OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12'' beards

Started by treein dixie, December 26, 2020, 09:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treein dixie

I have seen plenty 10-11'' but how often 12'' or longer?  Or do most wear off before then?

1iagobblergetter

In around 20 years of hunting them I've killed alot of 10in-11in bearded toms and very few 12inch +.
I'm sure some of it is where we live & hunt,terrain,etc.

guesswho

They're a lot like true 1 1/2" spurs.  A lot more claims than actual specimens. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tom007

Quote from: guesswho on December 27, 2020, 08:15:58 AM

100% agree, most 1.5 inch spurs are solid 1 1/4 inch when measured correctly. X2 on the 12 inch beard. I think they are rare due to turkey feeding habits, wearing them down. Be safe.....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeyman

I've gotten more than a few birds with three things as sort of a desire: 1) 25# bird...achieved, 2) 1 1/2" spurs...achieved, 3) 12" beard...still waiting.

PalmettoRon

It is a rare feat to take a gobbler with a legitimate 12" beard. First of all, the gobbler has to survive 3-4 years. Then the terrain needs to be friendly without much ice or snow too. I've been fortunate to hunt turkeys for around 40 years. I've hunted gobblers all over creation including over 25 years in FL where the terrain is gentle and there is no snow or ice. I've killed a lot of gobblers as I'm getting old and I spend a lot of time each Spring and some in the Fall hunting gobblers. I only have 2 legitimate 12" bearded birds. If you are fortunate enough to take a 12" bearded gobbler, mount that bird! While I have several mounts, I stupidly did not mount either of my 12" birds. Having said all that, one of the 12+" birds I took was killed in AZ where the terrain is very rocky and has plenty of snow and ice as it is around 8K ft in elevation. That same bird had relatively small blunted spurs due to the terrain. Go figure!

Happy

Up here in the mountains its a very rare thing. To much snow and ice. I believe I have seen one that would have pushed 12". In 20 years of hunting them I believe 10and 3/4" has been my best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

I agree with the sentiments expressed that 12" beards are rare.  Due to the "nature of the beast",...that is, the fact that once a beard reaches a certain length, it is constantly being dragged on the ground in the everyday activities of a gobbler,...it is actually pretty easy to understand why. 

Supposedly, beards are constantly growing and, regardless of a gobbler's age, never stop.  If that is indeed true, then the obvious explanation for beards not normally growing to 12" or longer is because a gobbler's anatomy and size is such that, once a beard hair reaches somewhere in the vicinity of 11" or so, it is most likely going to be worn/broken off near the tip. 

The real question is why do some gobblers end up with longer beards?  To me, the only plausible explanations are that some gobblers have genetics that either result in more durable beard hairs that are not as likely to break off, and/or some gobblers have beards that are crooked, curly, or otherwise hang from their breasts such that they are not as likely to be worn off because they are not constantly being dragged on the ground. 

We occasionally hear of gobblers with very long beards, way in excess of 12".  I can't imagine how that could happen, but apparently it can. ...Either that, or some folks are awfully good with superglue!  ;D :toothy12:

eggshell

Hey, I killed one with 23.5" inches of beard.....Oh wait you mean all in one beard, never mind :funnyturkey:

I have 0 legit 12" single beards and I have killed a pretty good pile of birds, including a grand slam. I  have a friend that killed one with a legit 13" beard, I measured it and it wasn't one hair that long. Funny thing is it came out of the same group I killed a 4 bearded bird from. So Gobblenut, I agree it must be genetics. I have killed several double bearded and most in the same area.

Greg Massey

I agree , it all has to do with the genetics and habitat of the gobblers , same with seeing bearded hens.  it's rare to see many birds in my area with 12 inch beards , what you do see is some having what we call rope beard which is very thick and we also have just the average beards .. The heavy thick beards are less in our area also.

WildTigerTrout

Back in 2004 a friend and I tag teamed a nice gobbler. I killed him.  He had a really long beard!  Several rogue strands stretched it to 12 1/2"!! By the time we got him out of the woods and back to the Jeep those few strands had broke off and his beard was 11 1/4".  Still a dandy and my longest beard to date. I have killed several since that went 10 1/2 to 10 3/4".  IMO 10 inch is about max on most gobblers.  Here in the mountains of Pennsylvania they tend to break off the ends or freeze them off during the winter season. I have never heard of another gobbler around this area with a 12"+ beard.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

310 gauge

Back in 1993 & 1995 several of my friends and I went to Eldorado, Texas on a deer hunt. The hunt package included a Rio Gobbler and since we simply did not have Turkeys back in our County in Eastern North Carolina when we grew up none of us were the least bit worked up about it. Of course, it being Fall the Turkeys were flocked up and my crowd made quick work of their birds. On the last day I had what the Guides described as a "Rogue" bird walk by. I have been on numerous out of state hunts before and have never had a Guide sit with me, but this lone Turkey seemed like a pretty good 'un. His beard measured out at 11 3/4 " and so they talked me into getting a Fan/Beard mount spread done. They asked me about including his feet and I asked why? Could not tell you today what his Spurs measured! Breast meat took freezer burnt and wife threw it away! Went back in 1995 and didn't even try to shoot one, even though it was in the paid package, because I had one and didn't see the need in killing another. Fast forward to 2016 and this Turkey deal has took a hold on me like a hog to mud! That single Rio bird along with this bunch of Easterns in the last few years has got me closer to a Slam that I hope to have one day, Lord willing....

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 27, 2020, 10:12:42 AM
We occasionally hear of gobblers with very long beards, way in excess of 12".  I can't imagine how that could happen, but apparently it can. ...Either that, or some folks are awfully good with superglue!  ;D :toothy12:
Also known as a PA trophy kit :TooFunny:. There are probably a couple on here that will know who and what I'm talking about.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeytider

Any beard that clears 10" is an excellent one, same with spurs over 1 1/4". I`ve personally not harvested a large number of turkeys, but will probably start letting more walk while looking for a " paintbrush ". I enjoy playing the game and don`t always have to pull the trigger to have a great day in the woods.

derek

Quote from: guesswho on December 27, 2020, 08:15:58 AM

Not that I've seen a lot of 1 1/2"ers, but I have killed them.  I have not killed a bird with a legit 12" beard.  Closest was 11 1/2".. and he had nubs for spurs. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com