OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ash for a call?

Started by Sir-diealot, December 13, 2020, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Does anyone happen to have a pot call made of Ash? If so what surface/soundboard combinations and what do you think of them? I would like to see some pictures and hear some soundfiles if possible.

The reason I am asking is one of the woods I remember cutting splitting the most when I was young and working in the woods with my father was Ash wood, I remember it burned well and long so was desirable. I would like to get another call that would remind me of him, I have a Applewood and Black Mullbery Frictionwood call from Grizz that reminds me of some old memories and would like to add an ash as well. Who would you guys suggest getting one from? Thank you for your time.

I guess I should add I am looking to do this around March or April, I am already set with 3 call makers for calls in January and February.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

HookedonHooks

Have seen many Ash Burl calls, in several surfaces.

I'd imagine a solid Ash pot would make a decent slate. Jimmy Schaffer or Mark Cornelius are two NE callmalers I'd recommend getting in touch with either for the project.

Loyalist84

If I remember right, Mike Yingling makes a copper call in a flamed ash pot.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: HookedonHooks on December 13, 2020, 05:58:05 PM
Have seen many Ash Burl calls, in several surfaces.

I'd imagine a solid Ash pot would make a decent slate. Jimmy Schaffer or Mark Cornelius are two NE callmalers I'd recommend getting in touch with either for the project.
Thank you much, maybe Mark will see this and reply.

Quote from: Loyalist84 on December 13, 2020, 06:01:08 PM
If I remember right, Mike Yingling makes a copper call in a flamed ash pot.
I hope he sees this and replies, not sure I want another copper, though I would be interested in other surfaces.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

doublespurs21

Sir-diealot.. you have a PM,,,,,,

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

I guess I should add I am looking to do this around March or April, I am already set with 3 call makers for calls in January and February. I will add this up top as well.

John Koenig:

PEte_A

If you want to see some beautiful ash burl look up black ash burl...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: PEte_A on December 13, 2020, 07:26:46 PM
Looking now, is it always stabilized?

John Koenig:

Mad_Baron

Ash is plentiful now and reasonable prices since Beatles are killing the trees.  I took down 2 very large, old Ash tree a few years ago, it has been air dried and I have several pot call blanks cut up.  I will be making  several Ash with slate, aluminum and ceramic in near future since the wood is dry now.  Old, dense Ash can make a good pot call.
John Haines

Mad Baron Calls
NWTF Chapter President
NWTF Indiana State Board Member

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mad_Baron on December 13, 2020, 07:58:02 PM
Ash is plentiful now and reasonable prices since Beatles are killing the trees.  I took down 2 very large, old Ash tree a few years ago, it has been air dried and I have several pot call blanks cut up.  I will be making  several Ash with slate, aluminum and ceramic in near future since the wood is dry now.  Old, dense Ash can make a good pot call.
I look foreword to seeing them.

John Koenig:

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 13, 2020, 07:29:34 PM
Quote from: PEte_A on December 13, 2020, 07:26:46 PM
Looking now, is it always stabilized?
Burls pretty much all will be stabilized for a pot, as it's often not stable enough to turn on a lathe without blowing up, just due to the nature of burl and all the voids it has. This definitely includes Ash Burl, and is most species for sure.

I'd imagine a good piece of Osage burl or Cocobola burl wouldn't need stabilized, but that stuff is rare on both accounts.

Mad_Baron

Were you looking for normal Ash or Black Ash Burl?  Big difference between them.
Thanks
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 13, 2020, 08:54:02 PM
John Haines

Mad Baron Calls
NWTF Chapter President
NWTF Indiana State Board Member

M,Yingling

I have done lots calls made from ash every thing from crow ,goose, tubes ,deer grunts and pot calls ,, makes for a great sounding call to me its good medium hard wood ,,, thats all white ash    ,, normally its a pretty plain wood one reasons i flame it a bit ,, but like any wood its got curl or burl ,, i like the crotch stuff myself
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Mad_Baron on December 14, 2020, 12:43:18 PM
Were you looking for normal Ash or Black Ash Burl?  Big difference between them.
Thanks
Quote from: Sir-diealot on December 13, 2020, 08:54:02 PM
I would think with White Ash being the most plentiful here in NY that that would have been what we were cutting so I think I would like White Ash. It does not have to be burl.

Quote from: M,Yingling on December 14, 2020, 04:46:25 PM
I have done lots calls made from ash every thing from crow ,goose, tubes ,deer grunts and pot calls ,, makes for a great sounding call to me its good medium hard wood ,,, thats all white ash    ,, normally its a pretty plain wood one reasons i flame it a bit ,, but like any wood its got curl or burl ,, i like the crotch stuff myself
Thank you for the education, I had a feeling it would not be overly fancy from what I can remember while splitting it, but that was back in the early and mid 80's so I was not sure if I was remembering correctly.

John Koenig: