OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Suggestions Needed

Started by bdirks, December 22, 2020, 09:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdirks

I like pot calls and I am always trying something new or different. I am looking for my next call combination, call surface and soundboard. Here is what I have...
Slate over glass
Slate over slate
Slate over aluminum
Glass over glass
Glass over slate
Glass over wood (cherry)
Ceramic over glass
Crystal over Copper
Copper over acrylic
Stainless Steel over acrylic
Anodized Aluminum over acrylic
Green Slate over glass

Anyone try something different?

Tom007

Titanium makes a unique sound. Comes in different combos. Makes great yelps, calls soft and loud. Take a look at it......good luck.....
"Solo hunter"

Jrkimbrough

I've built a few purr pots like this with a wood playing surface

Tom007

Beauties, bet they sound great....
"Solo hunter"

outdoors

Have you tried it with no sound board
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ChesterCopperpot

I'm a big fan of metal surfaces. I'd add something brass to the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Wise

I would suggest red slate over slate or glass and a crystal over slate or aluminum.

paboxcall

I'd try a 3.25" assuming yours are all 3.5". And make it bead blasted glass over glass.

I much prefer the slightly smaller pot diameter. Easier to control, slightly sharper yelp.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Loyalist84

Red slate over glass was a killer combo for me last season.

Footballer

Purple slate over glass

M,Yingling

Looks like u got good many pots already ,,  always got remember even if same surface all calls from different builders  dont sound same  ,,case in point  recently had a fellow wanting a higher cleaner pitched call what he likes was a metal surface ,, in mean time texting back forth he says he likes a more of mellow slate but i had a green slate in very hard wood  sitting around i didnt care for was to high pitched for me so never sold it i tossed it in his box and tells me he realy liked the slate its more of a mellower tone then others he has ,,, so their u go u never know ,  listen to some soundfiles from makers and figure out sound u like
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

bbcoach

I'm a pot call guy as well.  I love the different sounds that call makers get from different woods, surfaces and internal geometry.  I have several different call makers calls along with numerous surfaces as well.  Darrin Dawkins makes an acrylic pot with a stoned aluminum playing surface and glass sound board that is pretty amazing.  My go to call is an acrylic pot with slate over glass with a dymondwood or laminated wood striker.  Not sure what is so special about this calls sound but it has brought many a bird to my gun barrel, which includes a Grand Slam to it's credit.  Good luck with your search. 

Greg Massey

Quote from: Footballer on December 22, 2020, 05:42:17 PM
Purple slate over glass

XXXXX 2 ...purple slate

PalmettoRon

I carry at least one slate, a ceramic, a glass over slate and recently got a brass pot from RCL calls that sounds really good when paired with Jeff Harrison's Tulipwood striker. I'm excited to try the brass out this Spring.

3bailey3

If you don't have a pot from Clay Townsend you need one and a few of his strikers! I just got a purple slate in a walnut pot and i have his osage glass call on the way! It will be my third him him all smokers!