OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ever calm deer scent

Started by 3bailey3, December 09, 2020, 10:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

So i have had some since last season and had used it but i couldn't tell if it was helping or not, until today, it was warm today and i had a long walk in so i wore my work ankle boots and covered it on them, i hadn't been in my ladder stand long when 8 does come following every step i had made. i had 8 deer smelling of the steps of my stand, they all kept putting their nose up trying to find that scent, not once alarmed. I will be using from now own!

BigSlam51

I've been using that stuff for about 5 years now. Always had good results.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tracker#1

I've used it for years. For me, it works great. The smell reminds me of my daughter's horse barn. When I get within 60 yards of stand/blind I apply to the sides/soles of boots. As I walk to the stand I also touch saplings/trees along the way with it to the stand. Remember, if you apply to sides of anything like clothing. it dries"white" and hard to remove. When the season is over, leftover goes into food sealer vacuum pack bag then into the refrigerator for next season. Last a long time that way...

Muzzy61

I've used for awhile now and have as had good results.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Dtrkyman

One of the only deer scents I have ever tried that had positive results, open it and throw it under my decoy.

El Pavo Grande

I like the deer herd scent.  Spat down with Nose Jammer and then use that.  Seems to work well.   

bbcoach

I'll probably get blasted for this post but this stuff seems like another Gimmick to me.  A scent that Calms deer?  Where is the research behind it?  Deer excrete this?  From where?  This seems to be something that deer managers have come up with to make us think we can CALM our fears of not spooking deer and take your money.  Bedding area scents??  Really?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 15, 2020, 09:04:28 AM
I'll probably get blasted for this post but this stuff seems like another Gimmick to me.  A scent that Calms deer?  Where is the research behind it?  Deer excrete this?  From where?  This seems to be something that deer managers have come up with to make us think we can CALM our fears of not spooking deer and take your money.  Bedding area scents??  Really?
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I don't think it's a miracle cure of any sort, but I do think it helps cover ground scent. Really the same as most other scent control products. I'm trying to buy a second or two of time and I've found those products often help with that. I'm obsessive when it comes to scent control and even with all those precautions if the wind's in their favor, particularly the later it gets in the season, you're getting busted. That said I've had too many times to count when they hit my trail and should've cut my ground scent but didn't bugger and I believe with Ever Calm it's because they smelled deer instead of human. All that said, if the wind's right and you're good at playing that wind you could've been homeless for six months, wearing the same clothes, having not bathed and they're not smelling you. So learn to play the wind and save the cash for turkey calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 15, 2020, 09:19:54 AM
Everyone's entitled to an opinion. I don't think it's a miracle cure of any sort, but I do think it helps cover ground scent. Really the same as most other scent control products. I'm trying to buy a second or two of time and I've found those products often help with that. I'm obsessive when it comes to scent control and even with all those precautions if the wind's in their favor, particularly the later it gets in the season, you're getting busted. That said I've had too many times to count when they hit my trail and should've cut my ground scent but didn't bugger and I believe with Ever Calm it's because they smelled deer instead of human. All that said, if the wind's right and you're good at playing that wind you could've been homeless for six months, wearing the same clothes, having not bathed and they're not smelling you. So learn to play the wind and save the cash for turkey calls.

Not trying to Ruffle any Feathers but wondering about the Logic behind this.                                                   

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: bbcoach on December 15, 2020, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on December 15, 2020, 09:19:54 AM

Not trying to Ruffle any Feathers but wondering about the Logic behind this.                                                 
The logic behind attempting to cover ground scent?

Bowguy

Fellows deer hunting 101. Hunt the wind on stand, use it to plan entry/exit and make sure it's not blowing toward them after they pass. Wouldn't matter if the stuff worked at that point but I've used it after hearing stuff about how great it was. Imo it doesn't work and they're too proud of it price wise.

Chris O

I bet the deer do follow the scent trail. I have put several different scents on my boots over the years and the deer will follow whether it's red fox urine, raccoon urine ,deer formula, golden estrus , skunk, apple scent, vanilla. I have tried others also and it all worked to some degree. Do they still make deer formula? That was one that worked pretty well. I may have to try this one also there is nothing better than watching a buck bird dogging your sent trail and stopping right where you want him to.

BigSlam51

Quote from: Bowguy on December 18, 2020, 03:30:10 AM
Fellows deer hunting 101. Hunt the wind on stand, use it to plan entry/exit and make sure it's not blowing toward them after they pass. Wouldn't matter if the stuff worked at that point but I've used it after hearing stuff about how great it was. Imo it doesn't work and they're too proud of it price wise.
Its $15-20 for a stick that lasts all season, not that expensive imo.

Bowguy

Quote from: BigSlam51 on December 18, 2020, 08:18:41 PM

Shoot that's not. I'm mis speaking. The other one is $50 bucks. Is it VS1 or something?

BigSlam51

Quote from: Bowguy on December 18, 2020, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: BigSlam51 on December 18, 2020, 08:18:41 PM

Shoot that's not. I'm mis speaking. The other one is $50 bucks. Is it VS1 or something?
Yeah that stuff is expensive. I've never used that, just the regular stuff.