go and set up dekes about 25-30 yards past me. I got aggressive one morning and he came in and froze up right in front of me. He instantly picked me off but it was too late. As soon as he hit the ground I felt some kind of weird remorse.

Crooked beard

Tom007

Quote from: reflexl on December 29, 2020, 09:02:20 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on December 29, 2020, 06:38:34 AM

I have had a few birds that I hunted for more than one season. I know that sadness. I killed one we called crooked beard that was nearly like an old friend after I finally got him.
He was easy to identify but nearly impossible to kill. He would move roost sites during the night. I would think I was set up on him then he would fly down 200 yards away. I finally got in between him and where he wanted to go and set up dekes about 25-30 yards past me. I got aggressive one morning and he came in and froze up right in front of me. He instantly picked me off but it was too late. As soon as he hit the ground I felt some kind of weird remorse.

Crooked beard

Wow, great story. You know what I felt. Let's pray we all get our chance this spring. Be safe, it's right around the corner....
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

I wish you the best of luck, I have yet to go after a single bird like that, hope to one day.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

POk3s

Nearly insane? It appears you're doing better than me!

Go get him!

reflexl

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 29, 2020, 02:29:02 PM
I wish you the best of luck, I have yet to go after a single bird like that, hope to one day.

Done it several times. It sure adds a new dimension. I have had two birds like that I never killed that I am sure died of old age. Gobblezilla was a giant bodied bird. Probably 26-28 pounds. A legit 12" beard and 1.5" spurs. I know he lived 6 years. He was spotted in a field off the property by a "pro" turkey hunter. They watched him with binoculars and realized how big the bird was. He came to me at work and asked about the bird because he knew I hunted there. A few days later I was in Walmart and there was a turkey hunter that if I mentioned his name everyone on this forum would recognize. I know him and saw he was buying a TN license. He told me he was going after a giant bird. The more he talked the more I realized that they were going to try to make a TV star out of Gobblezilla.

It didn't work. They brought in another hired gun. Same result. Gobblezilla was smart. He just knew how to get away. I got close several times but couldn't close the deal. I guess he earned the right to die a natural death.

One lesson I learned. I actually passed on some good birds trying to kill the hard birds. I read a story about a turkey hunter that changed my point of view. If a mature bird starts working why pass him. A bird in the field beats 2 in the other end of the field every time. If a good bird comes in shoot him.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: reflexl on December 29, 2020, 05:32:57 PM

Done it several times. It sure adds a new dimension. I have had two birds like that I never killed that I am sure died of old age. Gobblezilla was a giant bodied bird. Probably 26-28 pounds. A legit 12" beard and 1.5" spurs. I know he lived 6 years. He was spotted in a field off the property by a "pro" turkey hunter. They watched him with binoculars and realized how big the bird was. He came to me at work and asked about the bird because he knew I hunted there. A few days later I was in Walmart and there was a turkey hunter that if I mentioned his name everyone on this forum would recognize. I know him and saw he was buying a TN license. He told me he was going after a giant bird. The more he talked the more I realized that they were going to try to make a TV star out of Gobblezilla.

It didn't work. They brought in another hired gun. Same result. Gobblezilla was smart. He just knew how to get away. I got close several times but couldn't close the deal. I guess he earned the right to die a natural death.

One lesson I learned. I actually passed on some good birds trying to kill the hard birds. I read a story about a turkey hunter that changed my point of view. If a mature bird starts working why pass him. A bird in the field beats 2 in the other end of the field every time. If a good bird comes in shoot him.
I am sure had my accident not happened and I had been able to hunt those 17 years that I lost I would have had that for at least one season anyway. I am trying a few things to try to get out of the blind this year, I have one seat already and intend to try two more as well as Glenda's new inner tube seat, I really do miss being outside when I hunt, the old saying that a blind blinds you is no joke, you miss so much, I miss having chipmunks running down my head, chest and legs and stopping on my boots trying to figure out what is different here and looking to the side and seeing a spiderweb with the morning dew glistening in the morning sunlight. You just don't get that in a blind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

reflexl

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 30, 2020, 12:45:24 AM
Quote from: reflexl on December 29, 2020, 05:32:57 PM

I am sure had my accident not happened and I had been able to hunt those 17 years that I lost I would have had that for at least one season anyway. I am trying a few things to try to get out of the blind this year, I have one seat already and intend to try two more as well as Glenda's new inner tube seat, I really do miss being outside when I hunt, the old saying that a blind blinds you is no joke, you miss so much, I miss having chipmunks running down my head, chest and legs and stopping on my boots trying to figure out what is different here and looking to the side and seeing a spiderweb with the morning dew glistening in the morning sunlight. You just don't get that in a blind.

I sure hope you can get out and chase them again. I have tried turkey hunting from a blind. There is a time and place for it but there are very few things in life quite like trying to make a move on a big gobbler. I have been at war with one for hours as I am sure you have in the past. Nothing like it. As you said the chipmunks, birds and deer that are trying to sort things out make a hunt. Best of luck to you on being able to get after them.

reflexl

Kevin last year. Watching him from bright shiny freshly waxed SUV. He knew he was safe.

reflexl

RutnNStrutn

Good luck!! Post some pics of those daggers when you get Me. Kevin!!

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.