turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scales,...A Weighing Question

Started by GobbleNut, December 19, 2020, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

I have had this for the past 16-17 years and is still accurate. Not inexpensive but it is very well made.

Brecknell ElectroSamson Scale

MK M GOBL

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on December 19, 2020, 07:21:25 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on December 19, 2020, 02:11:18 PM
From what I have seen over the years in weighing turkeys (or anything else of similar size), the digital scales that are available are notoriously inaccurate.
I think the problem is from lack of use.  Scales need to be used more than once every four or five years.

That's a bit optimistic for me, but I'm glad you have such confidence in my abilities.  I try to keep the years between gobblers in the single digits.   

I have weighed three or four over the years, and being the inquisitive sort I am, I have used a variety of weighing instruments in an effort to sort out which is "best".  By "best" I mean the scales that gives me the heaviest weight.  For instance, if I have a gobbler that weighs 15 pounds on one scale but weighs 32 on another one, I will naturally assume that the 32 pounds is correct.

My understanding is that that is the way it is done by all you southeasterners in "the contest", and I want to make sure I am doing things right.  After all, you guys are the experts.   ;D :toothy12: :angel9:

guesswho

You tie a parachute cord to his feet, then the other end to the scales.  You raise the turkey above your head and drop him.  Watch the scale, and the highest number you see is his official contest weight.  Make sure the cord is not to long so he doesn't hit the ground.  That really cuts into the weight.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

packmule

This is a refreshing thread, been fun to read.