OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Scales,...A Weighing Question

Started by GobbleNut, December 19, 2020, 02:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

From what I have seen over the years in weighing turkeys (or anything else of similar size), the digital scales that are available are notoriously inaccurate.  Anybody here found a scale that will consistently give the correct reading when weighing anything?  I have used a number of different types of scales and have yet to find one that I think will give a true reading, as well as do it consistently. 

I have used several different brands, and not only do they fluctuate by a half pound or more with a bird hanging on them, but they also will give considerably different weight readings if you weigh a bird multiple times.  I have yet to find a scale that does not do that. 

I would like to find a scale that you can put a gobbler on it and it will hit the true weight and stay there.  Anybody found one?...

davisd9

My Rapala will put the same weight up every time. You do have to hang it and give it a moment to get to weight. A breeze or something can make it fluctuate a couple ounces but if still and hanging on something then no issues. Do not know if it is accurate but it is consistent.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bobk

I have found a Boga Grip to be both consistent  and accurate. There are designed to weight fish up to 40# and are expensive. I have been using mine for about 15 years in both salt and fresh water as well as weighing most anything on land and it is like new.

captpete

I bought this one to use when tuning my bow. It is fairly accurate and gives consistent readings. I never really weighed any thing but the draw weight on the bow, so I don't how it would work on a turkey or something lighter. I have had it for about 5 years and have used it multiple times on my and several friends bows without any troubles. The down side with is it's a little on the pricy side. I think they make one that has a lower max weight also

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FY3JJE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Greg Massey

Use a bathroom scales .. :TooFunny:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 19, 2020, 02:11:18 PM
From what I have seen over the years in weighing turkeys (or anything else of similar size), the digital scales that are available are notoriously inaccurate.
I think the problem is from lack of use.  Scales need to be used more than once every four or five years.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Jstocks

I want some of those scales the guys who frequent the turkey contest on other sites use. I'd say only a very small fraction of turkeys I've killed in Ms and Alabama have weighed 20 lbs. (maybe 3 - 5, but surely less than 10 in a hundred) have weighed 20 lbs. I swear it's the opposite ratio for some fellas. Seems like they killing 20+ lb gobblers out of pine thickets on a regular basis and the odd one out weighs 19.5........lol

I use some old nwtf manual scales. They have a tape measure on them too. Heck, maybe my scale and tape need calibration now that I think of it......

bigriverbum

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 19, 2020, 04:18:32 PM

that's what i do.

step on with bird. step on without. subtract

do it twice if you're really concerned about it

ChesterCopperpot

If you want a set of really good, last you your whole life scales, Chatillons. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: bigriverbum on December 19, 2020, 09:35:25 PM

that's what i do.

Also what I do

silvestris

The only two times I weighed one was on a balance doctor's scale.  Weight is a mere statistic, unlike character.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Devastator

I am lucky enough to work in a meat plant and can weigh them on a certified scale.

bigriverbum

Quote from: silvestris on December 20, 2020, 12:35:54 AM
The only two times I weighed one was on a balance doctor's scale.  Weight is a mere statistic, unlike character.

i agree, but the 28lb bird my 10 year old nephew shot this spring had a hell of a lot of character  :drool:

Cowboy

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on December 20, 2020, 12:32:34 AM

that's what i do.

Also what I do

Yep. Done the same thing few times....

Tail Feathers

that's what i do.

I use fish scales but I step on the tom's head as I pull it up to weigh it.  Got a 43 pounder last year that way.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!