turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poplar pot call question

Started by Beardscustom, December 12, 2020, 10:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beardscustom

Rummaging around in my grandaddy shop and found some poplar. Since he's passed away. I thought it would be cool to turn a call from it. My question is poplar a good wood for a pot and if you could choose a calling surface what would you choose.

Greg Massey

Regardless, if it's a piece of wood from your grandaddy shop , look at the memories you would have in making that pot call.. you never know until you try .. good luck with making the call...

Beardscustom

Thank you. I went ahead and turned one out of it. Itll be a keepsake for sure

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Beardscustom

Went with a blasted crystal over slate. There are flaws in it due to my screw up. But all in all I like it. Haven't run it yet. Letting it all dry.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

I've got some killer Poplar pots, but they're from the Poplar King himself, and that's Mr. Brad Roberts.

He makes great slate and glass calls out of them. Definitely a mellower, little hollow(er) sounding hen, but she's in there, you just gotta find her.

Beardscustom

I'm curious what striker will sound the best I've got several species that I've turned   I

Beards and Hooks

Looks nice, be great to get a bird with that special call for sure!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Beardscustom

Thank you.  Itll definitely be with me next spring.

M,Yingling

Nice work  ,, would be a good way remember him  for sure  :icon_thumright:

popular makes good running call its a light wood reminds me of boxelder as a call maker on lighter woods may just have to make bottoms or sides a  bit thicker that way u get rid of the hollow sound
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Beardscustom

Thanks. I'll try that next time 

shatcher

I've asked the same thing on here.  I'm guessing green slate over glass in a poplar pot would be great.

Beardscustom

I'll have to try that out thanks.

Tom007

Quote from: HookedonHooks on December 14, 2020, 09:10:32 AM
I've got some killer Poplar pots, but they're from the Poplar King himself, and that's Mr. Brad Roberts.

He makes great slate and glass calls out of them. Definitely a mellower, little hollow(er) sounding hen, but she's in there, you just gotta find her.

100 % agree here. I have a Brad Roberts poplar slate. It is a unique killer for sure. Beardscustom, your call looks great, great memories and an heirloom for sure....
"Solo hunter"

Beardscustom

Thank you